How to use the Multi-Quote function on FlyerTalk

Old Apr 5, 2009, 6:03 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis

Instructions on ypusung Multiquote feature:

1) Click on or press the blue [ ]Multi-Quote button of each post you wish to quote, in the order you wish them quoted. Each box in the Multi-Quote button of selected posts will show a check mark.

2) Click on or press on the blue Post Reply button at the top left or lower left of the page you are on.

3) The new post will pop up and be presented for you to add your own post content.

4) Click on or press the blue Post Reply below the post content box.

Voila! Your post is done.

See below for illustrations.
Attached Images    
shayaanl likes this.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 3, 2019 at 9:32 pm
Old Sep 5, 2011, 11:34 am

How to Multi-quote / Multiquote

I feel like a helpless newbie on this-

How does one use the multi-quote feature?

E.g. a poster (we'll call him #2) has quoted a previous poster (#1), and I want to respond so that the entire post is quoted (#1 and #2), and then followed by my response?

Thanks,
Alfonso
Old Sep 5, 2011, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
The only way I know how to do it is to use the multi-quote button (to the right of the quote button) to select all the posts in question and then hitting "quote" when all are selected to bring up the reply window. Then copy & paste to get the formatting/timeline correct. I'm sure there is another way that others know but that's how I do it.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 2:11 pm

Goalie, thank you. It worked as you described.

I spent about 45 minutes scouring the technical forums, and the FAQs, and found one or two lines that were tantalizingly close to explaining how it worked, but ultimately they didn't answer the question, if you didn't already know how to do it.

Could this procedure be made more clear somewhere in the posting guidelines?

How about something like:

MULTI-QUOTE: used when you want to reference multiple posts in a single reply.

HOW to MULTI-QUOTE: Find every post you want to reference, and click on the Multi-quote icon [ICON IMAGE] in the lower right of each post's window (next to the QUOTE button).

Then, return to the to last message you're responding to, and click QUOTE. In the Reply Edit window, use Cut & Paste to edit and line up the multiple quotes in appropriate order.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Goalie, thank you. It worked as you described.

I spent about 45 minutes scouring the technical forums, and the FAQs, and found one or two lines that were tantalizingly close to explaining how it worked, but ultimately they didn't answer the question, if you didn't already know how to do it.

Could this procedure be made more clear somewhere in the posting guidelines?

How about something like:

MULTI-QUOTE: used when you want to reference multiple posts in a single reply.

HOW to MULTI-QUOTE: Find every post you want to reference, and click on the Multi-quote icon [ICON IMAGE] in the lower right of each post's window (next to the QUOTE button).

Then, return to the to last message you're responding to, and click QUOTE. In the Reply Edit window, use Cut & Paste to edit and line up the multiple quotes in appropriate order.
Glad it worked ^ and actually, your answer is "out there". It's under the help menu and then under the FAQ's (albeit a bit hidden). If you bring up the FAQ's and search using the word "quote", the answer is in the section called "Replying to a Post".

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/faq.p...l&titlesonly=0
Old Sep 6, 2011, 10:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by goalie
I'm sure there is another way that others know but that's how I do it.
There are and I must be old fashioned as I just manually add my own QUOTE and /QUOTE (wrapped with [ ] brackets) around the passage I'm quoting. If it's the same poster then I don't bother identifying it as the same poster, just wrapping it with quotes. If I reference multi-quote different posters in my same response I do identify each.

IMHO it's confusing than seeing a quote done wrong so this poster appreciated you asking.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
There are and I must be old fashioned as I just manually add my own QUOTE and /QUOTE (wrapped with [ ] brackets) around the passage I'm quoting. If it's the same poster then I don't bother identifying it as the same poster, just wrapping it with quotes. If I reference multi-quote different posters in my same response I do identify each.

