Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

Flyertalk iPhone App Feedback (all versions)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyertalk iPhone App Feedback (all versions)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2011, 1:40 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
I wonder if those citing 2 ads are actually scrolling thru the lists at all, because most of the time, I only see 1 or 0 ads on the screen at a given time:

1) In Forum view, both ads I see are scrollable, one a the top of the thread list, one at the bottom. I don't mind this implementation, although both ads are exactly the same, which seems pointless.

2) In Thread view, one ad at the top of the post list is scrollable and a second at the bottom of the page is fixed. I like this implementation less because of the real estate the fixed ad takes up, and having exactly the same ad makes even less sense here.

If I had my choice, I'd suggest putting one scrollable ad at the top of both lists and getting rid of the second ad, especially since it's the same anyways.

I don't have a problem a priori with ads - someone has to pay for the development of the app. I would also pay for a paid app, but the bar for functionality would be considerably higher to make it worthwhile.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dstan
I wonder if those citing 2 ads are actually scrolling thru the lists at all, because most of the time, I only see 1 or 0 ads on the screen at a given time:

1) In Forum view, both ads I see are scrollable, one a the top of the thread list, one at the bottom. I don't mind this implementation, although both ads are exactly the same, which seems pointless.

2) In Thread view, one ad at the top of the post list is scrollable and a second at the bottom of the page is fixed. I like this implementation less because of the real estate the fixed ad takes up, and having exactly the same ad makes even less sense here.

If I had my choice, I'd suggest putting one scrollable ad at the top of both lists and getting rid of the second ad, especially since it's the same anyways.

I don't have a problem a priori with ads - someone has to pay for the development of the app. I would also pay for a paid app, but the bar for functionality would be considerably higher to make it worthwhile.
I think the general consensus is that the fixed ad is excessively invasive.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 7:40 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
^
Old Jan 5, 2011, 10:58 am

Programs: BA Silver, HHonours Gold, Mucci of Pucci, Oyster Card, Nectar Card, Father's Day Card
Deleted it today.

It is far better and easier accessing the usual FT site through Safari or Atomic web browser, even before you start on about the ridiculously intrusive ads.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, AA Concierge Key, Delta, United, Emorates, and others
I haven't deleted it yet but I also don't use it. Werenit to have roughly equal function I would prefer the faster pages it yields, but I find it unusable. You have given all the reasons so I will not repeat them.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Installed, knowing the ads were there from the posts here. Deleted in less than 2 minutes.

In that two minutes:

The "Welcome mreed911..." banner at the top is HUGE (especially in comparison to the "you have 1 new notification..." banner, and doesn't really need to be there.

If you click it, you go to your profile. But, once there, there's NO indication of how to get BACK. I tried swiping left to right to go back a page, which should be the standard UI swipe for this action, and nothing. Only clicking on the box at the top that said "My Profile," which looks like a title box, was I presented with options to get somewhere else. VERY unintuitive.

FWIW, it SHOWS that this isn't a FlyerTalk App, but a VBulletin App. It also shows how re-skinning vBulletin skins for the iPhone is a tough proposition. In that regard, I'd suggest you seriously incorporate that into your development estimates, as you're going to need SIGNIFICANT rework for each site. Then, focus on each app... make FT work well then use it as a demo for all the others to show them how a well tuned UI works.

As-is, the mobile site is MUCH more usable.

Oh, BTW, if you want REALLY unobtrusive ads that FT'ers are more likely to interact with, use iAd. MUCH better platform than AdMob.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 1:53 pm

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
I'll add to the chorous:

1. Put out a paid version to suppress the ads.
2. Would like a refresh button - when I bring it up it often has the thread state from yesterday.
3. It does crash somewhat frequently.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jbcarioca
You have given all the reasons so I will not repeat them.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by mreed911
... make FT work well then use it as a demo for all the others to show them how a well tuned UI works.

Oh, BTW, if you want REALLY unobtrusive ads that FT'ers are more likely to interact with, use iAd. MUCH better platform than AdMob.
That's why you're seeing it first.

We looked into iAd, and I wasn't all that impressed.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Premier Plat, Alaska MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by IB-Dick
We looked into iAd, and I wasn't all that impressed.
I dislike ads. For something useful, I'd pay for an ad-free version.

That said, I've NEVER clicked on an admob ad (andI I've had an iPhone since they came out).

I've clicked on SEVERAL iAds, and found most of them engaging enough that I stayed in longer than the initial screen. My expectations for ad content have been raised, and the combination of unobtrusive and rich works for me.

Then again, I run Click2Flash on my Mac, so I don't see most Flash-based ads, either. I don't run ....... because I know the impression count helps fund sites (like this), but I've thought about it.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 2:27 am

Programs: SK-EBD/*A Gold, BA Gold/OW Emerald, HH Gold, ChoiceHotels Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, Sixt Plat,
Thumbs up

IB-DICK wrote:

Hear. Hear!
Old Jan 9, 2011, 3:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
I've tried it out, and while I applaud you for your efforts, it just doesn't work for me. I've done a lot of user-interface design in my time and this one leaves me very unimpressed. Other posters have identified the problems I see: too many ads, not enough screen real estate devoted to content, no MyFT, awkwardness of dealing with 100+ post threads, no memory of last-post-viewed, too many ads (I know I said it before, but there _are_ two after all)

I suggest reducing the ads to one static bar at the bottom, a $5 ad-free version and getting rid of a lot of the on-screen controls to display more threads. Look at most of the newspaper apps for examples. ie. Time, or the New York Times which have both implemented a really slick feature where all the screen garbage disappears when you click on an article, displaying only content. The FT app looks really poor in comparison.

I'll check back when I see an update, but for now I'll be sticking to the mobile site.
Old Jan 10, 2011, 8:43 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
The top bar says "welcome <myusername>" but beyond that, I get "There appears to be a connection issue between your device and FlyerTalk. Please try again" (and again and again...) Beyond that no luck.
Old Jan 12, 2011, 4:40 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
Originally Posted by edi-traveller
Deleted it today.

It is far better and easier accessing the usual FT site through Safari or Atomic web browser, even before you start on about the ridiculously intrusive ads.
Me too. I like the larger letters and graphics of the mobile version. And yes, way way too many ads and too much space is being taken on the bottom and top of the app. I would really like it to open a page with my favourite forums and such.
Old Jan 13, 2011, 10:35 pm
No longer at Internet Brands

Programs: America Advantage
update

We submitted an update to the app store today. We have moved to a single ad and made bunch of bug fixes.

Clearly more work to do but we wanted to get the ad fix up quickly.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 8:14 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
Android?

Any update on an Android App? There has been no mention of it since Dec 20.

Thank you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.