Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Old Aug 18, 2016, 8:34 pm
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
EM&PR gets an interesting amount of traffic, probably because of the NY Post / TMZ nature of the topics discussed there.

I know for sure that some are not really happy that posts from the EM&PR forum pop up when the general public researches the respective blog. So for example if a blogger appears in the news people often don't enter the exact url but type the name of the blog into a search engine. Along with the blog they also get some other info about the blog. Which could help them put the info on the blog in perspective. Other than TBBs daily ablutions (which mostly don't link to the blog in question, so often of no interest to search engines) and the occasional semi-journalistic blog entry by another blogger nobody really posts anything on the interweb about these miles & points bloggers who pretend to post information for friends and family.
Old Aug 19, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by oliver2002
EM&PR gets an interesting amount of traffic, probably because of the NY Post / TMZ nature of the topics discussed there.

I know for sure that some are not really happy that posts from the EM&PR forum pop up when the general public researches the respective blog. So for example if a blogger appears in the news people often don't enter the exact url but type the name of the blog into a search engine. Along with the blog they also get some other info about the blog. Which could help them put the info on the blog in perspective. Other than TBBs daily ablutions (which mostly don't link to the blog in question, so often of no interest to search engines) and the occasional semi-journalistic blog entry by another blogger nobody really posts anything on the interweb about these miles & points bloggers who pretend to post information for friends and family.
What blog "pretends" that? Just about every blog brags about the thousands of followers they have. And the small fry really are posting for their friends and family. If even that.

Plenty of good reasons to keep the forum open (as a reference point for outside resources, valid criticism of bloggers, especially the big ones who do claim they're doing it for their "love" of travel--which truly may have originally triggered the blog but which few believe now sustain the bigger fish and the hopes of the smaller, amongst others) but no reason to throw that empty canard on the pile.

Otherwise, you and other prime EM&PR movers and shakers might be accused of just having a bias against bloggers to begin with. And we all know that isn't true.
Old Aug 20, 2016, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by kokonutz
You came up with the metric.
And I have managed to keep my discussion points about the forum in question, not randomly bringing up other fora as distractions from the topic being discussed. Hence the red herring statement.

I have no qualms about the same metrics being used elsewhere but this is not the place for those conversations IMO.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by CMK10
I can imagine some could go to Miles Buzz! But do we need to have a lot of these conversations? Running dialogues about bloggers making spelling mistakes or transgressions they committed years ago? Cui Bono and all.
Thank you for answering. In your interpretation, some EMPR threads/topics belong on FT and some do not (ie. threads that have evolved to reflect poorly on FT membership or have little/no current value to the community).

The most negative/valueless EMPR topics mentioned in this current TB discussion seem to be about Delta Points/Renes Points, VFTW, and OMAAT. If the EMPR forum is closed, would discussion about these specific EMPR sources also be banned from other areas of FT?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
If the EMPR forum is closed, would discussion about these specific EMPR sources also be banned from other areas of FT?
^^
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bhatnasx
^^
I'm hoping this is tongue in cheek, as, to me, it proves the ludicrousness of the proposal: prohibiting discussion of particular travel businesses.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm still wondering when the TB was tasked with recommending the removal of forums it "doesn't like."
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by RichMSN
I'm still wondering when the TB was tasked with recommending the removal of forums it "doesn't like."
To be fair, the TalkBoard's function, if you will, is to recommend to the Community Director any actions that it determines will maximize the quality of information and discussion on the FlyerTalk forums.

If the TalkBoard determines that a particular forum is detracting from that mission--whether it's segregating information in an under-utilized forum that does not have the volume of traffic needed to sustain productive discussion or contributing to a negative quality of discussion, then I don't see how the TalkBoard recommending the closure of a forum is contrary to its function.

