Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Should FlyerTalk move from an elected advisory board to an appointed advisory board?

Should FlyerTalk move from an elected advisory board to an appointed advisory board?

Old Jun 15, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by kokonutz
--- the current CD is far more tolerant of and even sometimes encourages disagreement and outside the box thinkers.
Exactly what I love to see in my people -it encourages/stimulates innovation ^ -though of course one of my potential picks would be way too out of the box for most.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
FTers should be able to disagree, discuss, etc.

It's the personal attacks and sniping at times that seems to be counter productive.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
FTers should be able to disagree, discuss, etc.

It's the personal attacks and sniping at times that seems to be counter productive.
Perfectly stated
Old Jun 16, 2016, 3:58 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Just a thought to throw into the mix. Perhaps a smaller talkboard (e.g. 7) if there is less to do? This would also increase the vote count for the marginal elected talkboard member, if that is considered desirable.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 8:21 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I agree that I am part of the problem with this current TalkBoard. I take it too personally and get angry at some of my fellow members and it has spilled out into the public forum.

But I'm not alone in the blame. There are members who come here and attack us. They're rude and snarky and impossible to please. They complain just to complain and because of the more lax rules, they're allowed to do it. I don't understand why some people act this way, it's not at all productive and helpful but it's definitely contributed to the problems TB is having.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
I agree that I am part of the problem with this current TalkBoard. I take it too personally and get angry at some of my fellow members and it has spilled out into the public forum.

But I'm not alone in the blame. There are members who come here and attack us. They're rude and snarky and impossible to please. They complain just to complain and because of the more lax rules, they're allowed to do it. I don't understand why some people act this way, it's not at all productive and helpful but it's definitely contributed to the problems TB is having.
Thank you for taking responsibility for some of this. However, blaming members seems a bit harsh. If you feel a member is being rude, why not engage with them via PM to find out why, just simply ignore their posts, or if their posts violate the TOS of FT, report the post to the moderators.
Old Jun 16, 2016, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Sounds like I would definitely not enjoy being a member of TB. Glad to be a general member of FT
Old Jun 16, 2016, 7:43 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
No - but if asked would reconsider. Definitely needs women so you and rwoman for a start. Scoow if she would do it - and others. Also ideally needs someone in European time zone IMHO.
You mean like rwoman?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:59 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I also think that TB should move to an appointed board. Voting numbers keep falling and other than a few FTers checking the TB forum, there isn't much discussion (and really, simple matters shouldn't have to take weeks to get approved).
I wouldn't mind being on the appointed board.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 5:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
The real downside of the elimination of TB by way of an appointed board of FT members -- <redacted>-- is that this part of FT Community forum may meet its demise (in some way) and thereafter opportunities to discuss what is good/better for FT may no longer have this public forum on FT open for all general member input too.

That said, unless there is a more healthy rotation in the ranks of the appointed/elected and a shift away from trying to play to the peanut gallery obsessed with "signal to noise" ratio adjustments, then this community is going to stagnate in its utility. And I'm of the opinion that those who are more interested in more democratic and transparent processes are more likely to tolerate a more open channel of communication (necessary for healthier dynamics) to improve this place than people who are on the inside track for special appointments. Rather than eliminating TB, perhaps the easiest way to drive up interest in TB and keep it alive is by empowering it to do things that have not been allowed to it? Of course, if this doesn't happen -- and I don't expect it to happen -- then TB is going to end up being what it has become or even less than what it already is.

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 22, 2016 at 9:33 am
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:28 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I think the TB serves a really important role. It gives the CD a user focus group, a sounding board and management advice. What it no longer does is reflect the will of the community. Both because 'the community' no longer exists site-wide; rather FT is now made up of many mini-communities. But also because with <500 people voting it is clearly not a role many posters care to have representation in.

If Carol and those of us who do care deeply about the management of FT are ok with that, the that's fine.

But if we are missing out on a best practice around this then we ought to think hard about it.
I'd venture to say that most members, to the extent they are aware of TB at all, only know about the fairly small number of threads in this forum about actual or proposed motions - some of which are miniscule matters like an obvious name change to a forum. Which as noted upthread is natural as the site has matured and stabilized.

You've noted that TB still serves important functions not immediately obvious "outside" of it, and I certainly take your word that it does. Maybe if the membership were more aware of that behind-the-scenes work and what it means for the site, there would be some uptick in interest and participation in elections, etc. which would keep some new blood circulating through the board. No, we won't ever have crazy-high participation rates - even real-world elections don't have that - but it could help.

And I don't mean simple descriptions like "it's a good sounding board and set of advisors for the CD". That's all well and good, but what are the positive results and impacts to the site, because of those TB advisory role functions, for example?

I'd add that some of what ends up being alluded to by some TB members in forum posts, or leaked out, regarding the TB inner workings isn't always helpful to its perception...i.e., comments about interpersonal conflict; a "bad apple" or two; superfluous drama. So maybe some positive PR would help.

Or maybe none of it would make a difference to elections and as you said, the site has just grown past the point where there is any meaning in discussing "the community" on FT.

What do other large internet forums do in terms of management and direction of the site?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Rather than eliminating TB, perhaps the easiest way to drive up interest in TB and keep it alive is by empowering it to do things that have not been allowed to it?
Such as?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JDiver
You mean like rwoman?
Of course my mistake. I forgot that rwoman is in European time - actually Zulu
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:38 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You might note some posts referencing moderation have been redacted or wholly deleted. That's because one feature that hasn't changed over the years is that discussion of moderation is not acceptable; it is certainly dilatory and off topic in this thread.

JDiver, Moderator
Old Jun 30, 2016, 3:53 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I think it's time for FlyerTalk to examine this question. Create a nominating process. Or let Carol appoint an advisory group based on her needs and the skill sets she'd like to see brought to an advisory group. Or some hybrid. I've spoken with a few TB alum, and many agree.
Have you heard anything from the Community Director in response to the thread you started? As it hasn't had any new posts in over a week, do you contemplate any further action or is this just another thread, like the one you started last year asking for member input ( http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...-need-one.html ), that isn't going anywhere?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.