Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: 2012-2016 Subscription notifications, questions, problems, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 28, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The current thread may be read here.
Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: 2012-2016 Subscription notifications, questions, problems, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1MM Premier 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium/ LT
Originally Posted by IBobi
Are you certain you are clicking through to threads that were moved to another public location, and not threads that were deleted or moved to a private forum?
Don't think these were deleted or privatized - from the thread titles, they seem innocuous.

Originally Posted by IBxAnders
The thread redirection is not permanent and may be set by the moderator that moved the thread originally to expire in X number of days. Meaning that the behavior you're describing will occur when that redirect expires.
I suspected that there was a setting that someone - administrator, moderator - could set...this is most likely the case, particularly in view of the comment below.

Originally Posted by jackal
Wait, so setting a redirect to expire doesn't actually remove the redirect from the forum view but simply makes the link cease working?

In that case, I can't possibly see the utility of the "expire" option and probably won't ever use it again, since the only reason I ever used it was to make it so the redirect didn't clutter up the forum after it ceased to be useful.
If you are going to use "expire" I vote for a 48-hour timeframe - that should be enough for most of us to catch up on our subscription emails.
(I appreciate mods' diligence in keeping the forest of threads pretty organized, which seems to have increased in the past year or so - just want to be able to follow something that has been moved!)

Last edited by lskohn; Dec 18, 2014 at 11:09 am Reason: scrambled word
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: AY, SK, TK
Automatic e-mail notification - odd frequency

I have subscribed to many threads/forums which are of interest to me, but I have found an odd behaviour about the notification frequency of automatic e-mails I get in my mailbox.

When I am very active on FT, I start to get a flood of auto-notifications by email.
When I am absent from FT for multiple days, those auto-notifications dry up and I get nothing.

The thing is, that when I am active, I am well on page about discussions and do not actually need those auto-notifications. Sometimes they are even replies that I have already read on FT before they post to my mailbox.

In contrast, when I am away for days for whatever reasons, I would like to get those notifications to stay tuned about interesting discussions.

I don't know if other people feel it the same way, but for me the auto-notification system works against my wish. Don't know if I can do something about that...
Old Jan 9, 2015, 3:17 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
You get one notification on a thread until you check that thread again, no matter how many new posts have been made there.
Old Jan 12, 2015, 7:13 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
You get one notification on a thread until you check that thread again, no matter how many new posts have been made there.
I am not sure if it is intended as you describe but I have been eyeing recent days the notification behaviour and it is not definitely like that.

What is certain is that the only threads I get a daily notif irrespective of what I do are:
Hotel deals, MR deals and Premium fare deals. Actually I should be happy, those are the only threads I want to have eye on, the rest I shall just unsubscribe now
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by FFlash
I am not sure if it is intended as you describe but I have been eyeing recent days the notification behaviour and it is not definitely like that.

What is certain is that the only threads I get a daily notif irrespective of what I do are:
Hotel deals, MR deals and Premium fare deals. Actually I should be happy, those are the only threads I want to have eye on, the rest I shall just unsubscribe now

Something is broken with notifications. I am not receiving notifications for threads I follow, nor for private messages that I receive.

Is this a known problem? Is there a way to fix it? I have tried unsubscribing and resubscribing to a forum with no success.

Thanks
DAK
Old Jan 12, 2015, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Actually, you get one notification about activity in a given thread until you log into FT (or access the FT site while logged in). After you log in, notifications are re-set and you will receive another email notification about the next update to a given thread, even if you did not actually view that thread.

Originally Posted by FFlash

Forum notifications are different than thread notifications. Thread notifications work as I described above. Forum notifications are sent to you on the schedule you choose (daily, weekly, etc.) regardless of your activity on the forum.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:50 pm

I am not receiving thread subscriptions.
Nothing in Spam.

I am going to try adding the subscriptions e-mail address to my safe senders list.

What is it?
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:10 am

New to FT -- coming to you from DDF :) [subscribing to threads]

Hi FT,

I'm new here. I am active on the forums on DDF - but there I am able to subscribe to threads with Tapatalk. How do you guys subscribe to threads here? Trying to expand my base a bit to FT - but having a tough time figuring out how I can subscribe to threads to keep up to date and read the new posts.

PS -- I have an Android. Any help appreciated!
PSS -- I hit "Instant Email Notification" after I finish posting, but after I receive an email and I click on it to see what has been written it says you have been unsubscribed.

TIA!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Go to your control panel, click on Messaging and Notification, and under Default Thread Description Mode pull down to Instant Email Notification.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 10:18 am

yay - thanks!!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 5:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
You're welcome! And welcome to FT!
Old Feb 14, 2015, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by danville 1K
Go to your control panel, click on Messaging and Notification, and under Default Thread Description Mode pull down to Instant Email Notification.
Also, anything you subscribe to will appear in your "MyFlyerTalk" (icon at the top right of most pages on FT, or here). In fact, I prefer to not subscribe by email (I get too many emails as-is) unless it's a thread with potentially urgent information) and simply subscribe with no email notifications; I then make MyFlyerTalk my first point of entry on FT each day.

Of course, I am usually checking FT 5+ times a day; if you rarely visit FT, you may prefer email notifications.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA BA DL JB US
Where is instant notifications? I click on thread tools and don't see it, though it says I'm subscribed to the thread. I'd like to get email when a new post is posted in a certain thread which is what I imagine instant notification is (actually, that's what I thought subscribe was), but I don't see it anywhere.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 4:34 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by mallomar
Where is instant notifications? I click on thread tools and don't see it, though it says I'm subscribed to the thread. I'd like to get email when a new post is posted in a certain thread which is what I imagine instant notification is (actually, that's what I thought subscribe was), but I don't see it anywhere.
Unsubscribe from the thread, then resubscribe. You will get to choose instant then.

You will not get a notification every time there is a new post; only the first new post generates a notification. When you go back and read the thread, it resets again.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:13 pm

Programs: AA BA DL JB US
Unsubscribe from the thread, then resubscribe. You will get to choose instant then.

You will not get a notification every time there is a new post; only the first new post generates a notification. When you go back and read the thread, it resets again.
Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.