Reload this Page >

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:27 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Got it again, after not getting it late last week.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by Flyingmama
Still happening. And it's not limited to IE9 'cause I still use IE8 and get the alert about every second or third time I come to FT.
Same for me. And I'm not switching browsers for the sake of one buggy site.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
Originally Posted by chucko
I agree. I won't use FT on my main computer until they fix this. I'll check in from elsewhere if/when I get a chance (as I'm doing today.)

I'm disappointed that this is receiving apparently low priority.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:39 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, SQ Krisflyer PPS, UA 1p, Marriot Lifetime Platinum, American EXP
I got it just now,also running Win7 Enterprise, IE9 and MS Antivirus. Never had a virus for it but also never clicked on it. If you ant to know who is doing it someone in FT support should click on it and see where it takes you.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:21 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Exclamation

Hi everyone,

We are working to determine which advertisement is causing this messaging to occur. We still believe that this messaging is from is an advertisement that appears to be exploiting a hole in *Internet Explorer* to show a *false* virus alert.

This kind of advertising is *not* approved by FT, and will immediately be blocked when it is located. Meanwhile, despite the message it shows you, you do not have a virus (from this) and FT is not infected.

*One way to avoid it is to switch browsers to Chrome or Firefox.*

Thank you for your continued patience while we work to resolve this.

Paul
Community Manager
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
+1.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:43 pm

Fair enough; but you may want to consider switching browsers because both Firefox and Chrome are more robust and less prone to security holes than IE, irrespective of this particular issue.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:33 pm
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
Originally Posted by IBobi
We are working to determine which advertisement is causing this messaging to occur. We still believe that this messaging is from is an advertisement that appears to be exploiting a hole in *Internet Explorer* to show a *false* virus alert.

This kind of advertising is *not* approved by FT, and will immediately be blocked when it is located. Meanwhile, despite the message it shows you, you do not have a virus (from this) and FT is not infected.
You've been posting this same update almost verbatim for a week. We already know we don't have a virus unless we click on the link. What we don't know is why it's taking so long for you to make progress on this. It isn't as if it's a rare and difficult to duplicate problem.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH-S WS-G
We are working to determine which advertisement is causing this messaging to occur.
This one

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...an/suspect.jpg
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by RLG
You've been posting this same update almost verbatim for a week. We already know we don't have a virus unless we click on the link. What we don't know is why it's taking so long for you to make progress on this. It isn't as if it's a rare and difficult to duplicate problem.
If you look above, some members are either requesting an update, or have not read the updates we've posted and are stating that no admins are responding. This serves both purposes.

Internally we have not yet seen the false virus alert, even on IE, making this very difficult to resolve.

Paul
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Fair enough; but you may want to consider switching browsers because both Firefox and Chrome are more robust and less prone to security holes than IE, irrespective of this particular issue.
Have you guys invested in Mozilla or hold stock in Google?! Asking people to switch browsers is NOT a solution and shouldn't even be mentioned as a fix to your issue. You may as well ask people to blog elsewhere as a solution.

The browser is NOT the cause. FT is.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
Asking people to switch browsers is NOT a solution
Correct -- which is why we're proposing it as a temporary workaround rather than as a "solution"

Paul
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:26 pm

IBobi, I just got a screenshot of the image, but how do I either post it online or send it to you via PM? I saved it to a jpeg file and have it on desktop.

The image shows "Introducing the NEW Citi/Aadvantage Card" and "FlyertalkForums." It appeared when I first opened IE, at which point I got a screenshot--Start/Programs/ABBYY Screenshot Reader. At the top of the screen, the url starts, http://cleaninspectionreliability.pl [etc.].

After I got the screen, I closed the laptop, then reopened it and again opened IE, this time no problems (so far).
Old Jul 30, 2012, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Okay, while surfing around FT and upon clicking to check on the Support sub-forum's page, the following pop-up displayed on my Dell laptop (running Windows 7 Ultimate, SP1 with latest security patches & update, aVast! Antivirus and ZoneAlarm - under Internet Explorer V9 (256-bit)

*** Caution/Warning/Notes: - I inserted extra spaces in between to avoid anyone accidentally clicking on it & getting "trapped" - especially on less secured PC vulunerable to these junks !! ***

http : //cleaninspectionreliability . pl/f169m/al/78dee9e271084cb2/196/

I was able to move away from this pop-up page, without doing a forced shutdown via the Task Manager, etc.

Switching to Firefox to check the page, I'm getting an alert about Citi AmericanAirlines AAdvantage advertisement link as being an untrusted connection - (graphics-based or embedded links/websites were linked on CC as being the likely source and origin of the infection)

creditcards.citicards.com uses an invalid security certificate. The certificate is not trusted because no issuer chain was provided. (Error code: sec_error_unknown_issuer)

If you understand what's going on, you can tell Firefox to start trusting this site's identification. Even if you trust the site, this error could mean that someone is tampering with your connection. Don't add an exception unless you know there's a good reason why this site doesn't use trusted identification.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL: 2MM/DM Marriott: LT Platinum
This (virus warning) happens on one of my computers when browsing FT pretty regularly. On my other computer it doesn't seem to happen. Regardless, as I can reproduce at a high frequency, I will be willing to assist in finding the problem. If I need to do anything specific (like turning debug mode or capture wireshark trace) then let me know.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.