Search

Forum for airlines of greater China

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2008, 12:15 pm
Formerly known as aep
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Forum for airlines of greater China

As air travel increases in the greater China region, I think a separate forum could be useful. Greater China is usually defined as the PRC, ROC (Taiwan), Hong Kong and Macau. Also, since Cathay Pacific's Asia Miles includes many other programs, and doesn't generate a ton of posts or discussion, combining this whole region into one forum would create one with daily useful posts.

Direct flights from the PRC to ROC are expected to start later this year. The new rules and interactions/agreements/what not between carriers will be confusing. Having one place for all of these posts will be great!
Old May 5, 2008, 12:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
To ask for clarification on your request, would you like CX to be included in this forum?
Old May 5, 2008, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Jenbel
To ask for clarification on your request, would you like CX to be included in this forum?
I would think that it should. While CX is a big airline, it happens to share its lukewarm FFP with KA, CA, and MU (the latter 2 each have their own FFPs, but they are even less exciting than Asia Miles). Plus, many people in BJ and SH like Asia Miles. It would also make sense to expand the domain to other Chinese airlines because they are on many of our radars.

You see, right now, we get threads about flights in China and they are spread between the China forum, Other Asian, and Travelbuzz! I guess there's little hope for reprogramming the Travelbuzz! crowd, but a combined forum might help consolidate discussions that currently get split between the first two categories (I catch them all by the way, but I'm a rare breed).
Old May 5, 2008, 3:50 pm
Formerly known as aep
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing special in many programs
Originally Posted by moondog
I would think that it should. While CX is a big airline, it happens to share its lukewarm FFP with KA, CA, and MU (the latter 2 each have their own FFPs, but they are even less exciting than Asia Miles). Plus, many people in BJ and SH like Asia Miles. It would also make sense to expand the domain to other Chinese airlines because they are on many of our radars.

You see, right now, we get threads about flights in China and they are spread between the China forum, Other Asian, and Travelbuzz! I guess there's little hope for reprogramming the Travelbuzz! crowd, but a combined forum might help consolidate discussions that currently get split between the first two categories (I catch them all by the way, but I'm a rare breed).
I concur completely.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by moondog

Another I'll concur.
Old May 5, 2008, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I support the proposal with the understanding that CX should not have a separate forum but be part of this Greater China forum.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

Cathay has such cachet as a carrier, I'd hate for the its forum to be folded into another. It is one of the stars if not the star of the OneWorld alliance.
Old May 5, 2008, 6:42 pm

also have my support for proposed forum..
Old May 5, 2008, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Just another clarifying question for the experts:
Would this motion be at least 2 parts if it affects CX?

1. Name change for CX forum
2. In line with the name change, expand the forum to include the airlines HQ'd in the region above

(Will TB package this as a 'new forum' proposal or as a 'recycle the CX forum to reflect 2008' one?)

IF that is the agreed proposal I would expect opposition from CX forum regulars.
As it has been made clear before, an own-forum is an indication that a FFP has 'arrived' or has its own critical mass or something special / unique.

Thus several mid-east airlines have their own fora. It isn't just about traffic or threads, but recognition or positioning of that airline's unique offering.

I interpret the support as a way to show the growth and potential of aviation/tourism to & from this growth region, along the lines of the Airlines of India forum.

IF the proposal is re-purpose the CX forum to highlight the China region I would support it but that's a very big If!

Last edited by BiziBB; May 5, 2008 at 7:11 pm
Old May 5, 2008, 8:58 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
If I understand correctly, the proposal is
1) change CX forum to All China-based and Taiwan-based Airlines
and
2) change Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific FFPs to Other Australian, South Pacific and Asian (except India and China and Taiwan) FFPs

There is already a destination forum for general travel & dining queries and information for China - link.

Unlike Airlines of India and Hawaii-based Airlines, there is an airline of greater China which is an important member of a major alliance, and which currently has it's own forum - CX Cathay Pacific Asia Miles. In much the same way as discussion about LO, OU and JP occurs in the LH Lufthansa Miles and More forum, discussion about KA Dragonair is also on the CX forum.

I struggle to see the net benefit of what is being proposed. There are many more posts on CX than on the other China-based (and Taiwan-based) airlines. Further, the alliances, FFP, etc of CX is rather different to the other airlines. Grouping all the discussion together could make it confusing. Each thread on CX and KA will have to spell out it is about CX and KA only (if that is the case). I guess posts prior to the forum change may need to be ringfenced in another forum (seems easier than changing thread titles to clarify).

To me, looks like some minor benefits to the proposal, but offset by disadvantages.
Old May 5, 2008, 8:58 pm

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Cathay has such cachet as a carrier, I'd hate for the its forum to be folded into another. It is one of the stars if not the star of the OneWorld alliance.
I concur. CX should/could remain separate. All airlines of PRC, TWN (ROC) and SAR (Macau only) have a combined forum.
Old May 5, 2008, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
I think the proposal of a forum for China based airlines can be included, but I think it's better to leave the others one out.

China-based Carriers to move into the China based forum.

Hong Kong Carriers...
CX - stay with it's current forum.
KA - stay with CX forum.

CX has a way different FFP that should deserve a forum on it's own and is one of the top stars in it's own alliance, why is there a need to put them in to the China forum and create confusions with the previous and current posts?

KA has now become an affiliate of CX and should stay with CX as their programs are similar.

All other HK carriers can either go with the China forums as it is officially part of China, or stay at the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs.

Macau Carriers...
Either go with the China forums as it is officially part of China, or stay at the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs.

Taiwan Carriers...
They should stay inside the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs because:

1. Creates less confusions between Air China (CA) and China Airlines (CI).
2. Even though most Chinese do not agree Taiwan is a country by it's own, but the frequent fliers do know that they are based at different places and currently does not have a direct route linking except Hong Kong and Macau.
3. Make use of the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs as CI/BR are frequently discussed in the section, while others are not as often.
Old May 6, 2008, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
It looks like there are two different proposals.

One to include all China- region airlines (including taking away the CX own-forum).

Another is to set up a new forum for airlines, except for CX, on the basis of CX having a decent forum that shouldn't suffer at the hands of a new forum.

Out of consideration to the OP, would it be a good idea to discuss each proposal on its merits, rather than to discount one for the other?
Old May 6, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
I fully support an Airlines of China forum however this should include the mainland and the SARs only.

Airlines of Taiwan should get their own forum apart from the China forum. I can't remember the last time I saw a post for Mandarin Airlines however there is a lot of traffic for BR and CI that really dominates the current Other Asian Airlines forum.

I think CX should keep its own forum seperate from the China forum as it is a worthy program in its own right, but Hong Kong in general should be included in the Airlines of China forum as CX and KA aren't the only airline in Hong Kong.
Old May 6, 2008, 10:04 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Marriott silver
Yup. If you put the chinese and taiwanese airlines into a single forum, chances are you'll run into random nationalistic flamewars from both sides of the argument. Not worth the trouble.

Mainland + SAR carriers except CX/affiliates <- that'd be a tolerably thin forum

Airlines of Taiwan

And then rename "Other Asian" to "Other Asian Except India Except China Except Taiwan Except ....?"

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I fully support an Airlines of China forum however this should include the mainland and the SARs only.

Airlines of Taiwan should get their own forum apart from the China forum. I can't remember the last time I saw a post for Mandarin Airlines however there is a lot of traffic for BR and CI that really dominates the current Other Asian Airlines forum.

I think CX should keep its own forum seperate from the China forum as it is a worthy program in its own right, but Hong Kong in general should be included in the Airlines of China forum as CX and KA aren't the only airline in Hong Kong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.