Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tapatalk -- NOT coming to FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:09 am

Programs: Flying Blue, easyJet Plus (!)
Originally Posted by ellinj
For a board that caters to the Mobile Traveller, its a shame there is no decent mobile app. The current VBulletin app is terrible.
Agree, it's unusable.

Unfortunately, the mobile "skin" for Web browser use is also unusable, as it doesn't deal with the hierarchical forums properly - i.e. I can't get to the BA Executive Club or United Kingdom forums. Sort that and I don't mind there being no app.

Neil
Old Feb 17, 2012, 12:22 am

I for one would also like Tapatalk support, for mobile platforms they have done such a good job.

I've tried the official Flyertalk Android app, but in reality its not exactly that great.

Also no updates since 23 May 2011??
Old Feb 22, 2012, 5:33 am

Programs: Miles & Bonus *S
I wouldn't mind tapatalk support either, since posting normally from a phone (as I am doing now) can be a bit tedious and cumbersome.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Same here voicing my support for Tapatalk. Powers that be should know if we use it on the road we check in when we land and are at home and work. And if we can visit while on the road then we will be more active here.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 4:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
+1. Would love Tapatalk support for both my iPad and GNEX phone
Old Mar 29, 2012, 9:16 am

For a board that caters to the Mobile Traveller, its a shame there is no decent mobile app.
+1
Couldn't have expressed it any better.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 6:59 pm

This thread was started nearly two years ago (August 2010) and still no response from anyone of authority on this board.

I think, even though, quite a few people want it, it can be safe to say that the powers that be for Flyertalk are not really interested in mobile content.

The native iphone and android apps haven't been updated since May 2011 and looking at the stats were not even that popular (1,000 - 5,000 downloads for the Android app for example). On top of that the mobile optimised site is next to useless.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 7:17 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by theworld
This thread was started nearly two years ago (August 2010) and still no response from anyone of authority on this board.

I think, even though, quite a few people want it, it can be safe to say that the powers that be for Flyertalk are not really interested in mobile content.

The native iphone and android apps haven't been updated since May 2011 and looking at the stats were not even that popular (1,000 - 5,000 downloads for the Android app for example). On top of that the mobile optimised site is next to useless.
There have been many responses within this thread, from myself and Dick (look for our usernames in RED early and often in this thread); the plainly and oft-stated answer on Tapatalk is no, for the reasons expressed by us on the preceding pages.

The native apps are not perfect, but they're used by many FTers and provide more than the basic functionality that 3rd-party forum readers do, without exposing FlyerTalk to the vagaries of what and how some other company wishes to do with our members' content.

I'm sorry that the answer is negative, but I hope we've done our best to explain. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Paul
Community Manager
Old Mar 30, 2012, 7:15 am

Programs: AA EXP / UA Lifetime Gold / Marriott Lifetime Plat / SPG Plat / Hyatt Diamond / HH Diamond / Avis CC
Seems since Randy and Gary have moved on to Milepoint there have been no changes, positive or otherwise
Old Jun 6, 2012, 12:53 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by IBobi
There have been many responses within this thread, from myself and Dick (look for our usernames in RED early and often in this thread); the plainly and oft-stated answer on Tapatalk is no, for the reasons expressed by us on the preceding pages.

The native apps are not perfect, but they're used by many FTers and provide more than the basic functionality that 3rd-party forum readers do, without exposing FlyerTalk to the vagaries of what and how some other company wishes to do with our members' content.

I'm sorry that the answer is negative, but I hope we've done our best to explain. If you have any further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Paul
Community Manager
That is a shame. But pretty clear.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 11:30 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Originally Posted by joediver
Seems since Randy and Gary have moved on to Milepoint there have been no changes, positive or otherwise
I would disagree - have you been inside the Talkboard Topics forum lately? There have been several decisions made by the Talkboard (a representative body of the membership of FT) since the present board was elected back in the end of 2011. Maybe there haven't been large, sweeping changes that have been largely noticeable, but that's not to say that nothing has changed.

Of course, if you have suggestions on how to improve FT, your suggestions are most welcome in the aforementioned Talkboard Topics forum, though I would strongly suggest that you take a look at the thread that depicts what the Talkboard is and how changes are considered.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:24 pm

I just stumbled upon this thread today, and am a little disappointed by Tapatalk being shot down. Not really sure how it would be considered opening up your database to a 3rd party. In all honesty, it's a public forum and anything said on here is fair game to be duplicated at any time. After all, there are plenty of cached versions available on Google as an example. It's not like we're asking for API's to any kind of mission critical or confidential information here, just forum posts.

I realize this is FT's forum and they're free to do what ever they want with it, but ultimately you should consider what the people want. If people want Tapatalk and you don't budge, they may move on.

But I don't expect to change any minds here. It's almost been two years and no further considerations.

Just my 2c.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:33 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Mobile solutions

There is a FlyerTalk iPhone app (see it in the app store), an Android app in the Android marketplace, and there is of course the option to view the full site on your mobile browser!

With so many mobile options, and considering the drawbacks, Tapatalk just doesn't make sense for FlyerTalk. Please give one of the other mobile options a try

Paul
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by xero9
I just stumbled upon this thread today, and am a little disappointed by Tapatalk being shot down. Not really sure how it would be considered opening up your database to a 3rd party. In all honesty, it's a public forum and anything said on here is fair game to be duplicated at any time. After all, there are plenty of cached versions available on Google as an example. It's not like we're asking for API's to any kind of mission critical or confidential information here, just forum posts.

I realize this is FT's forum and they're free to do what ever they want with it, but ultimately you should consider what the people want. If people want Tapatalk and you don't budge, they may move on.

But I don't expect to change any minds here. It's almost been two years and no further considerations.

Just my 2c.
I personally use ForumRunner, which is similar app on a few other forums, but in general I wouldn't care what app is used, as long as it is better than the one they have now which is terrible. For a board that is centered around a mobility is sucks that we have no first rate mobile app.
Old Jun 16, 2012, 8:26 am

I personally use ForumRunner, which is similar app on a few other forums, but in general I wouldn't care what app is used, as long as it is better than the one they have now which is terrible. For a board that is centered around a mobility is sucks that we have no first rate mobile app.
You had me excited that ForumRunner could work with this site. Turns out it doesn't. Ah well, I'm only here for one thread, then I will move on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.