Forum Suggestion: FT Feedback and General Discussions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 17, 2016, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
CommunityDirector posted this in a dif thread:

"I expect to set up a new forum called "The Suggestion Box" and place it adjacent to CommunityBuzz. It wlll be the place for members to come who have an idea for how to do better what we already do very well."

Cheers.
Print Wikipost

Forum Suggestion: FT Feedback and General Discussions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TB asked leading questions and requested statistics/data/etc

things like forum 'criteria' can be posted without TB 'asking' each time
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have known SanDiego1K for at least a dozen years since we first met; and I know first-hand on a number of occasions that communication with members of FlyerTalk is of paramount importance to her — especially pertaining to the continued improvement of FlyerTalk, which she truly holds dear to her heart.

I personally am not concerned about the future of communications between her and fellow FlyerTalk members once TalkBoard has disbanded.
As a longtime member and Moderator, I agree.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I have known SanDiego1K for at least a dozen years since we first met; and I know first-hand on a number of occasions that communication with members of FlyerTalk is of paramount importance to her — especially pertaining to the continued improvement of FlyerTalk, which she truly holds dear to her heart.

I personally am not concerned about the future of communications between her and fellow FlyerTalk members once TalkBoard has disbanded.
I don't have any issue with TB disbanding as it seemed pointless at this stage of the site's life cycle. And I don't really have an opinion about how to set up a replacement dialogue forum or whatever you want to call it.

But I assume the current CD won't be the CD for eternity, right? I would just throw out there, that it may be worth thinking about the subject of the structure of a member feedback/discussion "mechanism" - to include if there needs to be one - without regard to the particular individual currently inhabiting the CD job. Is there something that would be good to have in place that would help members and site management in this area, regardless of who eventually replaces the current CD? The answer may be "no", but it's worth thinking about the position not the person when thinking of the long term future.

Not to imply IB would intentionally place someone who wasn't of the same high caliber as the current CD, but as anyone who has conducted hiring knows, there are no guarantees. Certainly in my organization if we based organizational growth, structure, planning, and the like solely on the person currently on the job, we would be seen as doing our stakeholders a disservice.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by 84fiero
I don't have any issue with TB disbanding as it seemed pointless at this stage of the site's life cycle. And I don't really have an opinion about how to set up a replacement dialogue forum or whatever you want to call it.

But I assume the current CD won't be the CD for eternity, right? I would just throw out there, that it may be worth thinking about the subject of the structure of a member feedback/discussion "mechanism" - to include if there needs to be one - without regard to the particular individual currently inhabiting the CD job. Is there something that would be good to have in place that would help members and site management in this area, regardless of who eventually replaces the current CD? The answer may be "no", but it's worth thinking about the position not the person when thinking of the long term future.

Not to imply IB would intentionally place someone who wasn't of the same high caliber as the current CD, but as anyone who has conducted hiring knows, there are no guarantees. Certainly in my organization if we based organizational growth, structure, planning, and the like solely on the person currently on the job, we would be seen as doing our stakeholders a disservice.
I agree with you; but I would prefer that SanDiego1K addresses your thoughts directly.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IMO it's very important that FT have a visible mechanism for suggestions from members who aren't moderators. Moreover, such suggestions should be public and not required to be sent to the CD via PM or email, unless of course they involve individuals or moderation issues.
This is the exact reason that I suggested the forum. I would be disappointed if, after TB is disbanded, the only way to have communication with those in charge would be via PM or email.

Originally Posted by Carnarsie
Even now, there is not exactly a groundswell of input opposing the disbanding of TalkBoard.
I don't believe this idea was presented to membership until after the decision was made. Would any input have made a difference? For the record, I oppose the idea simply because an alternative forum for public communication of FT issues was not introduced at the time (and still has not been introduced). For what little traffic it has had, the TB forum was always available and (presumably) monitored by those on TB.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 5:55 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Smaug
I don't believe this idea was presented to membership until after the decision was made. Would any input have made a difference? For the record, I oppose the idea simply because an alternative forum for public communication of FT issues was not introduced at the time (and still has not been introduced). For what little traffic it has had, the TB forum was always available and (presumably) monitored by those on TB.
Well, here is your opportunity for your voice to be heard.

How specifically do you see the forum which you propose? Is it interaction with the community director of FlyerTalk; a committee of FlyerTalk members selected by the community director; representatives of Internet Brands; or a combination thereof which listens to member concerns? What criteria should comprise of an idea to meet in order for it to be considered to pass into becoming a reality? What should the process be once an idea is agreed upon? These are only a few of a number of questions which need to be resolved if a forum is indeed created.

Additionally, are there any other ideas in which you believe that the voice of the membership of FlyerTalk can be effectively and efficiently heard?
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Well, here is your opportunity for your voice to be heard.