I am not yet taking a position in this debate and am keeping my mind open, though I have personally found discussion posted in the EM&PR forum useful in a few instances, although I understand the arguments made by both sides.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 4:42 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by RichMSN
That's a factual misstatement of the reasons I, the OP and TB Vice President, have given for why I think the forum should be closed. I have said it doesn't reflect well on this website and in my opinion the level of value it adds is outweighed by the level of negative discussion it adds. I'm an adult, I don't make decisions based like this on what I like or dislike.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 1:03 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by Moderator2

On a personal opinion basis, I am a daily reader of that forum and a number of the blogs that get heavy FT coverage. I find the forum entertaining, probably because it regularly includes TMZ style posts from FT members I respect and write well. Lucky, Gary, Summer, et al are very public people who have decided to give up their privacy in order to make a living. That is fair game.

I am not a daily reader of that forum. I am not even a yearly reader of the forum. In fact, if it weren't for this thread I wouldn't even know that the forum exists.

The beauty of the "My FlyerTalk" function is that each member can decide for himself what forums interest him and never see any of the other forums (unless, of course, he decides to go to the main page to see what else is happening).

Clearly, from what I have read on this thread, there are FTers who are interested in the External Miles forum so why would anyone want to deprive them of it?
Old Aug 24, 2016, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
That's a factual misstatement of the reasons I, the OP and TB Vice President, have given for why I think the forum should be closed. I have said it doesn't reflect well on this website and in my opinion the level of value it adds is outweighed by the level of negative discussion it adds. I'm an adult, I don't make decisions based like this on what I like or dislike.
I hope you recognize that the tone of a post like this is what makes many of us feel that the suggestion to shut down EMPR oozes condescension and pedantry. Ironically, posts like this are what inevitably lead to the worst of EMPR.
Of course, many adults make decisions based on what they like or dislike. It would be foolish not to.

Trying to tease the content out of your response, I'm not sure how that forum "reflects" on "the website". Most people are sufficiently sophisticated to recognize that the opinions expressed in a Web forum are the opinions of individual posters, not "the website." Who are you worried about reflecting to? The impression of advertisers? Or the bloggers themselves who seem to be disproportionately active in this thread seeking to shut down a forum that criticizes bloggers. (Imagine if Hilton PR weighed in vociferously on why the Hilton forum should be closed because they didn't like the tone people used critiquing their hotels.)
Imposing your values of what posts "reflect well" on the website is so subjective that it is not a workable standard. Do posts by people asking relatively ignorant questions "reflect well" on the website? Beats me. How about posts about what's in someone's beer fridge? Or about smoking in airports?

There's a conversation about strippers and night clubs in Puerto Vallarta going on in the LGBT forum now. What sayeth you? Does that reflect well?

Plenty of people here have made clear that they see value, even people who don't post.

The problem with your charges is you haven't indicated any actual harm other than that you don't like the posts/forum. What value does it actually take away other than being displeasing to you?

Last edited by Adam1222; Aug 24, 2016 at 3:46 pm
Old Aug 24, 2016, 10:42 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
That is a decision based on what one likes or dislikes.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 12:17 pm

I think the EM&PR forum adds some value.

With that said, there are a handful of regular posters there who's life mission (or so it seems like) is to nit-pick on every little 'mistake' that some bloggers make. Lucky/OMAAT gets picked on the most, followed by Gary/VFTW and then Brian/TPG. You know who you are. It actually amazes me how much time these select posters spend nit-picking on the littlest of things every single day.

And to the OP who is concerned about how EM&PR may reflect very badly on the board at large, then perhaps we can consider a similar motion about the OMNI/PR forum too. Sure that forum is restricted to a larger audience, but the point is that the concerns you have raised in your OP can be said about some other forums as well.
Old Aug 27, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

if TB is discussing content, that is up to moderators

getting rid of forum does not get rid of content of forum
Old Aug 27, 2016, 9:01 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
That is a decision based on what one likes or dislikes.
People who HATE the EMPR forum should run on a platform of closing it and see what happens. Maybe they'll get elected and can carry out their mission.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.