Wiki Posts
Search

Tapatalk -- NOT coming to FlyerTalk

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Choice Privileges DIA, HHonors, United, Delta
Tapatalk -- NOT coming to FlyerTalk

Are there any plans to allow tapatalk (smartphone app) access to the forum?
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:03 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I'd also be interested in an answer to mclee19's question.

(No, I'm not in any way involved with Tapatalk. But I rather like the look of it and am increasingly seeing it used by posters on other forums.)
Old Aug 12, 2010, 10:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IMH
I'd also be interested in an answer to mclee19's question.

(No, I'm not in any way involved with Tapatalk. But I rather like the look of it and am increasingly seeing it used by posters on other forums.)
Good point - for the record, I have no interest in the software other than as a user. No COI here!
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:25 am

Programs: Delta GM, Holiday Inn Gold, Marriott Silver
I would like to add my vote for Tapatalk

I was alset to start another thread... I love the tool and it is nice on my android to be able to post replies and whatnot. I think they have an app for the iPhone too.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

mobile.flyertalk.com is a reasonably functional version for smart phones.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 12:07 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by sbm12
mobile.flyertalk.com is a reasonably functional version for smart phones.
I'd say minimally functional is closer to the mark. A step in the right direction, certainly, but not a very big one.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA(PPro), UA, AGR, BW(Plat), HH, WoH, MB(S)
I will add my vote for Tapatalk, and I too have no connection whatsoever with the app supplier.

While a mobile version of the web page may be "functional", an app version is almost always better. I think Tapatalk support would be a great enhancement for FT.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 1:12 pm

Mikel requested that I address this, so I shall.

I completely agree with the spirit of Tapatalk, however installing it on this site opens up a number of liabilities. Anytime a site opens its database through a third-party API, there is risk associated with it, and we simply cannot accept that risk. Beyond that, we need to have control over the branding of Flyertalk, and allowing third parties access to re-publish and redistribute user content outside our control can be dangerous. While we assume that Tapatalk properly handles these issues, we still need to be sensative to them.

We fully understand the desire to interact with Fltyertalk through native smartphone apps, and I assue you that there is currently work being done to meet these desires. We are, however, making sure that this is being done in the best interest of Flyertalkers and the Flyertalk community.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
Mikel requested that I address this, so I shall.

I completely agree with the spirit of Tapatalk, however installing it on this site opens up a number of liabilities. Anytime a site opens its database through a third-party API, there is risk associated with it, and we simply cannot accept that risk. Beyond that, we need to have control over the branding of Flyertalk, and allowing third parties access to re-publish and redistribute user content outside our control can be dangerous. While we assume that Tapatalk properly handles these issues, we still need to be sensative to them.

We fully understand the desire to interact with Fltyertalk through native smartphone apps, and I assue you that there is currently work being done to meet these desires. We are, however, making sure that this is being done in the best interest of Flyertalkers and the Flyertalk community.
Thank you very much for addressing/answering this.
Old Sep 10, 2010, 3:48 pm
IMH

Originally Posted by IB-Dick
We fully understand the desire to interact with Fltyertalk through native smartphone apps, and I assue you that there is currently work being done to meet these desires.
Thanks for the update. I think everyone here can understand IB not wanting to surrender control or open up databases. I for one would be happy with any good quality native solution for (in my case) the iPhone; Tapatalk was just an example of something that appears to work well.

Any guidance on the timetable for development and release?

Last edited by IMH; Sep 11, 2010 at 3:11 pm Reason: punc.tuation
Old Sep 11, 2010, 12:56 pm

The time tables have shifted a few times, so I'm not confortable giving out anything that might be consieved as solid, but I will tell you that there is something in active development for multiple platforms.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 6:00 am

Programs: US Silver, HHonors Silver
I am looking for something like this too. Just upgraded to a Droid X and love Tapatalk for some forums, but I also completely understand not wanting to open up the databases. I look forward to whatever you all have planned. Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
I use forumrunner on another forum I frequent. Great app but probably poses similar concerns as tapatalk.
Old Nov 29, 2010, 12:47 am

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Titanium Elite, Formerly UA 1K and Hertz President's Circle
Casting my vote for same. I don't know the technical issues/concerns expressed here, but here are some links for anyone interested. I just posted in an unrelated forum so excuse the copy/paste. :-) BTW, according to the Tapatalk website there are currently 9,700 forums using this of which 1,200 were added in the last 30 days.

Hi, there's an iPhone (and Blackberry, Android and Nokia) app called Tapatalk for mobile access to forums like this. It requires a forum plug-in that's claimed to be free and only take 10 minutes for a forum owner to install. Can you take a look and consider installing it? Here's more info:

phpBB3 3.0.x, vBulletin 3.7.x/3.8.x/4.0.x, Invision Power Board (IPB) 3.0.x and Simple Machine Forum (SMF) 1.1.x/2.0.x are supported.

Home - http://www.tapatalk.com/
Forum Owners - http://www.tapatalk.com/plugin.php
TiPb review/video - http://www.tipb.com/2010/09/28/tapat...ne-app-review/
Old Nov 30, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta 360, Alaska Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Gold
It would be great to have better support for smartphones. The iPhone can surf the website but a native app seems to work better. Looking forward to the FlyerTalk app.

Thanks for all of your support.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.