Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Technical Support and Feedback
Reload this Page >

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IBobi
Wikipost instructions: this wiki post is locked, and may be edited by Administrators and Senior Moderators; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Currently, there is no paid Premium subscription to eliminate advertising from the FlyerTalk viewing experience, and at this moment (18 Nov 2014) there is no plan for a Premium subscription in the works.

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi everyone,

As of now, we do not have a solution regarding Premium. What this means is that there is currently no plan for a Premium, ads-free product. It doesn't mean there won't ever be one, but the fact that it's not on the radar means it probably won't be happening any time soon.

Regarding ads, please *do not promote ad-blocking software on FlyerTalk*. I don't know that anyone particularly enjoys seeing advertising. But the fact remains that FlyerTalk is *free* to use, and that's because of advertising revenue. In addition, the use of adblockers causes us (me) no end of headaches, because it interferes with site functionality in such a way as to make it very difficult to determine if there is an issue with flyertalk.com, or with a single user's computer. The complaint comes in and must be researched either way.

Thank you all for your help,

Paul
HISTORY: A few years ago, Randy Petersen, owned a number of travel-related products and websites under Frequent Flyer Services (est. 1986), including FlyerTalk, WebFlyer, FlyerGuide (wiki) and Inside Flyer magazine (more recently, MilePoint and Boarding Area).

When the FlyerTalk Premium subscription was instituted, one could subscribe to Inside Flyer magazine and through it, to an advert-free version of FlyerTalk that also included an expanded message box for Private Messaging.

Randy Petersen sold FlyerTalk to Internet Brands March 2007 and Randy Petersen and FlyerTalk went their separate ways in November of 2010.

When Premium subscriptions came up for renewal, for a period of time the Premium subscription could appear to be renewed by paying once again via the Inside Flyer webform. Unfortunately, due to the separation of ownership, this did not extend the Premium FlyerTalk subscription, and previous Premium members were presented with advertising and saw a sudden diminution of their PM message box.

CURRENT STATUS: Admin has been working on a Premium, ad-free membership solution for over two years, but at this moment there is no Premium membership, nor is there any intent for such a product in the near future.

On a case-by-case basis, Administration has extended an ads-free experience with expanded PM message box to those (relatively few) members with a recent Premium subscription due date gratis. If you feel you have cause to request that interim free service because your Premium service expired recently, please post your request here. These should not be expected to be renewed in perpetuity.

Other posts relating to the future of Premium subscriptions and related issues may be posted here as well.

When (and if) the Tech and Admin departments have a Premium subscription solution at hand, it will undoubtedly be advertised or broadcast to all FT members. For now, there's no comprehensive solution.

Thank you for your understanding.

Print Wikipost

No ad / Ads - Premium subscription (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2013, 8:15 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, UA 1P, Hertz 5*
My IF sub expired and I'm seeing ads. I even renewed said subscription only to discover FT Premium is in limbo. Can someone also help me with blocking these ads please? Its a big drain on mobile browsing for sure! Thank you.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 12:37 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by Lax_Traveler
My IF sub expired and I'm seeing ads. I even renewed said subscription only to discover FT Premium is in limbo. Can someone also help me with blocking these ads please? Its a big drain on mobile browsing for sure! Thank you.
You're taken care of.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think i am approaching my subscription expiration - can you extend it?
Will pay whenever the adfree option becomes available again.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
I think i am approaching my subscription expiration - can you extend it?
Will pay whenever the adfree option becomes available again.
When it expires, let me know. I can't do it until it drops.
Old Aug 8, 2013, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When it expires, let me know. I can't do it until it drops.
seeing ads now and pm mailbox is full...
Old Aug 8, 2013, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by azepine00
seeing ads now and pm mailbox is full...
Fixed!
Old Aug 14, 2013, 12:41 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by OverThereTooMuch
I can't believe this thread is still active.
Indeed it is. And now for the first time since 1846 I am seeing adds all over the place with no premium service in sight.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
And now for the first time since 1846 I am seeing adds all over the place with no premium service in sight.
Is it B.C. or A.D.?
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:28 am
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by lin821
Is it B.C. or A.D.?
Its actually Stardate.

Thanks IBobi by the way.
Old Aug 23, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, UA 1P, Hertz 5*
You're taken care of.
Much appreciated btw!
Old Aug 26, 2013, 12:29 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DownUnderFlyer
Its actually Stardate.

Thanks IBobi by the way.
Originally Posted by Lax_Traveler
Much appreciated btw!
My pleasure
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Question No solution yet?

I'd happily pay to have an "ad free" experience

I normally read FT using my iPad, my "fat fingers" often accidentally open ads

Although this may be good for IB as I guess "every click through helps"
Old Sep 29, 2013, 10:20 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
No Ad free FT option at this time

Recent received
Paid Subscription Expiry Notice

Hello,

Your access to the "Ad Free w/ One Year InsideFlyer.com" is scheduled to expire soon.

Currently, we do not offer a premium service. We are working to put together an ad-free service for FlyerTalkers, and will announce a new package site-wide when this is available.

Yours,
FlyerTalk Forums team
and took effect today.

No sure where to direct this post, so will start here.

1) Disappointed the choice was to re-introduce (even if temporarily) ads for folks who had longtime supported the community with a subscription. Why could not the "ad free" option be continued until a true option was available?

2) This choice will drive more to the "free" option of ad blockers and foreclose future participation in any new program.

3) The announcement seems to be parallel of the customer unfriendly approach some airlines use -- with a lack of forward looking info. When will new info be available? Only a tease of what may come but in the meantime I get ads and someone gets revenue from those ads.

Believe this has been handled poorly.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:00 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
While I wish there was an ad-free version available to all members, remember you were supporting Randy Petersen and not really Flyertalk.com. IB was being generous to give you ad-free access for the past few years even though Randy Petersen was not involved with this site.
Old Sep 29, 2013, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by wharvey
While I wish there was an ad-free version available to all members, remember you were supporting Randy Petersen and not really Flyertalk.com. IB was being generous to give you ad-free access for the past few years even though Randy Petersen was not involved with this site.
I understand the need for change but get the new method in place before turning off the old method -- there has been plenty of time to do that.

Another negative -- my PM ability has been disabled as I exceed the "free" limit.

What else has this broken? To this longtime active supporter of FT, this feels very customer unfriendly. Forcing ads and not providing an option (and even a timeline for the option), disabling functionality, ....

I must admit it has been eye-opening to see the aggressive amount of ads on FT. I understand the need for revenue, but lacking any other choice I will not tolerate the ads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.