Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Avatar Not Appearing?! For Any Users? [Avatars unavailable on FT]

Old Dec 5, 2014, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Though members are presented with the option of using an avatar, the vBulletin software used for FlyerTalk is not enabled to use avatars. At this time, there is no ability to display an avatar on FlyerTalk; allowing avatars is not under consideration.
Print Wikipost

Old Jul 18, 2011, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

I have been in the preferences section and I made sure the box is checked that should allow all images and avvies to be shown. Any idea why I am still not seeing any avatars anywhere across the forum?
Old Jul 18, 2011, 3:53 pm
Community Director Emerita

The software that we use has a number of features that we don't use on FlyerTalk. I'm sorry you've spent time carefully considering an avatar and uploading it, as that is one of the features we don't use.
Old Jul 20, 2011, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Oh.
Old Apr 28, 2012, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Will you consider allowing Avatars?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 11:00 am

Programs: IHG, Marriott, Carlson, AAdvantage, BC US Air, CapitalOne VentureOne
+1 Vote for avatars on FT. I would like to know who I'm speaking with. It would be nice if I could start to recognize some of the users around FT. It would give some posts more/less validity if I could recognize the user based on their custom avatar. I know the main argument is that it's distracting and takes up screen space. Why not limit to very small size avatars then?
Old Dec 4, 2014, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by minerman
+1 Vote for avatars on FT. I would like to know who I'm speaking with. It would be nice if I could start to recognize some of the users around FT. It would give some posts more/less validity if I could recognize the user based on their custom avatar.
Are you aware not every one uses their real-life photos on those avatar-enable sites, aren't you?

Say I like Doraemon:

I LOVE all his amazing gudgets in his pockets. If I had Doraemon as my FT avatar, how would that help you know who you are speaking with or even recognize me? How would my Doraemon avatar affect the validity, if any, in any of my posts on FT?
Old Dec 5, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: IHG, Marriott, Carlson, AAdvantage, BC US Air, CapitalOne VentureOne
Originally Posted by lin821
If I had Doraemon as my FT avatar, how would that help you know who you are speaking with or even recognize me? How would my Doraemon avatar affect the validity, if any, in any of my posts on FT?
Yes, I know this is great! I want silly pictures. The more silly the better! I legitimately have still not read your user name to this point. I'm a visual learner. If I saw that picture in several posts, I'd know that you're the Doraemon person. I'd also know that you post in the same areas that I do, often. I might even remember some of your past posts and trust you as somewhat of an authority based on remembering seeing your picture so often.

Unfortunately, I never remember anyone's username. But pictures stick with me and help me remember users on other forums that I've been a member of in the past.
Old Dec 7, 2014, 1:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
My avatar on other forums...
Old Dec 14, 2014, 6:45 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kipper
My avatar on other forums...
I thought you were a dog person. This is misleading.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 1:55 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Whether kipper is a dog person or not, Hello Kitty not a cat, according to Sanrio:

That's one correction Sanrio made for my script for the show. Hello Kitty is not a cat. She's a cartoon character. She is a little girl. She is a friend. But she is not a cat. She's never depicted on all fours. She walks and sits like a two-legged creature. She does have a pet cat of her own, however, and it's called Charmmy Kitty."
Kitty is actually named Kitty White and she has a full back story. She is a Scorpio. She loves apple pie. And she is the daughter of George and Mary White.

"She has a twin sister," adds Yano. "She's a perpetual third-grader. She lives outside of London.
(source: linky)

So do you still think kipper's avatar misleading?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:17 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Hmm. Maybe ithis is why we don't have avatars on FT?
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:20 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Whether kipper is a dog person or not, Hello Kitty not a cat, according to Sanrio:

Yes, kipper seems much more literate than someone who never left third grade.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 11:23 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
LOL, I am, but I'm also a gun person.

Originally Posted by JDiver
Hmm. Maybe ithis is why we don't have avatars on FT?
Gee, could it be?
Yes, kipper seems much more literate than someone who never left third grade.
Thank you, I think.
Old Sep 4, 2016, 11:56 pm

resurrecting this thread to find out if the avatars are going to be allowed or what?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.