Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

How to use the Multi-Quote function on FlyerTalk

How to use the Multi-Quote function on FlyerTalk

Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:24 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by DianeDakota
I just started a thread about the same thing because I didn't see this one and now I can't figure out how to delete my thread!
If you want to report a post (offensive, misplaced or in your case, to delete your thread), look to the lower left of the post in question for a little red triangle and when you click on it, you get a small window where you can send a message to the forum moderator
Old Mar 11, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Multi-quote

My multi-quote button turns red when I try to use it and doesn't function. Is there some kind of special status one must have to use this?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 6:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I don't think so; I just click on the multi-quote icon on each post I want to include in my reply (they all appear red, like you say) and then click on "post reply" and they are all there.

I've noted that the order in which I click the multi-quote icon in the posts also determine the order in which they appear in the reply.

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 7:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
On my screen, the button turns more hot pink or rose in color rather than appearing as real red.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Unfortunately, it's not readily apparent that FT has an FAQ page to assist with these types of questions, but if you go the HELP page (the actual page, not the pulldown), you will see a link to the site FAQ which includes this entry:

Replying to a Post

The use of multiquote is addressed there.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:31 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To add emphasis, you cannot do Quick Reply/Post Quick Reply (using the box at the bottom of the thread page) with multi quote; it will only quote a single post.

After you've clicked on all the posts you want to quote, in the order in which you want them to be quoted, (and watched the multi quote buttons turn bright pink) you must click on the Post Reply button/icon on the lower left, just after the last post on the page. That takes you to a new page, where all of your quotes will appear in the big white box.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA BA DL JB US
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To add emphasis, you cannot do Quick Reply/Post Quick Reply (using the box at the bottom of the thread page) with multi quote; it will only quote a single post.

After you've clicked on all the posts you want to quote, in the order in which you want them to be quoted, (and watched the multi quote buttons turn bright pink) you must click on the Post Reply button/icon on the lower left, just after the last post on the page. That takes you to a new page, where all of your quotes will appear in the big white box.
Thanks, this is helpful. I was wondering why multi-quote wasn't working with Quick Reply and presumed Go Advanced was the full reply button since it is next to the post quick reply button (like I'm Feeling Lucky or Google Search on Google).
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Ironically replying in the mobile version will quote the whole quoted chain by default.

Had some epic multiquote chains in some of the former contests we used to have
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Multiquote: What's w/ msgs saying picking posts not of this thread?

I've noticed lately (can't say when it started or if it's always been like this) when I quote someone on a thread, using the quote icon, I get a message like this underneath my response & just before I hit submit button for my response.

"You have selected 2 posts that are not part of this thread. Quote these posts as well, or deselect these posts."

Heck, I don't even how to select posts that aren't part of a thread I'm reading! In the example above, the thread I was in had 17 posts (my response was #18) & I quoted post #17/responded to it. So the selecting 2 posts message doesn't even make sense, given I was only quoting one & it was within the thread.

BTW - this is not just one forum. I posted in multiple forums & again, quoting only one post (the post before mine) in a thread in each forum & I get the message shown above which references 2 posts that are not part of the thread.

It's not the end of the world, but it is annoying & it's confusing.

Ok, just did a test as I remembered "quote these posts as well" or "deselect these posts" were hyperlinks. I clicked on the first link & that brought up posts/inserted them from a totally different forum/thread that I was on earlier today & started to quote some folk in a response but then decided not to post a response at all (FTers were arguing/it just wasn't worth getting into it) & just exited the forum. Evidently those posts "travel w/ you" if you go to different forums, although I've not really noticed it before (or maybe I don't often start to quote someone & then change my mind/exit a thread or forum).

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Mar 23, 2016 at 12:58 pm
Old Mar 23, 2016, 12:50 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
I think, but I'm not positive, that if you ever hit the multi-quote button on a post but don't ever hit the "Post Reply" button on that thread, that is the message you will get, that way you can multi-quote posts from various threads rather easily.

I don't know exactly how long it's done that either but I don't think it's been extremely long - perhaps less than a year?
Old Mar 23, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by lo2e
I think, but I'm not positive, that if you ever hit the multi-quote button on a post but don't ever hit the "Post Reply" button on that thread, that is the message you will get, that way you can multi-quote posts from various threads rather easily.

I don't know exactly how long it's done that either but I don't think it's been extremely long - perhaps less than a year?
I just edited my original post to reflect a test I did, which supports your theory. I guess I've never even thought of doing quotes from different threads, as normally I'm responding to something in the thread I'm in. However, I can see how it could be useful.

And I think you're right re: the timeline. It's something I've just noticed recently.

Thx!

Cheers.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

feature was added before june 22 2011

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
normally I'm responding to something in the thread I'm in. However, I can see how it could be useful.
for example if your response to a question includes a quote of the answer
(without this feature, one would have to click quote then copy and paste)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 24, 2016 at 5:40 pm
Old Dec 24, 2016, 4:25 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Felt like a bit of an IT neanderthal but thankfully have just found this thread

S
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
With the newly redesigned FT I have not been able to do multi quotes. I've clicked on the multi-quote box and then hit reply but that doesn't work...I get a blank box. Any clue how to multi-quote with this new redesign?
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by mh3265a
With the newly redesigned FT I have not been able to do multi quotes. I've clicked on the multi-quote box and then hit reply but that doesn't work...I get a blank box. Any clue how to multi-quote with this new redesign?
I’m not Admin, but I’ve used MultiQuote successfully today (iOS Safari on iPhone and iPad Air 2) without problems. I’m wondering if you clear cache or / and cookies if that might have any impact?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.