Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
This thread documents the creation of the new Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO forum from the announcement the vote is open, through the vote and announcement by the Community Director of the new forum's opening. Post-opening discussion is included as well.

The initial forum suggestion thread can be read at Lodging Services forum (such as Airbnb, VRBO, Homeaway, etc)

Non-hotel Lodging Services including Airbnb and VRBO (link)
Print Wikipost

Voting Over, Motion Passed: Creation of a Lodging Services Forum (Including AirBnB)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Non-hotel lodging services is what I would prefer it to be called, even as there are hotel condominiums/hotel-managed condominium units.
I like this very much. (Emphasis mine)

I also very much support that it be located in the Travel & Dining section of FlyerTalk for the reasons outlined by Prospero.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I support this forum creation. I also support it being in the "travel & dining" section of FT.

Non-hotel lodging services is what I would prefer it to be called, even as there are hotel condominiums/hotel-managed condominium units.
Agree with Non-Hotel Lodging Services.

Alternatives could be
"Non-Hotel Lodging,"
"Alternate Lodging Services" or
"Alternative Lodging."

Would it also be a home for Hotels.com or Bookings.com?

Mr. SD and I use both very frequently, and find many options for lodging out in the hinterlands that are a notch above AirBnB's. They are often very small hotels, some of which require the proprietor to meet you with the keys, but a little less "cozy," with less individual management overlays, than an AirBnB.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 10:14 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I support this forum creation. I also support it being in the "travel & dining" section of FT.

Originally Posted by jackal
I like this very much. (Emphasis mine)

I also very much support that it be located in the Travel & Dining section of FlyerTalk for the reasons outlined by Prospero.
These suggestions sound good to me.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

re "Non-hotel lodging services" : (which are not hotel services, but may include units at hotels)

in the case of this one particular forum, i think name is a lot less important than for many other forums
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The proposed forum name and location on FT should have been discussed before anyone made a formal motion. There's also the issue of just what the proposed new forum should encompass.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some of us would consider existence of forum a success
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The proposed forum name and location on FT should have been discussed before anyone made a formal motion. There's also the issue of just what the proposed new forum should encompass.
I agree, but that ship has sailed. Let's make the best of this now and trust that the Community Director will adequately address those issues in time.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:38 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Funny, I didn't notice you making any suggestions as to either or suggesting we wait until this was figured out back when it would have had an impact.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
The topic was raised in the private forum & public forums around October 23rd. All TB members had an opportunity to propose solutions to perceived problems & concerns, but didn't nor indicate when they were going to do so.

If, for example, someone had said I have concerns & I'll offer up some suggested solutions by 'x' date so we can hash them out before motion/voting period/TB ends I would have waited, but that didn't occur. I made the motion based on input up to when I created the motion on Nov 8th.

I mentioned I waffled before doing the motion on M&P vs. T&D & went w/ M&P. But because I thought it could go in T&D I won't have a problem if the CD decides to switch it to there or tweak the name a bit. That always has been her prerogative & one she's done occasionally in the past on TB motions.

Anyway, at this point & moving forward it's just up to the TB members who haven't voted yet to do so by November 25th, whether that be yes/no/abstain. Overall FTers seem to be supportive of the forum & I think it will be of benefit to FT/FTers, so I hope it is approved.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
up to the TB members who haven't voted yet to do so by November 25th, whether that be yes/no/abstain. Overall FTers seem to be supportive of the forum & I think it will be of benefit to FT/FTers, so I hope it is approved.
thanks again SkiAdcock and CMK10 and others who supported
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:18 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Agree with Non-Hotel Lodging Services.

Alternatives could be
"Non-Hotel Lodging,"
"Alternate Lodging Services" or
"Alternative Lodging."
I like either Non-Hotel Lodging Services or Non-Hotel Lodging. Private Lodging Services would be too ambiguous, as is Lodging Services.

Non-Hotel Lodging Services is better if the focus is on large booking platforms like AirBnB rather than mom and pop website offerings.

I plan to vote Yes.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 1:35 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
I would vote yes on the creation of this as well.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:34 am

Programs: BA GfL
Originally Posted by wyvern
It's a much needed forum and I think it would be best positioned in T&D.
^ on both

A few FTers, including myself, are Airbnb hosts as well as frequent guests. I would be happy to participate in this forum.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 5:45 am

Programs: BA, Virgin, HI Priority Card, Hilton Honours, Wyndham
And it is a "Yes" from me.....
Old Nov 15, 2016, 6:01 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond,Bonvoy Platinum,Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade,LH SEN,AZ Gold,VS Elevate Gold
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I support this. I use VRBO a lot to rent and may soon be using it to let and would love to have a place where people gather to talk about their experiences.
I support this IF this is a forum on interaction with the service provider companies - and therefore it should include booking.com, travelocity, trpiadvisor etc., i.e. interaction with the framework through which the lodging is offered.

otherwise, I'll just read the feedback from users, thanks, and the forum would be useless to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.