Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Old May 1, 2016, 6:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Duke787
How about calling it "General Aviation"?

AFAIK there isn't a dedicated GA thread and most of the things you are talking about here fall under that category out in the non-FT world as is.
To me, the term general aviation means private planes. I think it's a technical term referring to the regulations under which these flights operated versus the rules for scheduled commercial flights. It doesn't include--either in this technical sense or in common use--balloon rides, gliders, etc. and it might or might not include helicopter services, some of which are scheduled commercial flights and seem to require TSA security, but that might be an artifact of using commercial airport terminals.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:38 am

Programs: No airline status whatsoever, Chase URs, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum
Why not? It would make entertaining reading for those of us who are curious about the thoughts of people who take private jets.
Old May 1, 2016, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CMK10
I like this, though maybe General Aviation, Private Jets and other Non-Airline Aviation? In the forum description we can include examples of what it will encompass.
Winner! Love it.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It doesn't include--either in this technical sense or in common use--balloon rides, gliders, etc. and it might or might not include helicopter services, some of which are scheduled commercial flights and seem to require TSA security, but that might be an artifact of using commercial airport terminals.
Incorrect.

Wikipedia has a good definition:

General aviation (GA) is all civil aviation operations other than scheduled air services and non-scheduled air transport operations for remuneration or hire. General aviation flights range from gliders and powered parachutes to corporate business jet flights. The majority of the world's air traffic falls into this category, and most of the world's airports serve general aviation exclusively.

General aviation covers a large range of activities, both commercial and non-commercial, including flying clubs, flight training, agricultural aviation, light aircraft manufacturing and maintenance.
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_aviation)

The technical definition most certainly does include balloons, gliders, and private jets.

BTW, powered parachutes?? We definitely need to add that into the forum description.
Old May 1, 2016, 1:42 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
How about Non-Commercial Aviation?

ETA: I agree that while "General Aviation" is technically correct, it is also confusing for people who are not familiar with the term. I recall even as an early frequent-flyer driving past a "General Aviation" part of an airport and having no idea what it meant.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oenophilist
How about Non-Commercial Aviation?

ETA: I agree that while "General Aviation" is technically correct, it is also confusing for people who are not familiar with the term. I recall even as an early frequent-flyer driving past a "General Aviation" part of an airport and having no idea what it meant.
It's a technically-inaccurate term (since things like flightseeing tours, private jet flights, and charters most definitely do fall under the umbrella of commercial aviation (one must possess a commercial pilot's license to do all three).

That said, it does make certain sense to someone who's not versed in the technical terminology.

However, I think CMK10's proposed title is sufficiently both accurate and clear as to what the forum will entail.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:31 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

I'm going to reverse my opinion, I do think that General Aviation is the most fitting. Also I don't think the title should be too long.
Old May 1, 2016, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
I like this, though maybe General Aviation, Private Jets and other Non-Airline Aviation? In the forum description we can include examples of what it will encompass.
I like this - and think a forum description is a great idea too.
Old May 2, 2016, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by jackal
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
You will find that sites like this take up far less hard disk space than you'd imagine. There are gigs and gigs of free space on most servers that you could host another hundred sites like this on before there'd be any constraint or complaint. In a similar vein, that's how Gmail can boast so much storage space and actually get away with providing it if needed.
It has absolutely nothing to do with hard drive space. It also rarely, if ever, has anything to do with worrying about the infrastructure and whether there will be a moderator willing to take it on (if not, it just becomes moderated by the Senior Moderators).

It has everything to do with what I posted upthread: whether taking the discussion of the proposed topic out of existing places it's discussed and sequestering it in its own, new place will lead to a better quality of discussion. That is what TalkBoard members must be convinced of in order to support a new forum.

That has zero to do with storage space or server capacity or anything else.
Right. I was just clarifying the issue brought up previously (as per below).

Originally Posted by jackal
The topic of "hard drive space" comes up periodically in these threads, but if you read back, I don't think that topic has ever been mentioned by any TalkBoard member as a stumbling block. So it is completely a non-issue.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Originally Posted by mia
Flyertalk isn't a library with finite shelf space.
Well, technically, FlyerTalk is limited to the amount of hard disk drive space — or “shelf” space — available to it

+1 for "General Aviation, Private Jets and other Non-Airline Aviation" as a title, even though it is a little long.
Old May 2, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by MaldivesFreak
"General Aviation, Private Jets and other Non-Airline Aviation" as a title, even though it is a little long.
But it does describe a bit (even before forum description) what it will encompass. I'm leaning towards this as forum title.

Cheers.
Old May 2, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Why not vote the forum into existence first and then select a name?
Old May 2, 2016, 5:43 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by tcook052
The name of a new forum and its description should be as clear as possible as to its purpose from the start for:
  1. FlyerTalk members to post to it
  2. Moderators to know which content should be moved into it, if any
  3. The community director should only have to deal with it once
  4. Promotion purposes — such as an announcement in the TalkMail newsletter
...and those are just four of the reasons off the top of my head...
Old May 2, 2016, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tcook052
It's enough of a process to create and vote on one motion. We prefer to minimize the weeping and gnashing of teeth, and going through the arduous process of creating and voting on two motions does not appeal to us.
Old May 3, 2016, 6:28 pm

+1 on an Alternate Air Travel forum, regardless of name.

I just found this thread having come looking for info on Empty Leg consolidators for private jets.

Just my 2 cents, but I'd fence it off for air travel for the purpose of transit, and exclude air travel for the sake of pleasure. ie. yes to helicopters, but no balloons and gliders (unless there is a commercial transit service I haven't heard about).
Old May 4, 2016, 8:40 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jb510
+1 on an Alternate Air Travel forum, regardless of name.

I just found this thread having come looking for info on Empty Leg consolidators for private jets.
That is good to know. ^ It shows additional demand for the topic.

Originally Posted by jb510
Just my 2 cents, but I'd fence it off for air travel for the purpose of transit, and exclude air travel for the sake of pleasure. ie. yes to helicopters, but no balloons and gliders (unless there is a commercial transit service I haven't heard about).
I don't agree on this point though. Seems like as good a place as any for gliders and zeppelins and such.
Old May 4, 2016, 9:34 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by oenophilist
...I do think that General Aviation is the most fitting. Also I don't think the title should be too long.
Concur on both counts.

Any American who has ever driven to almost any airport has seen a highway sign for "General Aviation." Since most of those folks are going to the airport for purposes related to an airline, I think most folks will think that "General Aviation" means "not airline" -- which pretty well covers what seems to be the general intent. A faq post can explain in more detail, but a title needs to be both pithy and accurate, imo.

Of course we could also structure a forum by Part 91 operations, etc., but that might be a little less intuitive

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.