FT iPhone app

Subscribe
Quote: I'll add this here as opposed to starting yet another iPhone app thread....

I am unable to read any of the announcements that appear at the top of each forum on the app as when I tap on it, it briefly changes to the word "label" and then shows a blank page
I don't think announcements are available on the app -- you're talking about the Dahl Fund and Hotel Pet Peeve ones currently, yes?
Quote:
Quote: I'll add this here as opposed to starting yet another iPhone app thread....

I am unable to read any of the announcements that appear at the top of each forum on the app as when I tap on it, it briefly changes to the word "label" and then shows a blank page
I don't think announcements are available on the app -- you're talking about the Dahl Fund and Hotel Pet Peeve ones currently, yes?
Hi there and thanks for the quick response ^. Yup both of the ones you noted and while I have you . Any thoughts on my comments a few posts up and speaking of pet peeves , I've searched but can't seem to find an answer to this- is there a way to have the little translucent black formatting bar not show up in the post or reply box and be an option to bring up when you want to format?
Quote: Hi there and thanks for the quick response ^. Yup both of the ones you noted and while I have you . Any thoughts on my comments a few posts up and speaking of pet peeves , I've searched but can't seem to find an answer to this- is there a way to have the little translucent black formatting bar not show up in the post or reply box and be an option to bring up when you want to format?
The formatting bar is a standard editing feature, so it's not user-selectable.

Quote: A couple of comments and requests and/or suggestions

I do like the chevron for the sub-forums but in the next iteration of the app, is there any chance it can be moved to the left/closer to "Subfourms (xx)" as maybe it's me and my fat fingers but more often than not, I end up hitting the reply button when trying to expand the chevron

Could the subscribe feature at the bottom of the screen moved as again, with my fat fingers and flipping fast to the bottom of the page, I am hitting the button

I do like the go to first unread feature but it doesn't work properly as there is no sync to what I read on-line to what I read on the app as when I use the feature on the app, it takes me anywhere from the first page to the second to last page and never the last unread post I viewed. Also, on a one page thread on the app, if I hit the last unread option, the page does not go to any post at all but rather the "little wheel" just keeps spinning around

Is there anyway to mark forums read as there is with the on-line/browser version?

Also, I have noticed that the app crashes much more than any previous version and usually after I make a post or hit the log out button

Thanks
We're working on stability issues.

As to the button placements, there is so little real-estate to work with on the iPhone screen I'm not sure what can be done that also *looks* good.

On the synch question: the "last read" function is cookie-based, not database-cached, so it will only track what you do on your phone OR computer, but it won't synch them both "per account".

To mark forums read, you must click on them, then the blue dot disappears indicating they are read.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Quote:
Quote: Hi there and thanks for the quick response ^. Yup both of the ones you noted and while I have you . Any thoughts on my comments a few posts up and speaking of pet peeves , I've searched but can't seem to find an answer to this- is there a way to have the little translucent black formatting bar not show up in the post or reply box and be an option to bring up when you want to format?
The formatting bar is a standard editing feature, so it's not user-selectable.

Quote: A couple of comments and requests and/or suggestions

I do like the chevron for the sub-forums but in the next iteration of the app, is there any chance it can be moved to the left/closer to "Subfourms (xx)" as maybe it's me and my fat fingers but more often than not, I end up hitting the reply button when trying to expand the chevron

Could the subscribe feature at the bottom of the screen moved as again, with my fat fingers and flipping fast to the bottom of the page, I am hitting the button

I do like the go to first unread feature but it doesn't work properly as there is no sync to what I read on-line to what I read on the app as when I use the feature on the app, it takes me anywhere from the first page to the second to last page and never the last unread post I viewed. Also, on a one page thread on the app, if I hit the last unread option, the page does not go to any post at all but rather the "little wheel" just keeps spinning around

Is there anyway to mark forums read as there is with the on-line/browser version?

Also, I have noticed that the app crashes much more than any previous version and usually after I make a post or hit the log out button

Thanks
We're working on stability issues.

As to the button placements, there is so little real-estate to work with on the iPhone screen I'm not sure what can be done that also *looks* good.

On the synch question: the "last read" function is cookie-based, not database-cached, so it will only track what you do on your phone OR computer, but it won't synch them both "per account".

To mark forums read, you must click on them, then the blue dot disappears indicating they are read.
I don't quite understand that. It seems like my PC browser correctly recognizes the last read message from my iPhone, but not vice versa, which is a major annoyance.

Also, the app doesn't list my subscribed forums, just subscribed threads, and there doesn't seem to be a way to move up from a thread to the parent forum. On the whole, the mobile web version is easier for me to use, but the app version looks better and has good potential with just a few more tweaks and bug fixes.
FT iPhone app
iPhone with latest iOS and FT app.

I am unable to create a new thread in a sub-forum. I tried to create a new thread in the AAdvantage forum and when I select the forum it never loads the list of sub-forums. Same problem with Japan subforum too.

Any tips or is this a known issue?
Quote: iPhone with latest iOS and FT app.

I am unable to create a new thread in a sub-forum. I tried to create a new thread in the AAdvantage forum and when I select the forum it never loads the list of sub-forums. Same problem with Japan subforum too.

Any tips or is this a known issue?
Reported, thank you.
The iPhone app used to take me to my first unread message when I clicked on a thread, but now it always starts from the beginning. Then when I click the strangely named Last Unread button, it jumps to the top of one of the last pages, but usually no where near the spot last read and often not even the right page. Am I doing something wrong?
Quote: The iPhone app used to take me to my first unread message when I clicked on a thread, but now it always starts from the beginning. Then when I click the strangely named Last Unread button, it jumps to the top of one of the last pages, but usually no where near the spot last read and often not even the right page. Am I doing something wrong?
No you're not doing anything wrong as it happens to me as well and it appears to be a sync issue between the desktop and iphone versions (and imho, it's not a good piece of "functionality")
Quote: No you're not doing anything wrong as it happens to me as well and it appears to be a sync issue between the desktop and iphone versions (and imho, it's not a good piece of "functionality")
In the previous version it was just a sync issue, so it worked okay if you only used the iPhone app. In the current version it seems to be entirely broken.

I'm always amazed when someone not only breaks an app and fails to discover it in testing, but then simply ignores the inevitable slew of negative ratings that follow. They should revert to the previous version or at least post a note saying they're working on the problem. Otherwise many people won't even bother trying it again if they ever fix things.
I've reported this to our mobile developers.
Please remember that not only do iPhone users use your app but iPad users have installed it also. Therefore it woul be nice to view the app in landscape viewing mode. @:-)
The developers do realise don't they that defaulting to all airline forums being collapsed rather than expanded is perfectly illogical?

Why would anyone click on airline programs to just see a blank screen rather than the sub forums?

I too have spent a couple of months presuming that the sub forums are simply broken

Quote: To open subforums, find the small arrow pointing left at the top right corner of the forum; click it so that it points downward, and you'll see the subforums open.

Paul
Any progress on fixing the "last unread" button? I pretty much exclusively use FT on iPhone and the button is useless. Also agree on the silliness of having to click another tiny arrow to seethe airline sub forums.
Quote: Any progress on fixing the "last unread" button? I pretty much exclusively use FT on iPhone and the button is useless. Also agree on the silliness of having to click another tiny arrow to seethe airline sub forums.
Both issues are being researched by tech, thanks for hanging in there
Quote: Please remember that not only do iPhone users use your app but iPad users have installed it also. Therefore it would be nice to view the app in landscape viewing mode. @:-)
Quote: Both issues are being researched by tech, thanks for hanging in there
Does also mean my suggestion also was being researched?