IMHO it's confusing than seeing a quote done wrong so this poster appreciated you asking.
I am also "old fashioned" at times as sometimes is easier (and quicker ) to simply copy and paste and then add the QUOTE & /QUOTE
Old Sep 7, 2011, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by goalie
... actually, your answer is "out there". It's under the help menu and then under the FAQ's (albeit a bit hidden).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/faq.p...l&titlesonly=0
Goalie, I did find this tidbit of an answer you cite in the FAQ, and it was exactly what I was referring to by saying there were "one or two lines tantalizingly close" to explaining how it worked, but didn't really explain it if you didn't already know how it worked.

I got hung up on two things:
1) If you're responding to a post that already includes a quote from a previous post , hitting MULTI-QUOTE just on that post will not include those previous quote(s), it will only grab the new text.
2) The FAQ isn't clear about the need to scroll to EACH post that you want to quote from, and then hitting MULTI-QUOTE on each one, before finally clicking QUOTE to compose and organize your response.

Anyway I still think the explanation in the above cited thread could be more clear. Although it seems that anyone who doesn't understand the procedure might do a search to eventually find this thread.

Thanks again for making it clear to this poster.

Last edited by Alfonso XIV; Sep 7, 2011 at 3:03 pm Reason: Additional lines
Old Sep 8, 2011, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is also this great feature >
You have selected 1 post that is not part of this thread. Quote this post as well, or deselect this post.
Old Sep 9, 2011, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
Goalie, I did find this tidbit of an answer you cite in the FAQ, and it was exactly what I was referring to by saying there were "one or two lines tantalizingly close" to explaining how it worked, but didn't really explain it if you didn't already know how it worked.

I got hung up on two things:
1) If you're responding to a post that already includes a quote from a previous post , hitting MULTI-QUOTE just on that post will not include those previous quote(s), it will only grab the new text.
2) The FAQ isn't clear about the need to scroll to EACH post that you want to quote from, and then hitting MULTI-QUOTE on each one, before finally clicking QUOTE to compose and organize your response.

Anyway I still think the explanation in the above cited thread could be more clear. Although it seems that anyone who doesn't understand the procedure might do a search to eventually find this thread.

Thanks again for making it clear to this poster.
Bolding mine: Yes, absolutely correct and the only way I know to do it is to copy and paste the quoted text within the post you are quoting and then paste it into the post you are quoting and then use the "quote" icon to quote that text so it appears as the poster posted it (hope that makes sense as it kinda reminds me of "the party of the first part with the party of the second part with regard to the party of the first part..." )
Old Jul 31, 2012, 4:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
One can Multi-Quote posts from the original thread and even others. Multi-Quote offers a way to add context, such as when a response relates to a post, and one wishes to include it and a reply (or more than one replies).

Merely click on the in each post one wishes to Multi-Quote, then click on the Post Reply button: .

Note the Multi-Quote radio button will turn pink when a post is selected.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA MP, DL Sky Miles
How do I use the Multi Quote feature

The moderators have to keep merging my responses for me because I don't know how to do it. I must be a complete moron because I can't figure this out.

Thank you in advance.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 3:53 pm

I just started a thread about the same thing because I didn't see this one and now I can't figure out how to delete my thread!
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:03 pm
Community Director Emerita

Look at the bottom of the post that you want to qoute. Go to the right hand where you see a quotation symbol above the remark. When you hover your mouse over it, you will see a pop up that says "multi-quote". Click that box and it will light up in orange. Do that with the other posts that you want to quote.

Then hit reply and all those posts you marked will come up in order in a reply box. You can then respond as you like.

(And no, you're not a moron. Or we both are. I had more posts than you before I figured it out.)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Look at the bottom of the post that you want to qoute. Go to the right hand where you see a quotation symbol above the remark. When you hover your mouse over it, you will see a pop up that says "multi-quote". Click that box and it will light up in orange. Do that with the other posts that you want to quote.

Then hit reply and all those posts you marked will come up in order in a reply box. You can then respond as you like.

(And no, you're not a moron. Or we both are. I had more posts than you before I figured it out.)
Thank you so much. It was too easy for me to figure out

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.