Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 15, 2016, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Post #116 by the Community Director:

"I've no plans to close the forum."

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K

It's great to see new voices in this thread. Some have just learned of the Smoking Forum and hopefully will now use it. For the many reasons listed above:
  1. It's a resource forum that doesn't require give and take conversation to be of value
  2. Smoking has become a negative topic in general. This forum is a safe haven for discussion.
  3. It doesn't take resources from other forums

I've no plans to close the forum.

Carol
Community Director
Print Wikipost

Closing the Smoking Section Forum [Update: it will stay open]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 10:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
So, 500+ posts about a forum nobody is supposed to be interested in. Not bad.
I don't know if 891 total posts in the Smokers Lounge forum and 500+ posts discussing the forum is an indicator of any widespread interest, but at least the forum has more posts than the Antarctica forum.

Last edited by UA1K_no_more; Aug 12, 2016 at 1:54 pm
Old Aug 15, 2016, 4:02 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
So, 500+ posts about a forum nobody is supposed to be interested in. Not bad.
In total, including the original Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section thread, from which the closure discussion has been moved for thread clarity and purpose.

/JDiver, Moderator
Old Aug 18, 2016, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

smokers get harassed a lot in other forums, so there is not really any comparison

i do not recall what was said (in smoking forum threads) re creation of GLBT forum

...there is always room to discuss the basis/rationale/etc of an opinion, including quantitatively

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 18, 2016 at 4:33 pm Reason: Redacted previously deleted post content
Old Aug 18, 2016, 4:37 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Posts that use unwelcoming or offensive characterizations of other FlyerTalk members or use phraseology that states another member's opinion is invalid are clear violations of the Rules: see Abusive Or Disruptive Behavior Or Content (link) and as such will generally be deleted.

"Play the ball, not the player."

JDiver, Moderator
Old Aug 18, 2016, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I find the idea to close a useful forum, even if lightly-trafficed, a very odd one.

A consolidated place for smoking information makes sense and is bound to be small as smoking has gone from vogue to vilified and it is increasingly difficult to find places to smoke in the West.

I suggest that those who wish to remove focus instead on more pressing matters than dismantling something that is useful and has a volunteer moderator who enjoys moderating it.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:16 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I find the idea to close a useful forum, even if lightly-trafficed, a very odd one.

A consolidated place for smoking information makes sense and is bound to be small as smoking has gone from vogue to vilified and it is increasingly difficult to find places to smoke in the West.

I suggest that those who wish to remove focus instead on more pressing matters than dismantling something that is useful and has a volunteer moderator who enjoys moderating it.
Agreed ^ tho one minor data point-there are 2 volunteer moderators who enjoy moderating the Smoking Lounge forum
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
The smoking forum is a source of information for those who need it, and has zero negative effects on those of us who don't. In fact, one could argue that letting the smokers know where smoking is allowed in public accommodations lets them avoid doing so where it would affect the rest of us.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:36 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
My vote is to keep this forum open. Please do not close it.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Another supporter of keeping it open. It is not at all frivolous, and can help travelers in planning layovers, for example.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:35 pm

Programs: Azerbaijan Airlines Gold, Turkish Miles and Smiles, IHG Plat
Please keep it open.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

some who want to close smoking forum want to close other forums as well

there is a philosophical divide - more forums / organization vs less forums

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Aug 19, 2016 at 1:38 pm
Old Aug 21, 2016, 2:36 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
The smoking forum is a source of information for those who need it, and has zero negative effects on those of us who don't.
Exactly! Very well said, Doc Savage. If you are not interested in reading the forum, then don't read it.

The lobbying for the Smoking Lounge to be closed (and the lobbying seems to be coming from very few people) seems to be a classic case of "This doesn't interest me, so I don't want anyone else to have it either". Very childish.

I'm not gay, but I don't object to the LGBT Forum, as I'm sure it provides useful information for those who want it.

I'm also not a woman, but I have no objection to the Women Travelers' forum.

I'm not disabled, etc.

Come on, people. Live and let live.
Old Sep 11, 2016, 3:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

While I am very pleased to read the posts in support of the Smoking Lounge forum, the reality is the forum is flatlining.

One recent thread, migrated in from the UK and Ireland forum contains an enlightened discussion plus very useful datapoints but has not received a single post during its tenure in the Smoking Lounge forum. This indicates three issues: 1) awareness of the smoking lounge forum, or more accurately lack of; 2) an unwillingness by members to post in the forum; 3) that smoking related topics can generate positive engagement and discussion when posted in other forums
Old Sep 11, 2016, 12:23 pm
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
I think a low number of posts does not always tell the whole picture. A forum can be home to a lot of members who currently does not have a lot to discuss.

However, to me this (my bolding)
Originally Posted by Prospero
...My observation of the Smoking Lounge is of a few members who swing by, post a recent hotel or airport data point then make a sharp exit. Consequently the forum is only receiving one way traffic which may explain why questions posted by members sit for weeks without a single answer or even a consolatory response.
is indicative of a forum so sparsely inhabited it does not really work.

Now and then I wander off to a remote part of FT, to learn about a destination new to me or prior to flying/staying in an airline/a hotel or the first time. If I can't find the information I'm looking for, I drop a question to the forum, confident of getting good answers. And I can't remember even once being let down - most forums have an answer for me within hours, many within minutes.

While taking part in FT discussions is good fun, educational, invigorating and/or entertaining I think the ability to get expert answers is a kick-posterior function that sets FT above all else. And for that reason I think densely populated forums are better than sparsely.
Just my two cents.
Old Sep 12, 2016, 10:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
As I noted previously I'm not supportive of closing the smoking forum, as I believe it is a forum where (for reasons Dovster & others have explained upthread) discussions are less apt to happen vs. threads w/ information are available & get a lot of views.

FWIW - I've not seen a groundswell by TB members to close the forum. To me it serves a niche, just as some of our niche forums do.

It also provides a safe forum so if someone does post on a smoking topic they don't get attacked by the non-smokers, as we've seen happen in many forums (probably next to tipping, smoking gets the most vehement & mudslinging posts in forums/takes them sideways).

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.