Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Sign in using an external account

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Nov 19, 14, 11:07 am   -   Wikipost
FlyerTalk Forums Thread Wiki: No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)
Please read: this is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread.

Last edit by: IBobi
Wikipost instructions: this wiki post is locked, and may be edited by Administrators and Senior Moderators; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Currently, there is no paid Premium subscription to eliminate advertising from the FlyerTalk viewing experience, and at this moment (18 Nov 2014) there is no plan for a Premium subscription in the works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Hi everyone,

As of now, we do not have a solution regarding Premium. What this means is that there is currently no plan for a Premium, ads-free product. It doesn't mean there won't ever be one, but the fact that it's not on the radar means it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Regarding ads, please *do not promote ad-blocking software on FlyerTalk*. I don't know that anyone particularly enjoys seeing advertising. But the fact remains that FlyerTalk is *free* to use, and that's because of advertising revenue. In addition, the use of adblockers causes us (me) no end of headaches, because it interferes with site functionality in such a way as to make it very difficult to determine if there is an issue with flyertalk.com, or with a single user's computer. The complaint comes in and must be researched either way.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul
HISTORY: A few years ago, Randy Petersen, owned a number of travel-related products and websites under Frequent Flyer Services (est. 1986), including FlyerTalk, WebFlyer, FlyerGuide (wiki) and Inside Flyer magazine (more recently, MilePoint and Boarding Area).

When the FlyerTalk Premium subscription was instituted, one could subscribe to Inside Flyer magazine and through it, to an advert-free version of FlyerTalk that also included an expanded message box for Private Messaging.

Randy Petersen sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands March 2007 and Randy Petersen and FlyerTalk went their separate ways in November of 2010.

When Premium subscriptions came up for renewal, for a period of time the Premium subscription could appear to be renewed by paying once again via the Inside Flyer webform. Unfortunately, due to the separation of ownership, this did not extend the Premium FlyerTalk subscription, and previous Premium members were presented with advertising and saw a sudden diminution of their PM message box.

CURRENT STATUS: Admin has been working on a Premium, ad-free membership solution for over two years, but at this moment there is no Premium membership, nor is there any intent for such a product in the near future.

On a case-by-case basis, Administration has extended an ads-free experience with expanded PM message box to those (relatively few) members with a recent Premium subscription due date gratis. If you feel you have cause to request that interim free service because your Premium service expired recently, please post your request here. These should not be expected to be renewed in perpetuity.

Other posts relating to the future of Premium subscriptions and related issues may be posted here as well.

When (and if) the Tech and Admin departments have a Premium subscription solution at hand, it will undoubtedly be advertised or broadcast to all FT members. For now, there's no comprehensive solution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 23, 10, 3:28 am   #1
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Starwood (Plat) and every other US program
Ads Displaying I'm Premium

Effective just a few minutes ago, I get ads displayed on FT, even though I have paid for premium. Was there a change in policy or a technical glitch?

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 17, 14 at 8:43 pm. Reason: restore original post title
sbrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 6:37 am   #2
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite
I have Premium service and am not seeing ads.... so I think your second option is most likely correct... what a shock...
wharvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 10, 11:02 am   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbrower View Post
Effective just a few minutes ago, I get ads displayed on FT, even though I have paid for premium. Was there a change in policy or a technical glitch?
Your FlyerTalk Premium subscription ended today.

If you still subscribe to InsideFlyer you can renew your FlyerTalk Premium service here.
Mikel at Webflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 11, 8:25 pm   #4

I'm also seeing ads. A week or so ago I got a renewal notice for InsideFlyer, I renewed for two years and I think I re-associated my flyertalk account to the insideflyer id.

I can log into www.insideflyer.com just fine and see that my account now expires in 2013. But http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/claim_subscription.php says:

Quote:
We could not find an active InsideFlyer.com user account that matches the info you have provided.
WCT3U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 11, 12:34 am   #5
Community Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCT3U View Post
I'm also seeing ads. A week or so ago I got a renewal notice for InsideFlyer, I renewed for two years and I think I re-associated my flyertalk account to the insideflyer id.

