Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Closing the External Miles and Points Resources Forum

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:27 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by cblaisd
Perhaps you're right. But I would hope we'd have higher standards of civility and politeness for those are still members of FlyerTalk , even if they don't post often (and can you blame them when attacks and salacious posts and innuendo concerning a member's sexuality are allowed to stand?). In some cases, these members contributed a great deal to the formation of FlyerTalk.

The whole forum is just an excercise in unfettered fecklessness.
I'm fairly certain the sexuality of the blogger in question is thoroughly discussed on his blog. Could you point out some of these "salacious posts and innuendo concerning a member's sexuality"?

And, let's be honest, when was the last time Gary or Ben actually contributed to FT? Sure, they will visit and borrow material for their blogs, but can they really be considered members?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by skunker
...but can they really be considered members?
Yes.

I am not aware of any first- and second-class or current vs. lapsed member status in the FT Rules.

The whole forum is simply a gossip venue which, as the op notes, does FT no credit.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Yes.

I am not aware of any first- and second-class or current vs. lapsed member status in the FT Rules.

The whole forum is simply a gossip venue which, as the op notes, does FT no credit.
So, if Doug Parker, Ed Bastian, and Oscar Munoz all signed up for accounts, would people not be able to criticize their management styles/positions, despite how those affect the airlines and frequent flyer programs? What about the Chase cards forum if Jamie Dimon became a member? What about Amex if Kenneth Chenault became a member? Etc.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
In some cases, these members contributed a great deal to the formation of FlyerTalk.
Note your past tense

Yes, they contributed in the past. Now, it seems like they use FT as a place to get information to compile into their blogs - blogs from which they earn a living. I don't think I see many, if any, continue to contribute. Now they're just doing whatever they can to drive the clicks to their site so they have a chance of earning some credit card referral bonus.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:38 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
So, if Doug Parker, Ed Bastian, and Oscar Munoz all signed up for accounts, would people not be able to criticize their management styles/positions, despite how those affect the airlines and frequent flyer programs? What about the Chase cards forum if Jamie Dimon became a member? What about Amex if Kenneth Chenault became a member? Etc.
Red-herring.

Let's deal with that when they do.

In the meantime we have personal attacks that go untouched on valued members of FT who have contributed much to its growth and reputation.

Let's focus on that.

Originally Posted by Mary2e
Note your past tense

Yes, they contributed in the past. Now, it seems like they use FT as a place to get information to compile into their blogs - blogs from which they earn a living. I don't think I see many, if any, continue to contribute. Now they're just doing whatever they can to drive the clicks to their site so they have a chance of earning some credit card referral bonus.
We'll need to agree to disagree, I hope
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:39 pm

Red-herring.

Let's deal with that when they do.

In the meantime we have personal attacks that go untouched on valued members of FT who have contributed much to its growth and reputation.

Let's focus on that.
Great, let's focus on the these supposed attacks "on valued members of FT" by giving examples.

You are doing a very good job of dismissing counterarguments while continuing to push your own opinion. "You are wrong because I am right!"

One last thought, you said that the TheBOSman's question is a red herring, yet their are employees who are FT members. The VP of Hyatt Gold Passport comes to mind. Is Gold Passport now exempt from criticism since he is member?

Last edited by skunker; Aug 11, 2016 at 12:47 pm
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:55 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I cannot believe the blatant hero worship I'm seeing here.....

I don't see the personal attacks, neither the value these members ad.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:07 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
It would still be perfectly valid to challenge and criticise their management practices/styles/positions et al. Personalised pot shots would be out of bounds though.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Prospero
It would still be perfectly valid to challenge and criticise their management practices/styles/positions et al. Personalised pot shots would be out of bounds though.
Agreed. However, if personal attacks are occurring, the moderating staff should feel empowered to respond. Yet, one of the forum's moderators stated the following:

Originally Posted by oliver2002
You'd be surprised how little moderation I do there. I'm happy to report that AFAIR I have not banned anyone due to posts in EM&PR either, except maybe a few sockpuppets/duplicates. We have the usual mix of strong opinions on either side and a few baiters, no different from what you would see on an airline FFP section.

This topic has been debated in the following thread, but not really come to a conclusion: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...reas-fall.html
This tells me that concerns about the forum being a cesspool of personal attacks are likely unfounded. If it was, oliver2002 would likely have a different response. The only other conclusion from that response (at the risk of discussing moderator actions publicly, but in Talkboard Topics I don't feel it is necessarily out of bounds if done in a topical, productive manner, particularly once the moderator in question has introduced it) is that oliver2002 doesn't see the personal attacks, or has too light a touch. Let me assure you that, both from my personal experience with this moderator as well as my experience elsewhere as a moderator myself, the suppositions in my prior sentence definitely are not true.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by RTW1
I cannot believe the blatant hero worship I'm seeing here.....
That's quite the logical stretch. Rhetorically effective, I suppose, but specious and a logical fallacy.

I don't see the personal attacks, neither the value these members ad.
I'm sorry.

Originally Posted by Prospero
Well-put. Unfortunately, that distinction is not honored in this forum where the whole point sometimes seems to be a place where personalized pot shots will be both tolerated and encouraged.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:24 pm

Well-put. Unfortunately, that distinction is not honored in this forum where the whole point sometimes seems to be a place where personalized pot shots will be both tolerated and encouraged.
Am I on your blocked list? Where are these personal attacks? If EMPR really is overflowing with them it shouldn't be too hard to direct us to a few examples.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:39 pm

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...scussions.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/exter...ns-merged.html

Passim.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:45 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU

I don't see specific 'personalized pot shots.' And you refuse to cite any. I guess it just 'seems to be' but is not in reality.

What I do see is a lot of critique (and often praise!) of content, style, grammar and practices. If you would like, I can provide plenty of specific examples. ^
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AY Plat, LH FTL
I find the forum to be an informative counterpoint to the blogs.

Surely, we can continue to point out misleading information, questionable motivations, and horrific punctuation within the bounds of FT's TOS.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by work2fly
Surely, we can continue to point out misleading information, questionable motivations, and horrific punctuation within the bounds of FT's TOS.
The first and the third, certainly. But always respectfully, civilly, and politely. Not attributes, though, that seem highly honored in this forum, unfortunately.

The second is much trickier and almost inevitably leads to personal attacks on FT members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.