Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

Old Nov 6, 2016, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TalkBoard Will Disband 30 November 2016

"Talkboard will be disbanded at the end of November. Many people have faithfully served as Talkboard members. Many good decisions have come from it, and FlyerTalk has been strengthened as a result. However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board. I deeply appreciate all that Talkboard has done over the years. We are a better site thanks to their efforts.

Carol
Community Director"
(See post #4)

In our opinion, the members who have so ably served TalkBoard and the Community over the years deserve our thanks for sharing their interest, time, efforts and varied points of view towad building an ever better FlyerTalk.

Please direct your comments, feedback and discussion regarding this new stage in FlyerTalk's growth and direction in a friendly, respectful FlyerTalk manner here.

JDiver and Moderator2, proud to have been your TalkBoard forum Moderator team
Print Wikipost

No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

Old Nov 4, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Status Free
Arrow No TB Elections: TalkBoard Disbands 30 Nov 2016

If there going to be one or are we dismantling Talk Board?

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 6, 2016 at 7:19 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Nov 4, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Was wondering the same thing.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 1:31 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Community Director is away on FT business at the moment. She will be able to respond appropriately upon her return. Until then, we will close this thread.

Thank you,

TalkBoard Forum Moderation Team (Moderator2, JDiver)
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:20 am
Community Director Emerita

Talkboard will be disbanded at the end of November. Many people have faithfully served as Talkboard members. Many good decisions have come from it, and FlyerTalk has been strengthened as a result. However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board. I deeply appreciate all that Talkboard has done over the years. We are a better site thanks to their efforts.

Carol
Community Director
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:28 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
No more TalkBoard Topics Forum then?

After TalkBoard disbands, what would happen to TalkBoard Topics Forum, starting December 1st, 2016?
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:47 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lin821
After TalkBoard disbands, what would happen to TalkBoard Topics Forum, starting December 1st, 2016?
I would hope some sort of public forum would continue to exist to facilitate open communication to/from those in FT leadership roles.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by Smaug
I would hope some sort of public forum would continue to exist to facilitate open communication to/from those in FT leadership roles.
I would hope so as well. I think there have been some good suggestions for how to improve FT, even in recent years.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
However, FlyerTalk is now a mature board with little activity where Talkboard can engage. It's been increasingly difficult to get members to vote in the Talkboard election. I think that readers are happy to engage in conversations about miles and points but have little interest in the mechanics of the board.
Carol, I believe that despite its very large membership, most posts are made by roughly 3000 people. The rest have either stopped coming here for various reasons or prefer just to read what those 3000 are saying.

Those 3000, who supply the editorial content of the board, without which FT would cease to exist, are interested in the board's mechanics. Earlier TB election numbers showed that.

However, they realize that TB has been effectively neutered. It has no authority beyond recommending to you that new forums be established. The real authority on FT (besides, of course, yourself) is in the hands of the moderators and, like all other members, TB is not allowed to discuss moderation much less take any action concerning it.

That is why members no longer bother to vote in TB elections and, indeed, very few are interested in serving on TB. This is a pity as you have these three thousand or so members who are very dedicated to FlyerTalk, tend to be more highly educated and professionally successful than posters on other boards, and could have made substantial contributions to how FT operates if only they were allowed to do so.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Disagree.

I said this before I served on TB & while I served on TB. Most FTers could give two patooties about the admin of FT & come to it for miles/points info only. FWIW & speaking only for myself, I feel the same way re: admin of other BBs I frequent that are not travel-related.

TB's remit hasn't changed over 15 years, so the idea that it's suddenly neutered due to mods is just silly. When I was first elected voting #s were high. TB's remit was the same then as it is several years later. Heck, it was the same really many years ago when you served. The remit hasn't changed. IMO decrease in voting #s and also in topics raised has more to do w/ FT being a mature BB.

Carol's done a great job of promoting TB, elections, etc, but for those who now come to FT or check out elections or TB, they realize that not much is being discussed/considered, primarily because over the last 15 years TB has sorted out a lot of items, re: new forums, post counting, etc.

In the 6 years since I was elected to TB (w/ a mandatory 1 year gap involved, which I voted for btw), the amount of items discussed/voted on has decreased. That's not because FTers or TB don't care; it goes along w/ being a mature bulletin board.

I have faith in the CommunityDirector that she'll sort out a way for FTers to suggest ideas, just as I expect TB forum to date to be available even if in an archive format. I've had no conversations w/ the CD re: this, but I have respect for her & her decisions re: making FT a great BB.

Cheers.

