Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

How do I include a nested quote in replies?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2013, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR

When reply to a post, the quotes within the post will not carry over in my reply. How do I keep them in?
Old Jul 4, 2013, 12:01 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
The only way I've found to do it is to use multiquote (the blue button to the right of the "Quote" button at the bottom of posts).
Old Jul 4, 2013, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The only ways I have found to keep the nested quotes when I quote a post is to either do multi-quote so I quote the post which was nested and then move the nested quote inside the post that quoted it or drag to highlight the nested quote (including the poster's handle), copy it and paste it into the post and then manually insert the quote code
Old Jul 5, 2013, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by lo2e
The only way I've found to do it is to use multiquote (the blue button to the right of the "Quote" button at the bottom of posts).
Originally Posted by goalie
The only ways I have found to keep the nested quotes when I quote a post is to either do multi-quote so I quote the post which was nested and then move the nested quote inside the post that quoted it or drag to highlight the nested quote (including the poster's handle), copy it and paste it into the post and then manually insert the quote code
Thanks for the replies. I also use the manual procedure when the earlier post was buried several pages earlier and hard to find, but I hope there is some way that is less awkward.
Old Jul 10, 2013, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
Originally Posted by lo2e
Originally Posted by goalie
Thanks for the replies. I also use the manual procedure when the earlier post was buried several pages earlier and hard to find, but I hope there is some way that is less awkward.
Not really. I can say that in however many thousands of posts I have made on FlyerTalk, I've only ever found it useful a small handful of times (probably less than 10).

Note that the ancient-and-probably-soon-to-be-depreciated WAP version of the FT site (http://gallery.flyertalk.com/wap) does quote the entire quoted post, including any material quoted in the quoted post, resulting in a nested quote. This isn't intentional so much as it is the third-party software that handles the WAP posting is too stupid to know how to strip out quoted material in a quoted post.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by PanAmWT
When reply to a post, the quotes within the post will not carry over in my reply. How do I keep them in?
I've been wondering about this too. It's been some time when a post quote would automatically look like this one:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21130201-post6.html

If you select "quote" now, all that's quoted is CubsFanJohn's reply, not what was nested above it.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
Like Multi-Quotes

Originally Posted by jackal
...Note that the ancient-and-probably-soon-to-be-depreciated WAP version of the FT site (http://gallery.flyertalk.com/wap) does quote the entire quoted post, including any material quoted in the quoted post, resulting in a nested quote...
I found nested quotes in the old version to be useful, and am glad that it will survive (via the multi-quote button) procedure in the new version.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.