Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

"Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion (consolidated)

Old Oct 21, 2015, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBJoel

Wiki post / wikipost questions, issues, discussion

Go to Wikipost FAQ

Go to Wikipost Sandbox

FAQ

Q. What is a Wikipost?

A Wikipost contains content that appears at the top of a thread, usually used to summarize important information in multi-page threads: "This is a community-maintained wikipost containing the most important information from this thread. You may start or edit a Wikipost once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts." (Written at the top of every Wikipost.)

Q. Why are Wikiposts here? What is their purpose?

Threads that have high interest can grow very quickly, making it tiresome to sort through sometimes hundreds of posts to find information. A Wikipost is designed to contain a summary of relevant information, and may contain links to especially relevant posts, related threads and off-site resources. Any member with "90/90" can update obsolete information or update Wikipost information, and of course there's plenty of space to discuss or ask about more specific details.

Q. What display modes are offered for Wikiposts?

There are three modes of wiki post display: (c/o IBobi)
1. "Summary view" (default) -- this shows the top of the wikipost only.

2. Full display (when you click "Click here to display full Wiki") -- this shows the whole Wikipost.

3. Hidden (when you click the "-" sign at the top right) -- reduces this and ALL Wikiposts on FT to a narrow blue bar that says "Wikipost", until you click the "+" on one of them again, which will return them to default view.

(see more below)
Q. Can I link to a Wikipost?

Yes. Click on Wiki Link on the upper right of the wiki and the Wikipost will display ax a single post. You can copy the link and paste it elsewhere. Click "back" in your browser to return to the page you were on.

Q. Why are so many threads with Wikiposts concentrated on the front pages of some fora? cx

The most popular / used threads are often those with complicated content - frequent flyer or guest program changes, securing awards, etc. These are the threads most likely to have Wikiposts summarizing key points.

Q. How / why did Wikiposts come about on FT?

Wikiposts came about after requests from members to Internet Brands and a lot of forethought, followed by Beta testing. They are considered a valuable asset to FlyerTalk, and a viable and "closer" alternative to maintaining an off site, separate wiki.

Q. What do "wiki" and "Wikipost" mean?

The word "wiki" (wee-kee) is Hawaiian Polynisian for "fast" or "quick". Here, a Wikipost offers a quick look at the topic covered by a thread.

Q. Can I see a listing of Wikiposts?

Yes. Up in the dark blue navigation bar, a little below the FlyerTalk logo, it says "Flyertalk [sic, should be a capital T] Wiki." Click that and then "Show all Wiki [sic, should be plural]" from the sub-menu.

(Thanks to jackal)

Q. What do I do if I just don't want to read the Wikiposts?

Just continue browsing normally. Only minimized Wikiposts (a few lines) will be revealed until you click on / touch the blue "Click here to display Full Wiki" line. The full Wikipost will only be displayed if you click the link to read it. Ignore the Wikipost if you don't want to read the information therein.

Q. What do I do if I feel there are too darn many Wikiposts?

You can go to the "Wikipost" blue menu bar at the top of a thread page and click on the "-" sign at the right end of the bar, which will minimize all wikis; you never have to see a Wikipost again. That information never has to intrude on your reading of FlyerTalk. And, of course you can turn wiki posts "on" by clicking the "+" in the same menu bar when you wish.)

Alternatively, you can go to your FT Profile, look at Your Control Panel, Edit Options. Toward the bottom of the page you'll see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
Hide all wikiposts
Be sure that option is turned on to eliminate seeing wiki posts, off to reveal them once more.
Q. What are the alternatives to wikiposts in a large forum?

1) Multiple (dozens or even more) threads with members having to search them all for answers, or start a new one out of frustration, assuring information fragmentation and dispersion.

2) Mega threads with hundreds of posts to sort through for answers.

Thanks to wetrat0
Q. I can't open and edit a particular Wikipost! Why?

A few wiki posts may be locked by moderators to prevent making changes; these preferably should be clearly marked with an explanation.

Q. I can't even see Wikiposts! Why?

If you are using the mobile skin, you can not see Wikiposts at this time.

If otherwise and you can not see the wiki posts:

Assuming you are signed in, have been on FT 90 or more days and have made 90 or more posts:

In your FT Profile, look at Your Control Panel, Edit Options. Toward the bottom of the page you'll see

Wikipost Hide All

Hide all Wiki Posts in Threads
Hide all wikiposts
Be sure that option is turned off.

Q. How do I open and start a wikipost myself?

To create a wiki, go to the Thread Tools menu on the right of the thread menu bar, click / touch Create a Wikipost

Q. I've got "90/90"; how do I edit a wikipost?

To edit a wiki, expand by clicking / touching the "Click here to display full wiki" message, then see the Edit button in the lower right of the wiki.

Q. What formatting can I use to make a wikipost more "eye-tractive" and readable?

Wikis accepts a lot of common BBCode formatting, some of which is shown below - but not all.

Bold and colors work! strikeouts work, as does highlighting.

Sizes work as well, from larger than this to this.

However, names of threads like WikiPost problems are not being normalized. (URL links to FlyerTalk in posts will render such: "Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion.

In Wikiposts, they will render as full URL: "Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion (consolidated) look at the above URL to see how you can adjust that.

See Calchas' post #122 to read about the wiki history rendering.

Q. Can I embed or add illustrations or photos in Wikiposts?

Links to photographs and graphic images can be embedded in wikiposts; framed video links can not be, nor can images be attached as in posts.

Link to an extensive thread about embedding images in the Travel Photography forum.

Link to thread in Technical Support and Feedback forum on embedding images.

