Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If they did, I would complain bitterly about the closing.

IMHO, it appears that some people have another agenda in wanting it closed, and that shouldn't be how decisions are made.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 11:49 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well I don't have any agenda.

I will say that at this time the support seems to be overwhelmingly in favor of keeping the forum open so I'm not going to move forward with my proposal. I thank everyone for their input.

Last edited by CMK10; Aug 29, 2016 at 12:53 pm Reason: Typo
Old Aug 29, 2016, 4:54 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by tcook052
People who HATE the EMPR forum should run on a platform of closing it and see what happens. Maybe they'll get elected and can carry out their mission.
Has anyone run on a TB platform either of closing down OMNI PR or of opening it up for all FTers? It would be interesting to see what it takes to get increased voter participation when it comes to election of TB.
Old Aug 29, 2016, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Has anyone run on a TB platform either of closing down OMNI PR or of opening it up for all FTers? It would be interesting to see what it takes to get increased voter participation when it comes to election of TB.
It would be wonderful to see all the people vote to close it down who NEVER GO THERE.

Old Aug 29, 2016, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I want to say I think the OMNI/PR comparisons have been a red herring. For one, those threads aren't searchable outside of Flyertalk. They also require criteria for entrance.

And even if they were similar, it's a straw man argument. The purpose of this thread was to discuss EMPR, not all forums people disagree with.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 8:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by CMK10

I think the External Miles and Points Resources Forum reflects very badly on this website. The amount of value it adds is heavily outweighed by the type of conversation it generates. In the last few months there has been back and forth about such rich topics as Ben's (Lucky, One Mile at a Time) sexuality, whether Rene (Rene's Points) needs to add an apostrophe to his blog and conversation about his ignorance in doing so and similar. This is supposed to be a community website and a resource for all things travel. A forum where the conversation is skewed towards mocking and bashing bloggers doesn't seem to add to that. The amount of moderation that has to happen there is staggering. Threads quickly turn into personal attacks among the posters and posts are deleted frequently.
I've read the first page of this thread, so I don't know what's been hashed out.
I haven't read this forum in a while; and every blue moon, I look at the External Miles forum.

That forum is childplay compared to Omni and Omni Politics.

Travel Bloggers are fair game since they're making a living. Posters can say what they wish about them, as long as they're polite.

You want to talk about closing a forum, try Travel and Security. Makes me ashamed to be a Flyertalker.

dh
Old Aug 30, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
I want to say I think the OMNI/PR comparisons have been a red herring. For one, those threads aren't searchable outside of Flyertalk. They also require criteria for entrance.

And even if they were similar, it's a straw man argument. The purpose of this thread was to discuss EMPR, not all forums people disagree with.

It's neither a red herring nor a straw man to suggest that a uniform standard be used in determining whether a forum should be shut down. Under the standard you purported to favor, other forums should be shut down. It is relevant to highlight this; people might not like one forum personally and not mind that it be shut down, but they may not realize that it would set precedent for shutting down other fora.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dhammer53
I've read the first page of this thread, so I don't know what's been hashed out.
I haven't read this forum in a while; and every blue moon, I look at the External Miles forum.

Travel Bloggers are fair game since they're making a living. Posters can say what they wish about them, as long as they're polite.

You want to talk about closing a forum, try Travel and Security. Makes me ashamed to be a Flyertalker.

dh
What's been hashed out is that the vast majority of people want this forum open so it's staying open.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
As for TS&S, I've long said that it is far worse than Omni P/R, far, far worse. If anything is a black eye on FT, it's this forum that is open for the world to see. But it doesn't have the stigma attached to it, so no one says anything about removing it.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 11:38 am

Programs: EXP LTPlat
What's been hashed out is that the vast majority of people want this forum open so it's staying open.
Glad to hear it. I just read the whole thread--should have started with the last page and saved some angst.

I'm one of those who mostly read, ask questions and don't contribute much. Why few contributions? Because it's not my field of expertise. (Now should you have a heart attack on board, I may be of help.) I've been to FTU and Chicago seminars, where I learned that when it came to booking a complex award, I am going straight to an expert. Guess where I went to look for that expert. (Thanks, Matthew, great job.)

An example used earlier--the Alaska/Emirates (or Etihad??) reshuffle--really fits in a discussion of bloggers (and boards like FT) and their effect on "sweet spots". What happened there is not unique to Alaska. One wonders what the discussion on oneworld forum and resultant surge in DONEx fares from CPT had to do with the recent near doubling of that fare.

This forum is like Yelp or Trip Advisor--you just need to learn to read between the lines. And, scm12, I found and subscribed to your blog just the other day as a result of looking for an unrelated particular service. Tremendous value, so you're forgiven for disagreeing with me
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e
As for TS&S, I've long said that it is far worse than Omni P/R, far, far worse. If anything is a black eye on FT, it's this forum that is open for the world to see. But it doesn't have the stigma attached to it, so no one says anything about removing it.
These comments about TS&S are interesting, would you expand on why you think so? Two people have said the same thing now about it so I'm curious.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:55 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Time for a new TB thread?

Originally Posted by Mary2e
These comments about TS&S are interesting, would you expand on why you think so? Two people have said the same thing now about it so I'm curious.
Was I reading it wrong? I thought you had made it clear:

...The purpose of this thread was to discuss EMPR, not all forums people disagree with.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lin821
Was I reading it wrong? I thought you had made it clear:
I'm seeing if it's worth making a new thread over, if there's some solid input I'm going to do so, the OPs are subscribed to this thread already...it seemed the quickest way to achieve the result.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
I enjoy fishing expeditions.
Old Aug 31, 2016, 3:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Many of those threads are still searchable outside of FT. . The point is that I like to see consistency of approach. In the absence of consistency of approach to eliminating forums, I'm opposed to burying EMPR topics.

Originally Posted by dhammer53

dh
There is nothing to be ashamed about the existence of any of these forums. It's like saying one is ashamed of being a citizen of a country just because some small segment of the country commits crimes. Collective guilt? Very much not my thing.

What's more shameful IMO is how opposed some are to open discussions being allowed in open forums on FT even as long as the open discussion follows the same general rules as applicable in the other parts of FT. Consistency of rules and rules application and of forum transparency and openness would do FT proud. Eliminating FT forum topics is my idea of a shameful "solution".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.