Wiki Posts
Search

My Flyertalk showing all threads since 3/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2010, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
If it truly is more accurate, I certainly hope there will not be a roll back. If even I can figure out how to mark forums read, other members should have no problem.
For me that is not the issue. Forums unread show up at will. I want them to show all the time and not have to search to see where there are posts I have not read.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
INTERESTING --- It seems that My Flyertalk now shows you threads you're subscribed to that you have NOT read as opposed to all threads that were changed since the last time you logged in which you're subscribed to. It seems that once you enter the thread, the thread will no longer appear in the MY FT listing. That is a change from the way I've used it in the past, and may be a little too "dynamic" for my liking.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 7:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GoingAway
INTERESTING --- It seems that My Flyertalk now shows you threads you're subscribed to that you have NOT read as opposed to all threads that were changed since the last time you logged in which you're subscribed to. It seems that once you enter the thread, the thread will no longer appear in the MY FT listing. That is a change from the way I've used it in the past, and may be a little too "dynamic" for my liking.
No kidding.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I am not sure what the difference is that you are seeing. The thread does drop off the My FT page once it is read but it comes back when there are new posts. The main difference now is that it actually does away when you read it instead of sitting there well after it has been read because of the way the cookies were set. The theory is that once you've clivked on the thread you have actually read it. If you are clicking on the thread but not actually reading it what are you doing??
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Originally Posted by the_happiness_store
For me that is not the issue. Forums unread show up at will. I want them to show all the time and not have to search to see where there are posts I have not read.
I have not had this problem since I followed the instructions upthread.

It seems that once you enter the thread, the thread will no longer appear in the MY FT listing. That is a change from the way I've used it in the past, and may be a little too "dynamic" for my liking.
I think you are much too kind. More accurate or not, this is a horrible enhancement.

I was willing to give the change a try before I made up my mind. I believe IB-Dick when he tells us, "This change was made because we believe it should offer a better user experience." However, threads disappearing from MY FT listing, as soon as I've posted to them, is NOT giving me a better user experience.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA plus
Originally Posted by sbm12
I am not sure what the difference is that you are seeing. The thread does drop off the My FT page once it is read but it comes back when there are new posts. The main difference now is that it actually does away when you read it instead of sitting there well after it has been read because of the way the cookies were set. The theory is that once you've clivked on the thread you have actually read it. If you are clicking on the thread but not actually reading it what are you doing??
Being distracted, checking something else to verify accuracy of some post in the thread, making dinner, taking a break ... who knows but it's disappearing act is not useful as it is implemented.

I'm glad that you sit down and go through everything methodically, I rarely do and often revisit the same thread from the My FT list multiple times during a session ... most important as noted just above is if I post to a thread and I want to edit that last post, I need to locate the forum & thread manually instead of having it there for reference. Don't know about you, but there are threads I read frequently which I have no clue as to what forum its stored in and frankly shouldn't have to care!!!

The mobile stuff was fine today, but I wonder how it works with this new method to determine the MY FT on each location. The mobile used the old algorithm to show posts (or did earlier today).
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:36 pm

Programs: ADL, ACLU, NRA, HRC, NCLR, WBCA
... most important as noted just above is if I post to a thread and I want to edit that last post, I need to locate the forum & thread manually instead of having it there for reference. Don't know about you, but there are threads I read frequently which I have no clue as to what forum its stored in and frankly shouldn't have to care!!!
Precisely. I do the same, and it's freaking annoying to have to hunt for something I posted 5 minutes ago.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2 MM
Being distracted, checking something else to verify accuracy of some post in the thread, making dinner, taking a break ... who knows but it's disappearing act is not useful as it is implemented.

I'm glad that you sit down and go through everything methodically, I rarely do and often revisit the same thread from the My FT list multiple times during a session ... most important as noted just above is if I post to a thread and I want to edit that last post, I need to locate the forum & thread manually instead of having it there for reference. Don't know about you, but there are threads I read frequently which I have no clue as to what forum its stored in and frankly shouldn't have to care!!!
Exactly!
Old Mar 12, 2010, 10:13 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA, US, AS, Marriott, Radisson, Hilton
We made a change to the way the forum figures out which threads you're read and which you haven't. The way it was previously set was the least accurate method, and doesn't provide the best user experience. The method we're using now is extremely accurate.

Obviously, when the change is first made, the forum doesn't know which you've read and which you haven't. It apparently makes the assumption that you haven't read any threads for a specific period of time.
Sorry to report that it still appears to be less accurate than the previous method,
whatever that was. The problem of flags getting reset during the session seems
to be fixed, but something weird is going on, to wit:

1. All threads since 3/1 are flagged as having unread messages;
1a. The pointers or whatever they are point (in my case) to sometime 3/10, in
the event that nothing has been written since I visited;
2. If there are genuinely new messages in a thread, the pointers point to the
right place.

Seems to be a multifocal problem.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 2:43 am

Originally Posted by violist
Sorry to report that it still appears to be less accurate than the previous method, whatever that was.
The old method assumed you read a thread, even when you didn't. If you visited any forum on FT, at some unknown time later after no activity, all the threads that had new posts would show up as read, even if you didn't read them. Some people grew to like that behavior.

I suspect the new behavior is that threads that haven't been read remain unread, no matter what, unless you mark the forum as read. (That button, by the way, is under the Forum Tools button.).

Anyway, that's my guess.

-David
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:25 am
In Memoriam

I wish I could explain what you did, the only words that come to mind are "screwed things up".
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
I can just about live with this, but PLEASE move the 'Mark Forums Read' button to a direct link on My Flyertalk. Make it easy for me without going through Quick Tools ....
Old Mar 13, 2010, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
The old method assumed you read a thread, even when you didn't. If you visited any forum on FT, at some unknown time later after no activity, all the threads that had new posts would show up as read, even if you didn't read them. Some people grew to like that behavior.

I suspect the new behavior is that threads that haven't been read remain unread, no matter what, unless you mark the forum as read. (That button, by the way, is under the Forum Tools button.).

Anyway, that's my guess.

-David
The button did not work for me.

I hope that IB's clients are pleased with the enhancement.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, BA, Mucci: Sir Roger des Directions Routières, PCR
How can I get to a pre-'enhancement' situation? I don't want read posts disappearing and I find the Today's Posts button fine up to a point, but - believe it or not - there are some days when I don't visit FT, like when I'm stuck on an overnight flight.

I've clicked various buttons and what I see is definitely a downgrade for me. Surely it's not beyond the competence of IB to allow an unenhanced experience.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Roger
How can I get to a pre-'enhancement' situation? I don't want read posts disappearing and I find the Today's Posts button fine up to a point, but - believe it or not - there are some days when I don't visit FT, like when I'm stuck on an overnight flight.

I've clicked various buttons and what I see is definitely a downgrade for me. Surely it's not beyond the competence of IB to allow an unenhanced experience.
That is the word.

It is important in an interactive thread such as music association where you might find something moments after you posted. This is very easy to do in tabbed browsing. It also means that I miss the prior 2 posts on a night with heavy activity. Not a very good enhancement from my end user point of view and terribly implemented from my IT point of view.

Last edited by the_happiness_store; Mar 13, 2010 at 7:16 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.