Q. Can I create "chapters" within in Wikiposts with internal links and anchor points?[

Yes; as of September 2016, you can. Here are the basics:

Using the tag "wikifrom" you can write a text, and the name of the anchor you want to point to like this:

Visit Chapter 1
Visit Chapter 2

Then you can use the tag "wikito" to allow easy wikipost navigation:

Chapter 1 - Monday
Some text here.

Chapter 2 - Tuesday
Some more text here.

(Here is how it looks without the closing bracket)

[wikifrom=chapter1]Visit Chapter 1[/wikifrom
[wikifrom=chapter2]Visit Chapter 2[/wikifrom

Then you can use the tag "wikito" to allow easy wikipost navigation:

[wikito]chapter1[/wikito
Chapter 1 - Monday
Some text here.

[wikito]chapter2[/wikito
Chapter 2 - Tuesday
Some more text here.

See post number 205, by IBtyen.
The WIKI SANDBOX:

Revised 7 Jan 2017 - JDiver
  • Testing out a bug
  • Every time the wiki is edited a blank bullet point gets added to this list.
  • testing
Will a new bullet appear if list is not at the bottom?
No
Print Wikipost

"Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion (consolidated)

Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:39 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by jackal
You have to get the actual image URL, the one that ends in .jpg. If you just get the URL of the Flickr display page, the image won't load.

It's the same exact process to add an image to a regular post as it is to add an image to a wiki. There is a sticky thread in the Travel Photography forum that gives lots of advice on how to embed images in FT posts. The same process will work to embed an image in a wiki. See here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...phy-forum.html
Thanks jackal

S
Old Dec 4, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
List of all supported Wikipost BBCode tags on FT?

Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere but I read this entire thread and couldn't find it...

Where is the full list of BBCode tags supported by FT for wikiposts (at least)? I've been messing around with different tags with varying levels of success... it's a bit annoying but I guess fun at the same time.

Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Sorry if this was mentioned somewhere but I read this entire thread and couldn't find it...

Where is the full list of BBCode tags supported by FT for wikiposts (at least)? I've been messing around with different tags with varying levels of success... it's a bit annoying but I guess fun at the same time.

Thanks in advance...
It's at https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/misc.php?do=bbcode

If you want to be depressed, read this thread: More prominent (any?) link to FAQ/BB Code list/etc.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by beltway
Thanks beltway.
I knew there was a limitation on BBCode, but I didn't realize the extent of the limitation.

And yes, I agree with your suggestion for a prominent FAQ/BBCode list.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: QFF NB, AA GLD
is there a wiki sandbox?

In the wiki to this thread, right at the bottom, there is a pic of a sandbox - but nothing more

I have some time on my hands right now, and am thinking of re-writing the old wiki to an existing thread. But I am inexperienced at this - so a sandbox would be good environment for me to play/learn the intricacies of writing wikis

Suggestions?
Old Jan 6, 2020, 7:57 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by pandaperth
In the wiki to this thread, right at the bottom, there is a pic of a sandbox - but nothing more

I have some time on my hands right now, and am thinking of re-writing the old wiki to an existing thread. But I am inexperienced at this - so a sandbox would be good environment for me to play/learn the intricacies of writing wikis

Suggestions?
There’s no members’ sandbox I’m aware of, but perhaps Admin can chime in and make some recommendations?

The good thing is, that as with other Wikis, every change is recorded and Wikiposts can be restored to previous settings.
Attached Images   
strickerj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 10:37 am
Administrator

Programs: Internet Brands
I think the link was removed. That sandbox image is now re-linked to the Wiki Sandbox
Old Jan 8, 2020, 12:39 am

Thanks @IBJoel and @JDiver

but, when I click on the sandbox image I get taken to a particular post in this thread ("Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion (consolidated))

which is not what I expected

Am I missing something?
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:59 am

Also, now I can't see the BB Codes

Clicking on HELP --> BBCODE GUIDE
Gives the following "Error: Cannot use assign-op operators with string offsets in ..../misc.php(475) : eval()'d code on line 1"
Old Jan 8, 2020, 8:03 am

Gives the following "Error: Cannot use assign-op operators with string offsets in ..../misc.php(475) : eval()'d code on line 1"
Same.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 9:56 am
Administrator

I am working on some formatting and have reported that BBCode link issue to tech
JDiver and pandaperth like this.

Last edited by IBJoel; Jan 8, 2020 at 10:02 am
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by IBJoel
I am working on some formatting and have reported that BBCode link issue to tech

Bump??
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:23 am

Thanks @IBJoel and @JDiver

but, when I click on the sandbox image I get taken to a particular post in this thread ("Wikipost" / wiki post questions, issues, discussion (consolidated))

which is not what I expected

Am I missing something?
Another Bump!

(though I've built my own sandbox and have been playing happily in it for a couple of weeks now)
Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:29 am

Forum Wikis

Is there reason why we don't have wikis for forums (fora?)?

Dashboards are becoming more common on flyertalk
They are sticky posts

But the big problem I see with them is that, because they are a post not wiki, they are 'owned' by one person, and that person is responsible for maintaining it
whereas with a wiki the whole community can maintain it
Old Feb 3, 2020, 9:20 am
Administrator

Is there reason why we don't have wikis for forums (fora?)?

Dashboards are becoming more common on flyertalk
They are sticky posts

But the big problem I see with them is that, because they are a post not wiki, they are 'owned' by one person, and that person is responsible for maintaining it
whereas with a wiki the whole community can maintain it
Wikiposts are found at the thread level. We do this in order to comprehensively cover each topic without making you search through a wall of text. Anyone can edit them, provided they meet the standards of 180 posts and have been registered for 180 days. There is in fact one at the top of this thread.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.