I can log into www.insideflyer.com just fine and see that my account now expires in 2013. But http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/claim_subscription.php says:
Randy Petersen owns Inside Flyer and owned FlyerTalk. He sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands. Internet Brands gets no revenue from your subscription to Inside Flyer. As a matter of courtesy, I've just extended your ad free access to FlyerTalk. For others reading this, I do not know what Internet Brands' plans are re offering an ad free FT.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Apr 26, 11 at 12:41 am. Reason: typo
SanDiego1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 11, 8:36 am   #6

Thank you for that. So, FlyerTalk Premium is extinct? The subscription pages give no indication that the program has ended.
WCT3U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 11, 2:07 am   #7
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I really hope plans continue to offer FT Premium. If not, I'll just make sure AdBlock Plus is enabled for my visits to FT, as it really ruins the reading experience to have ads all over the place.
Old Apr 27, 11, 8:57 am   #8
Community Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies View Post
I really hope plans continue to offer FT Premium.
I spoke to Internet Brands yesterday about this. They assured me that they will do so; they simply have to figure it out what to do.
Old Apr 27, 11, 3:28 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, G.E./NEXUS, Amex, UA 1K/RCC, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K View Post
I spoke to Internet Brands yesterday about this. They assured me that they will do so; they simply have to figure it out what to do.
Thanks, Carol
Old Jun 4, 11, 12:13 am   #10
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any update on how to keep going on Premium?
My premium access expired (insideflyer is still active, but I realize they are separate). No my PM box is totally full because I lost my increased quota.

Is there a solution?
Old Jul 21, 11, 5:46 am   #11

Programs: UA, bmi, AA, CO, DL, B6, AMEX, Hertz, Most Hotels
Ads on mobile site?

I'm logged in yet an ad for the new UA credit card is showing at the bottom of my screen.

Is this normal? I'm new to the mobile site but don't ever recall seeing ads before?
bk3day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 11, 12:38 pm   #12

Programs: BA Silver, CAMRA
Today I lost $24 because I went to renew my Inside Flyer subscription after reading on the Flyertalk Premium page:

Quote:
Complete the steps below to start enjoying FlyerTalk Premium access today!

Step #1 - Subscribe to InsideFlyer magazine (Already a subscriber? Click here.)

Clicking on the link above will open a subscription page on the InsideFlyer.com Web site. Once you have completed the subscription process, close that window and come back to this page to complete your FlyerTalk Premium registration.

Step #2 - Register for FlyerTalk Premium Access You are logged in as ****, to verify premium access for **** provide your InsideFlyer.com username and password below:
I sent a help message and received:

Quote:
Thank you for your inquiry. Randy Peterson's "Inside Flyer" magazine is not affiliated with FlyerTalk, and currently, we do not offer a premium service for 2011. We are working to put together an ad-free premium service for FlyerTalkers, and will announce site-wide when this is available.

Thank you again for being a member of the forum.

Best,
What I don't understand is why the Flyertalk website is still telling members to update their Inside Flyer subscription to keep the premium service.... MONTHS after that facility became unavailable. Will I be able to get my $24 back?
Old Aug 22, 11, 12:50 pm   #13
Community Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger50 View Post
What I don't understand is why the Flyertalk website is still telling members to update their Inside Flyer subscription to keep the premium service.... MONTHS after that facility became unavailable. Will I be able to get my $24 back?
Ginger50, I'm really sorry about this. It has to be very aggravating to follow instructions and then learn they are outdated. I've gone ahead and given you adfree access. I don't know if InsiderFlyer will give you your money back. You should contact their subscription department. We can't help with that. It's a great magazine and well worth reading.

I've also asked the IT crew at Internet Brands to take down the outdated page.
Old Aug 22, 11, 3:19 pm   #14
Administrator

Thanks for answering that, Carol.

Yes, the text that appears on the FlyerTalk Premium page is incorrect -- there is no connection between the magazine subscription and FT Premium. We will change that link.

We are in the process of putting together an even better Premium package that will include Ad-Free browsing. Stay tuned!

Paul
IBobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 22, 11, 5:10 pm   #15
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBobi View Post
Thanks for answering that, Carol.

Yes, the text that appears on the FlyerTalk Premium page is incorrect -- there is no connection between the magazine subscription and FT Premium. We will change that link.

We are in the process of putting together an even better Premium package that will include Ad-Free browsing. Stay tuned!

Paul
I look forward to the new package, but hope the pricing is comparable.