Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

FALSE Virus alert [there is NO malware on your computer]

Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:48 am

Programs: CX GO, TSA Pre✓ Afflictions: TSASS
Yeah definitely ads. Sometimes "bad guys" buy ad space on legitimate sites. They'll usually run normal ads for a few days in case anyone is watching, then switch to an infected ad and get as many victims as they can.

When you get that alert you should report the page, the alert message and the ads that you can see to the mods.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:21 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by username
Thanks. My NAV never popped up (I just kill IE from Task Manager). I wonder what's wong with my NAV. It is supposed to be up-to-date and says everything is OK....now I am worried...
Its not a virus really. Just a BS pop up. If you click on it then perhaps you could end up in trouble and loading something that would cause a problem on your machine but mostly like that would just be malware and not really a virus as well and still not really caught by your virus software.

I once again got this first time I hit FT today.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 1:10 pm

Programs: MPC,CA,MU,AF
Moved to Tech Issues for Site Admin to review.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Sitting in the lounge n reading on iPad over unsecured wifi for last hour, while waiting and no false alarm yet ... So iOS seemed safe so far, cruise critics had these problems for a while n resolve it, might want to check their posts on what n how they fixed it.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Letitride3c
Sitting in the lounge n reading on iPad over unsecured wifi for last hour, while waiting and no false alarm yet ... So iOS seemed safe so far, cruise critics had these problems for a while n resolve it, might want to check their posts on what n how they fixed it.
On FT it seems to be an IE only problem. I've never seen it on Chrome, Safari, etc.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I have been getting this for about a month now--only on FT and only in IE9, not in Mozilla. I do a CTRL ALT DEL and turn off the processes iexplorer.exe so as to not accidentally download anything suspicious or malicious.

Good luck to all. Hopefully someone figures why it only occurs on FT . . .:-:
Old Jul 29, 2012, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, B6, CX, KE, Latitude, VIFP, Crown & Anchor, etc.
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
On FT it seems to be an IE only problem. I've never seen it on Chrome, Safari, etc.
I haven't ran across it on my laptop when running Firefox either - the discussions on CC also cited triggering "false" positive running AVG, Norton and even aVast - but not M.S.E. under Vista or Windows 7 ...

Administrators on CC has noted that measures are in place due to "MALWARE ERROR MSGS: Blocked specific graphics urls at this time "

... Please note that as a result of these past two weeks we've taken steps to block specific animated pictures sites and countdown sites because we were receiving messages that those sites may contain malware downloads. If you no longer see your glittery bug or boat or countdown, this is the reason...

Here's the link for anyone interested http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1657000

The latest phony pop-up is a poor graphic image of a "MSE alert, saw it on a desktop PC running Windows 7 using IE9 ...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 8:22 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Just got it again. All I know is if my work site had this problem and it took this long to resolve, we would have a new IT department! This is ridiculous.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 9:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
happened again this evening
Old Jul 30, 2012, 1:23 am

Programs: BMI DC Gold, BA Gold, LH SEN, Priority Club Platinum, Nectar purple
Originally Posted by controller1
Just got it again. All I know is if my work site had this problem and it took this long to resolve, we would have a new IT department! This is ridiculous.
^

I'm still surprised that this isn't notified in a sticky at the top of each forum. As far as I can see, this thread is the only place on FT where it is discussed, but everyone I know that uses FT is getting the same problem.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 2:53 am
RLG

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, AA Plat, UA Silver, AS MVP, HA premier
I'm getting this problem repeatedly but only on the FT website. (Using IE.) Surprised that FT still hasn't found/fixed the problem. Even more surprised that FT hasn't issued any kind of notice to members.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 3:22 am

Still there!

Come on, tech guys.

What about even a line here to say you are aware of the problem?
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:20 am

Still happening. And it's not limited to IE9 'cause I still use IE8 and get the alert about every second or third time I come to FT.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 4:50 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
Its getting really ridiculous now, its totally inconvenient having to close down, restart or clean up the mess coming from FT. If it happens again tomorrow i am going to call time on FT for a while as i dont need the hassle.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, AA Exec Plat, UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Got it twice this morning. Not happening on Firefox, only on IE but I always log in via IE so have to remember to access FT via Firefox for now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.