Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Post #116 by the Community Director:

"I've no plans to close the forum."

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Print Wikipost

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Drifter48
I just learned of the Smoking Forum. Thank you for keeping it open.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

NOTE, fellow members: the Wikipost at the top of the thread contains the contents of a post from our Community Director, made today:

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.

Carol
Community Director
JDiver, Moderator
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Good news. As a FlyerTalk member since '02 who smoked then but hasn't in several years, I recall how hard it was to find information. Glad to know this forum will keep going for those who want to use it.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 12:32 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis President's Club
Leave it alone

thanks all
Old Sep 14, 2016, 5:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
Since the talkmail has attracted a lot of new participants to this thread, and not everyone will go back an read all posts in the thread, I'll repost what I posted earlier:
Cluttering up more active forums with more wiki and sticky posts isn't all that welcomed by me. A special interest travel section for smoking while traveling is more welcomed by me than a FT shift toward the "search the wiki", "read the sticky", and "this isn't the place for discussion/debate" attitude.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood never-been-a-smoker voice
Old Sep 14, 2016, 6:08 am

why end it? the forum is here to answer as many questions as possible. Non smokers will not open it unless they want to avoid smoke then they info. I agree let it stay
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist

Carol
Community Director
Great news Carol! ^

Sorry tcook052
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Great news Carol! ^

Sorry tcook052
No worries. We're all just sharing our opinions and mine happens to be that not only that are too many forums but there are too many forums with too little traffic. It wasn't an personal thing against smoking at all just identifying it among other forums with barely any traffic. If the Talk Mail drives participation in this forum and raises its profile then it'll get used more and perhaps this thread and this conversation wasn't such a bad thing to have.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 14, 2016 at 12:19 pm
Old Sep 14, 2016, 2:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by tcook052
...too little traffic. ...
48,000 post views in three months ≠ "too little traffic."

But, yes, if the TalkMail article brings more researchers to our little library -- plus the occasional contribution -- that is certainly evidence of a strong forum, that, as Carol says, does not need discussion posts to be successful.

And thank you, Carol, for your helpful comments. ^
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cblaisd

But, yes, if the TalkMail article brings more researchers to our little library -- plus the occasional contribution -- that is certainly evidence of a strong forum, that, as Carol says, does not need discussion posts to be successful.

And thank you, Carol, for your helpful comments. ^
Didn't her post say the forum is a safe haven for discussion?
Old Sep 14, 2016, 3:43 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Yes.

But "discussion" (i.e., post-count) is not required to count the forum a success, given its different purpose and structure.
Old Sep 14, 2016, 9:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by cblaisd
That's a pretty high number unless you are counting all the sticky and threads created more than 3 months ago on page one. Actual views of new posts & threads made within the last 3 months would be a fraction of that number.

Last edited by tcook052; Sep 15, 2016 at 12:01 pm
Old Sep 15, 2016, 1:30 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Perhaps high traffic can be generated by instigating the perception that an attack is perpetrated on a select demography (frequent flying smokers in this case), who then rush to defend.

Maybe we need more "it is time to close the ... forum" threads, and hope to get them featured by the owner so every low traffic forum finds it crowd.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 5:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by intuition
Perhaps high traffic can be generated by instigating the perception that an attack is perpetrated on a select demography (frequent flying smokers in this case), who then rush to defend.

Maybe we need more "it is time to close the ... forum" threads, and hope to get them featured by the owner so every low traffic forum finds it crowd.
That is one way to do things.

Sometimes the counts of threads, of posts and/or of post views may be rather misleading in what they may otherwise indicate if unaware of historical context. Examples of this can be found in the way TS&S topics have been dealt with on FT. The numbers may make some think that one part of FT is way more vibrant than another part of FT discussing the same or related topics, and yet an objective analysis based on historical awareness may right that misperception/claim using counts of some sort or another.
Old Sep 15, 2016, 7:04 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Cluttering up more active forums with more wiki and sticky posts isn't all that welcomed by me. A special interest travel section for smoking while traveling is more welcomed by me than a FT shift toward the "search the wiki", "read the sticky", and "this isn't the place for discussion/debate" attitude.

Signed,

Your friendly neighborhood never-been-a-smoker voice
Fair enough.

My position is not that smokers shouldn't be allowed to provide and receive information about where they can or cannot smoke. Rather, I think that a wiki could be a better format, but your point about wikis and how they may end up being used is valid.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Sep 15, 2016 at 7:19 am
Old Oct 1, 2016, 1:39 pm

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Thank you, Carol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.