Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Feb 23, 2015, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Can I / How do I change my user name / username / handle?

FAQ: Can I change my FlyerTalk handle? <Link>

We will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk administrator* with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! We do not change handles if you have over 500 posts.

*To request a change, you can send a Private Message (PM) to our Community Director at NWIFlyer and Administrator IBJoel.

Read on, please.

From the FlyerTalk FAQ here:

What if someone has a similar handle to what I'd like to use?

We do a quick check of all new handle requests and if the one you seek is too close to an existing user we will generally ask you to select something less similar. A new user called Randy Peterson would not be approved for example as it may be confused with Randy Petersen. Similarly, Detroit 1K or Detroit_1K would likely not be approved if we already have a Detroit1K registered etc. If any member advises us a new handle appears too similar to an existing one, we will ask the two members to try and amicably work out a solution and advise us of that, before becoming involved.

Can I change my FlyerTalk handle?

The short answer is NO. In general the handle you registered with is the one you are known by during your time in this Community. However, if for instance you started two years back as FargoFlyer and are now based in Tampa, we will allow you as a ONE TIME courtesy to change your handle. To do so you must email a FlyerTalk admin with three username options and a valid reason for wanting to change your handle. You will be asked to keep your old username in your title line for a period of time, depending on the amount of posts that you already have. This will ensure that we avoid any confusion in the community and that your reputation is carried over to your new handle. This is only available to members with fewer than 500 posts and is strictly a ONE TIME offer to members, so please think carefully before asking! (Though the Community Director and Admin will carefully consider other reasons, they're pretty conservative about the issue.)
From the FlyerTalk Rules:

1. Usernames Link to this Rule: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames

To post on FlyerTalk, you must register for an account and select a username. The following rules apply to usernames:
  • Usernames cannot be a URL or an email address.

• They must contain only characters of the Roman alphabet and/or Arabic numerals.

• They are subject to all the other rules of FlyerTalk (e.g. those that forbid the furthering of illegal or fraudulent activities, the use of profanity, vulgarity, hatred, abusiveness and harassment). In other words, appropriateness is required.

• For privacy purposes, it is strongly recommended that you not use your real name in your username.

• If your username is long, please incorporate spaces so that it does not distort the column width, or it may be changed by an administrator.

• Travel industry professionals who are registering an account in order to post in an official capacity on behalf of their employer or company can be identified across FlyerTalk by their green-colored username. In order to obtain such an official designation, please contact the Community Director.

• You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered. The only exception to this rule is approved travel industry professionals, who may also have a personal username in addition to their official company username. Contact the Community Director for such approval.

• Should you have second thoughts regarding your choice of a username, one-time changes can be arranged by contacting the Community Director.
Possibly the greatest percentage of handle change requests come from those who signed up for FlyerTalk using their name as a handle (e.g. Susie Q. Smith); for privacy purposes, many would encourage a change to a more protective and anonymizing handle such as SQJetFlyer.

Hint: You can see if your desired handle is in use by filling out the PM form and seeing if the handle auto fills or not, or if there is an existing handle that could be confusing because it's very close to what you're testing. After, simply discard the PM.

The process: PM NWIFlyer (Community Director) and IBJoel (Administrator) with your request and the reason for it, as posted above.

If granted, all previous and new posts will reflect your new handle, and there will be a note reflecting your old handle for a period of one to six months (depending on your tenure and number of posts on FlyerTalk); this assures post continuity and transparency to the membership.

Don't expect handle changes to be granted for trivial reasons. Changing handles is disruptive to FlyerTalk's continuity and post trails.

Print Wikipost

Change user name / username / handle: Can I? How?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2014, 7:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Suggest you contact the Admins of this site via http://www.flyertalk.com/help/feedbacktxt.php
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:44 pm

Username?

May I change my name to AllieKat ? Allie is the name I use in my daily life and AllieKat is my registration on another site as well.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by AllieKat
May I change my name to AllieKat ? Allie is the name I use in my daily life and AllieKat is my registration on another site as well.
Allie, the answer is "probably" - assuming it's available. In your case, it was fine. Great!

For anyone else, please read the wiki and then send a PM to the Community Director at SanDiego1K to make your case and let her know what you'd like to be known as around these parts.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:26 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Hello. I sent a request several days ago to change my username, but haven't had a reply do far.. Just checking to see if it's been received? I did follow the procedure posted in this thread.. TIA
Old Dec 12, 2014, 1:38 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by pmcgurk
Hello. I sent a request several days ago to change my username, but haven't had a reply do far.. Just checking to see if it's been received? I did follow the procedure posted in this thread.. TIA
I have asked Grace (IBgkim) to help you out with this.

Paul
Old Dec 16, 2014, 6:19 pm

Programs: BA Executive Club, AZ, VS, AA, UA
Originally Posted by IBobi
I have asked Grace (IBgkim) to help you out with this.

Paul
Thank you very much IBobi and IBgkim for sorting this and changing my username, much appreciated..
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:24 pm

How do I close a duplicate FT account?

Thanks for your help.
I opened a duplicate FT account by error. I wish to close it. I can'r find instructions.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:26 pm
No longer at FT -- contact IBJoel please

Hello,

What is the username of your duplicate FT account?

Originally Posted by Mandy Lender
Thanks for your help.
I opened a duplicate FT account by error. I wish to close it. I can'r find instructions.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are the username rules in the wiki correct and complete? One bullet point says that only Roman letters and Arabic numerals are permitted, but a later bullet point suggests that spaces be inserted in usernames. Also, I've seen a lot of FT usernames that contain punctuation such as hyphens, plus underscores to emphasize a space.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:27 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Are the username rules in the wiki correct and complete? One bullet point says that only Roman letters and Arabic numerals are permitted, but a later bullet point suggests that spaces be inserted in usernames. Also, I've seen a lot of FT usernames that contain punctuation such as hyphens, plus underscores to emphasize a space.
Strictly speaking, that is a contradiction, you're right. Also, it actually is possible to use non-alphanumeric characters.

The caveat is, if you use non-alphanumeric characters, you may have some trouble with the functionality of the site from time to time, but you are not actually locked out from selecting a username with those characters.

As it stands, it's imperfect, but I'm comfortable that it lays out the whys and wherefores well enough.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 6:50 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The wiki quote box merely reflects the current FlyerTalk Rules section on Usernames, as seen here: http://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#usernames. No liberties or attempts to interpret have been made other tha the introductory and end statements.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
New member ?

How can I change my user name? Don't see it in the profiles area. I feel a little uncomfortable using my full name on the various threads.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Send a private message to the CommunityDirector, sandiego1k, and ask for her assistance.

You might want to refrain from posting until she's made the change.

Cheers.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 12:26 pm
Community Director Emerita

Both IBobi and I can help. Send a PM to one of us with the handle you'd like to use. We'll need to check and make sure it is available. We want you to be comfortable posting on FlyerTalk and are very happy to work with you on this change.
Old Aug 21, 2015, 1:48 pm

Change signon name?

Is there any way to change my sign-on name while keeping the same email address? I assume I need an administrator to do that for me, since I can't seem to find a way to do it myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.