How specifically do you see the forum which you propose? Is it interaction with the community director of FlyerTalk; a committee of FlyerTalk members selected by the community director; representatives of Internet Brands; or a combination thereof which listens to member concerns?
The TB which is being disbanded had its own mission:
i. Represent the interests of the FlyerTalk membership at large to the FlyerTalk Host.
ii. Act as a representative body for the FlyerTalk membership.
iii. Serve in an advisory capacity to the FlyerTalk Host.
iv. Provide feedback to the FlyerTalk Host with regard to the management of FlyerTalk.

This forum (which may be closed next month--that is the CD's decision) was the public "sounding board" between the FT community and the TB, who in turn, would send its recommendations to the CD.

I hope that the TB recognizes that this current forum (as stated in its forum subtitle "Discussion of issues for the member-elected TalkBoard") would be considered obsolete after TB disbands. I hope that TB would be motivated to recommended a new forum that would continue the types of discussion previously allowed here.

As for IB, there is already a Technical Support & Feedback forum for technical issues, which are mainly IB's purview.

If the CD were to open up the Technical Support & Feedback forum to allow for other FT-related discussions than just technical issues, then I would be happy.

What criteria should comprise of an idea to meet in order for it to be considered to pass into becoming a reality? What should the process be once an idea is agreed upon? These are only a few of a number of questions which need to be resolved if a forum is indeed created.
At this point, all I am asking for is for open communication to continue. I am not asking to propose a new type of committee structure to replace TB.

Additionally, are there any other ideas in which you believe that the voice of the membership of FlyerTalk can be effectively and efficiently heard?
I proposed my idea. Like I said, I hope the TB (and likewise the CD) would recognize that such a need exists and propose something to continue that open communication that exists here.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

My concern is partly that there's a big difference between a public discussion that is open to all, either to read passively or participate actively, versus behind the scenes one to one communication via PMs and email.

It's easy for long-term friends of the CD and especially moderators to feel that their opinions will continue to be heard, but it's different for (general) members, no matter how active or how long on FT, versus longterm mods.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 14, 2016 at 7:15 pm
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:34 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
It's easy for long-term friends of the CD and especially moderators to feel that their opinions will continue to be heard, but it's different for (general) members, no matter how active or how long on FT, versus longterm mods.
Speaking only for myself I believe you do a disservice to the CD, especially to imply that the CD will only listen to 'friends' or 'mods' & not others.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Speaking only for myself I believe you do a disservice to the CD, especially to imply that the CD will only listen to 'friends' or 'mods' & not others.

Cheers.
If you read my post, it's about perceptions.

FT has been claimed to be and AFAIK is the only major online bulletin board with user input via an elected advisory board. Eliminating TB is a huge and very visible change. It leaves only the IB staff and mods as organized sources of suggestions and other input.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:43 pm

And my perception is that the CD will be open to suggestions from ALL FTers, just as she has been to date

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:54 pm

FT has been claimed to be and AFAIK is the only major online bulletin board with user input via an elected advisory board. Eliminating TB is a huge and very visible change. It leaves only the IB staff and mods as organized sources of suggestions and other input.
Well given TB has had less to do over the years & especially this year, I'm not quite certain eliminating it is as huge a change as you make it out to be Even FTers didn't mention many new ideas this year. However, I have faith that the CD will come up w/ a way to still get input. In fact she responded to the OP w/ the following:

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I appreciate all suggestions on how to most effectively get feedback from members. I have had direct conversation with several people and continue to consider the issue. Lots of great ideas come from members and they are often improved by other members adding their voices.

Some years ago, we had a forum called "suggestions". It was intended for this purpose. It primarily got used for matters that were similar to Technical Issues, so was merged with that forum.

I rather like the name suggested by the OP as that gives greater clarity than simply saying "suggestions".

I'll be looking for ideas that take root and germinate among members.

Carol
Community Director
You have it from the CD's mouth. At no point does she say she'll listen only to friends or mods. There are no black helicopters.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 7:58 pm

Originally Posted by skiadcock
well given tb has had less to do over the years & especially this year, i'm not quite certain eliminating it is as huge a change as you make it out to be even fters didn't mention many new ideas this year. However, i have faith that the cd will come up w/ a way to still get input. In fact she responded to the op w/ the following:

You have it from the cd's mouth. At no point does she say she'll listen only to friends or mods. There are no black helicopters.

Cheers.
perceptions.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:00 pm

perceptions.
And not everyone has the same perceptions Again, no black helicopters.

Cheers.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I suggested something very similar to the OP in the private TalkBoard forum a couple weeks ago. I am confident that our CD will give FT members a forum in which constructive ideas can be put forth and discussed. This forum has shown that good ideas can come from anyone, and they can almost always be improved by discussion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.