Suggestion: Proposal For a 9W (Jet Airways (India)) Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestion: Proposal For a 9W (Jet Airways (India)) Forum

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Plat
Count me in as a proponent of "Airlines of India". I am a huge fan of Jet Air and think that they are fantastic. Excellent idea!
Old Oct 23, 2007, 11:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AA EXP
Originally Posted by TravelManKen
I'm for a Jet Airways forum, it's impossible to find anything listed as 9W or "Jet"
I agree we should have a separate forum for Jet
Old Oct 26, 2007, 5:10 am
15a

Pls include my support for a dedicated 9W frequent flyer Forum
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:45 am

Programs: OMNI Platinum
There's already a India forum which seems to have no activity as of late, so why create a new forum, which imo will probably have the same fate as the India forum..
Old Nov 2, 2007, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA*G (1K again), Sixt Plat, *was*: SQ QPP01 & SK EBS/EBG, LH SEN, AA EXP, 9wPlat
Originally Posted by ewrfox
There's already a India forum which seems to have no activity as of late, so why create a new forum, which imo will probably have the same fate as the India forum..
This pertains to an *airline* of India, not the destination guide forum, which I think you are referring to.

All postings go into forum constituting a mish-mash of Asian and other airlines at present....
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
As an extremely active participant on many India forums, I can throw some light on this. There is no activity here because better and more active India related options exist elsewhere. Look at IndiaMike.com and IndiaMike.com/india, and there are others. If I had a question about India, why would I ask it at FT? Don't I want an informed answer before my trip?

But that's about India, the place, the destination. FT cannot be everything to everyone on every subject. So, nothing wrong if it is not the platform of choice for those wishing to discuss Indian culture, politics, cuisine, clothes, or trains!

What I do find sad, is that FT has dropped the ball, its natural lead, on air travel as well: to, from, and within India. During the past several years when Indian aviation has rocketed, FT hasn't had a single forum to attract and channel those discussions. So they too are taking place elsewhere.

This is due to the way forums are supposedly created here, and was discussed in another thread. To me, the whole thing is reminiscent of some "Economic Committee" in a Burma or an Albania shuffling its dusty files and waiting to be convinced to allow foreign investments while Chinas, India, Singapores, Thailands of the world run with economic activity.

All of that said, as SuperFlyBoy notes, this proposal is for one specific airline - Jet Airways or 9W. To the best of my knowledge, there is no such forum elsewhere, so this would be a good way for FT to get in the game.

Of course, the activity would be light at first---you think the whole world will rush into Burma on the day the "Economic Committee" decides to allow proposals to be submitted?---but the forum will mesh well with FT's overall culture and will grow as the word spreads.

Last edited by aktchi; Nov 2, 2007 at 1:30 pm
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: OMNI Platinum
I mean if people really wanted to talk about 9W why aren’t they already in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs currently… The forum is somewhat active but that’s because of other airlines also being part of the forum.. Imo there isn’t suffice traffic for 9W to have its own forum.. I’m afraid you will probably end up having few posters posting headlines about 9w and no real discussion taking place..
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:40 pm

I mean if people really wanted to talk about 9W why aren’t they already in the Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific Frequent Flyer Programs currently… The forum is somewhat active but that’s because of other airlines also being part of the forum.. Imo there isn’t suffice traffic for 9W to have its own forum.. I’m afraid you will probably end up having few posters posting headlines about 9w and no real discussion taking place..
The suggestion to go to Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific... borders on mindless, especially because India has her own dynamics and several India-specific options already exist on the web.

You have a correct observation and wrong conclusion: the traffic is light here, but what that shows is not a lack of interest but Ft forums' failure to meet that interest. I can also offer no guarantee that having been MIA for a few years, FT will lure those people here simply by belatedly creating a forum.

For these reasons, while I enthusiastically support a Jet Airways forum, I recognize that perhaps a broader "Airlines of India" forums will make more sense here as a first step.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by aktchi
The suggestion to go to Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific... borders on mindless, especially because India has her own dynamics and several India-specific options already exist on the web.
That's rather insulting. Furthermore, all areas will have their own dynamics. Until such dynamics are demonstrated to be so popular that there is a need for such a separate forum, there's no justification for creation of such a forum.

You have a correct observation and wrong conclusion: the traffic is light here, but what that shows is not a lack of interest but Ft forums' failure to meet that interest. I can also offer no guarantee that having been MIA for a few years, FT will lure those people here simply by belatedly creating a forum.
You can offer no proof that they would have been there anyway. You also have no proof that there is a failure to meet anything that cannot be demonstrated, including this mysterious 'interest' you speak of.

Other TalkBoard members may feel differently.
Old Nov 3, 2007, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
That's rather insulting...
This caught me by surprise. What is so insulting about the observation that with great forums dedicated to Indian aviation already in existence, people interested in that discussion would not bother with "Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific..."? To me that's just commonsense. I don't know why, but I am reminded of your own words: if someone chooses to take umbrage at that, then that's his choice.

You can offer no proof that they would have been there anyway.
You are right. I can prove what did happen: Indian air travel took off, lots of people wanted information, were interested in discussions, went to forums they found. However, I can not prove what might or might not have happened, that people would have come here if we had offered them a forum. There is no proof ever of what might have happened on the road we did not take. Everyone has to use their intuition, intellect, and commonsense.
Old Nov 4, 2007, 1:10 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
This caught me by surprise. What is so insulting about the observation that with great forums dedicated to Indian aviation already in existence, people interested in that discussion would not bother with "Other Asian, Australian and South Pacific..."? To me that's just commonsense. I don't know why, but I am reminded of your own words: if someone chooses to take umbrage at that, then that's his choice.
"borders on mindless" is rather insulting to the poster who made the suggestion. It's not I who is/may be insulted by your words.

You are right. I can prove what did happen: Indian air travel took off, lots of people wanted information, were interested in discussions, went to forums they found. However, I can not prove what might or might not have happened, that people would have come here if we had offered them a forum. There is no proof ever of what might have happened on the road we did not take. Everyone has to use their intuition, intellect, and commonsense.
Indeed I shall. So will the other TalkBoard members. @:-)
Old Nov 5, 2007, 1:00 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 3M; AA, FB, UA some lower status
Dear FlyerTalk Management:

Please open a Forum for discussion of matters relating specifically to Jat Airways (9W). I believe with their recent entry into the US aviation market, there will be significant traffic in such a forum. As an occasional 9W flyer, I know I would participate.
Old Nov 7, 2007, 10:10 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by indiahoosier
Another vote for Jet to join * Alliance too
I thought that AI was joining *A which would leave 9W with OW.
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Originally Posted by Tom Williams
Dear FlyerTalk Management:

Please open a Forum for discussion of matters relating specifically to Jat Airways (9W). I believe with their recent entry into the US aviation market, there will be significant traffic in such a forum. As an occasional 9W flyer, I know I would participate.
At the moment, we're voting on a possible 'Airlines of India' forum, as announced here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showp...8&postcount=43

While that is on the table, we won't be considering a separate forum for 9W
Old Nov 8, 2007, 4:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by yosithezet
I thought that AI was joining *A which would leave 9W with OW.
AI is joining * Alliance, but I would not necessarily count on 9W finalizing a deal to be a member of OneWorld right around the corner.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.