Reload this Page >

Links opening in the same window/tab

Old Jan 24, 2011, 3:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA

How do I post a link in a thread that will open up in the same tab instead of a new tab? I'm creating an FAQ thread for an airline, and I'm linking different posts within the thread to the OP, and I want those links to open up in the same tab (considering they're simply scrolling down in the thread).
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:33 pm

You can't. the URL parser doesn't allow you to add the required modifiers.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
You can't. the URL parser doesn't allow you to add the required modifiers.
See this thread (as an example...I do believe there are others): FAQ for Continental, OnePass and Life's Greater Mysteries. Click on links in the first post, and see that they do open in the same tab..
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:40 pm
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by joshwex90
See this thread (as an example...I do believe there are others): FAQ for Continental, OnePass and Life's Greater Mysteries. Click on links in the first post, and see that they do open in the same tab..
Because the links in that first post take you to what's called an anchor in the same thread you're in. So rather than open up a new page/tab, they just shift you down the thread to the correct post. So if you're linking to a post within the same thread, no new page/tab, but if you're going to a different thread or a non-FT website, then new page/tab.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lo2e
Because the links in that first post take you to what's called an anchor in the same thread you're in. So rather than open up a new page/tab, they just shift you down the thread to the correct post. So if you're linking to a post within the same thread, no new page/tab, but if you're going to a different thread or a non-FT website, then new page/tab.
That's not entirely true. I know that's not the case because I figured out how to do it, in quite a simple way actually. I "quoted" the OP of the CO FAQ thread. Originally, in the thread I'm making, even though the links were in the same thread, they opened up in a new page as they linked using the regular url parse. However, the way links are written in the CO FAQ thread is different: it writes is as [post=*insert post # here, such as 1234567*]the text you want displayed[/post]

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.