Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Anyone else having trouble with FireFox? ( V 20.0.1 for windows )

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2013, 10:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?

As of this morning, when I open a forum on FT with FireFox, it doesn't display the buttons to post or reply to a thread.

I'm posting this using Chrome.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:34 am
Retired admin. Please direct issues to IBobi.

Hi, does this happen on all threads? We are able to see the reply and post buttons on Firefox just fine on our end. Have you tried clearing your cache? Thank you.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:52 am
Original Poster

I've seen it both on United and Coupon Connection. Just tried the simple cache clear, and that doesn't seem to help.

I do have a number of FF add ons installed, and that might be an issue, but I've had the same add ons for a couple years, and FT has worked fine for me.
Old May 3, 2013, 10:55 am
Retired admin. Please direct issues to IBobi.

Add-ons are often an issue so that might be the problem but I'll run this by our tech team just in case.
Old May 3, 2013, 11:04 am
Administrator

Programs: SPG
Phil, when the issue occurs in firefox, can you try opening an "Incognito Mode" window and seeing if the issue replicates?

When the issue occurs, are you able to retrieve the REPLY image directly?

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...tons/reply.gif

Thank you
Old May 3, 2013, 11:47 am
Used to be 'FTcadence'

Is there any chance that Ghostery is one of the plugs in that you have running? Unless I hit pause before hopping on FT, more than just the ads are missing.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TravelingPeanut
Is there any chance that Ghostery is one of the plugs in that you have running? Unless I hit pause before hopping on FT, more than just the ads are missing.
Yes, and I think you get the Sherlock Holmes award. If I disable Ghostery, FT displays the buttons. When I re-enable Ghostery, the buttons disappear again.
Old May 3, 2013, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
Phil, when the issue occurs in firefox, can you try opening an "Incognito Mode" window and seeing if the issue replicates?

When the issue occurs, are you able to retrieve the REPLY image directly?

http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...tons/reply.gif

Thank you
If "Incognito Mode" is the same thing as "New Private Window" then that does not solve the problem. Using FF with ghostery enabled, I used FF and clicked on the link provided, and FF does display the "Reply" button image. Hope this helps.
Old May 8, 2013, 11:33 pm
Original Poster

So I did a FF "Reset" (under Help -> Trouble shooting) and reinstalled Ghostery & other plug ins I've been running, and now FlyterTalk is operating normally for me.

Go figgur.
Old May 10, 2013, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Phil Level
Yes, and I think you get the Sherlock Holmes award. If I disable Ghostery, FT displays the buttons. When I re-enable Ghostery, the buttons disappear again.
Yep. I was having the same problem. Turns out it was because Ghostery was blocking InternetBrands (the owner of FlyerTalk). Unblocking it solved the problem.

I'm not sure why this wasn't a problem until last week. Maybe they changed how the buttons were served?
Old May 10, 2013, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rare
Yep. I was having the same problem. Turns out it was because Ghostery was blocking InternetBrands (the owner of FlyerTalk). Unblocking it solved the problem.

I'm not sure why this wasn't a problem until last week. Maybe they changed how the buttons were served?
I was thinking something similar, that maybe an update to the FT board code cause the problem, however as a former programmer, I also realized that it could have been an update to FF, any of the plugins, or even a Windows update.

Any, not sure if my earlier post was clear, but the Firefox reset did solve the problem, and made FF zippy again (it had gotten somewhat sluggish). I did have to reinstall plugins, but it does retain usernames/passwords and the like.
Old May 13, 2013, 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by Phil Level
I was thinking something similar, that maybe an update to the FT board code cause the problem, however as a former programmer, I also realized that it could have been an update to FF, any of the plugins, or even a Windows update.
In my case, I'm using Safari on a Mac. It was clearly a problem with Ghostery blocking InternetBrands. The question is, why did it suddenly start a week (or two, now) ago? Either something changed with the FT board code, or Ghostery automatically updated its blocking list. Aha! I see that I have the "Enable bug list auto-updating" setting checked. That could very well be what happened.

Any, not sure if my earlier post was clear, but the Firefox reset did solve the problem, and made FF zippy again (it had gotten somewhat sluggish). I did have to reinstall plugins, but it does retain usernames/passwords and the like.
I'd be curious whether your Ghostery (if you're still running it) re-adds InternetBrands to its block list, assuming that the reset/reinstall caused a revert to a list prior to that addition. If so, then at least you shouldn't have to do a full reset again (though it sounds like it was worth doing it once).
Old May 13, 2013, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Rare
In my case, I'm using Safari on a Mac. It was clearly a problem with Ghostery blocking InternetBrands. The question is, why did it suddenly start a week (or two, now) ago? Either something changed with the FT board code, or Ghostery automatically updated its blocking list. Aha! I see that I have the "Enable bug list auto-updating" setting checked. That could very well be what happened.

I'd be curious whether your Ghostery (if you're still running it) re-adds InternetBrands to its block list, assuming that the reset/reinstall caused a revert to a list prior to that addition. If so, then at least you shouldn't have to do a full reset again (though it sounds like it was worth doing it once).
I had re-installed Ghostery, but had not configured it. I just spent a few minutes toggling on & off the various options, and it's the advertising blicking that trips up the FT proper functionality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.