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Nov 6, 2016 at 2:06 pm Reason: add the true part about my not caring about other BB's admin...
Old Nov 6, 2016, 3:54 pm
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's nip it in the bud now. There will be no further discussion of moderation. Please contact the Community Director via private message if you have comments on that subject.

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Here's what I posted on the private TalkBoard forum:

I reluctantly agree with Carol's decision. FT is running so smoothly that TalkBoard no longer provides value commensurate with the effort needed to continue it. TalkBoard was part of the reason for FT's continued success in meeting the challenge of the growing popularity of sharing travel tips and of collecting and using miles and points. It's no small feat to maintain the value proposition for users as website traffic grows 10-fold or more.

If any website ever feels the need for a member-elected advisory committee, I doubt they could write a better set of operating rules than we have constructed for TalkBoard and refined over many years. I do hope that sees some re-use somewhere.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to participate on TalkBoard and I hope to continue to help out wherever I can add value. FlyerTalk has given my family and me some incomparable experiences and I enjoy helping others achieve similar results.

One final observation: There is one fundamental reason TalkBoard is no longer needed. That reason is named Carol. We are blessed to have a leader of unparalleled dedication, wisdom, and kindness. TalkBoard was, in essence, a patch to make up for our founder's shortage of time to spend on FT. Carol's diligence has made that patch unnecessary. We are retiring because our job is done.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Disagree.

I said this before I served on TB & while I served on TB. Most FTers could give two patooties about the admin of FT & come to it for miles/points info only. FWIW & speaking only for myself, I feel the same way re: admin of other BBs I frequent that are not travel-related.

TB's remit hasn't changed over 15 years, so the idea that it's suddenly neutered due to mods is just silly. When I was first elected voting #s were high. TB's remit was the same then as it is several years later. Heck, it was the same really many years ago when you served. The remit hasn't changed. IMO decrease in voting #s and also in topics raised has more to do w/ FT being a mature BB.

Carol's done a great job of promoting TB, elections, etc, but for those who now come to FT or check out elections or TB, they realize that not much is being discussed/considered, primarily because over the last 15 years TB has sorted out a lot of items, re: new forums, post counting, etc.

In the 6 years since I was elected to TB (w/ a mandatory 1 year gap involved, which I voted for btw), the amount of items discussed/voted on has decreased. That's not because FTers or TB don't care; it goes along w/ being a mature bulletin board.

I have faith in the CommunityDirector that she'll sort out a way for FTers to suggest ideas, just as I expect TB forum to date to be available even if in an archive format. I've had no conversations w/ the CD re: this, but I have respect for her & her decisions re: making FT a great BB.

Cheers.
I will not comment on moderation.

But it was clear, even when I served on TalkBoard, that the TalkBoard was a group with no teeth, despite being elected by the membership.

The TalkBoard was a place where ANYONE could serve. There are many of us who wish to be involved with the TalkTeam, but for whatever reason aren't deemed worthy.

Apparently now there's no place for we "deplorables" to go now.

C'est la vie. RIP.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:20 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Here's what I posted on the private TalkBoard forum:

I reluctantly agree with Carol's decision. FT is running so smoothly that TalkBoard no longer provides value commensurate with the effort needed to continue it. TalkBoard was part of the reason for FT's continued success in meeting the challenge of the growing popularity of sharing travel tips and of collecting and using miles and points. It's no small feat to maintain the value proposition for users as website traffic grows 10-fold or more.

If any website ever feels the need for a member-elected advisory committee, I doubt they could write a better set of operating rules than we have constructed for TalkBoard and refined over many years. I do hope that sees some re-use somewhere.

I'm glad to have had the opportunity to participate on TalkBoard and I hope to continue to help out wherever I can add value. FlyerTalk has given my family and me some incomparable experiences and I enjoy helping others achieve similar results.

One final observation: There is one fundamental reason TalkBoard is no longer needed. That reason is named Carol. We are blessed to have a leader of unparalleled dedication, wisdom, and kindness. TalkBoard was, in essence, a patch to make up for our founder's shortage of time to spend on FT. Carol's diligence has made that patch unnecessary. We are retiring because our job is done.
Agree
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Disagree.

Cheers.
This is all pretty spot on. Well-written.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
As a TB veteran, I tend to agree with this decision.

In recent years the cumbersome TB Guidelines (that, in fairness, I led the drafting of back in the day) have retarded nimble reactions to the marketplace, and so the process was doing more harm than good.

That said, TB has always served a vital role as a sounding board for FlyerTalk Management. As such, I do hope and expect that Carol will continue to reach out to non-moderator FlyerTalkers for focus groups and sounding boards.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.