Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Private Jet Forum discussion ("Other Air Travel..." forum now open)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2016, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oenophilist
In my opinion, if it is unique to a particular airline or destination, then it belongs in that forum. Otherwise, it seems like a good fit for Alternate Air Travel.
so include general threads on VIP/VVIP services at commercial airports?

i will do some more searching
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:03 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
so include general threads on VIP/VVIP services at commercial airports?

i will do some more searching
Well, I included the Signature link because the company is a FBO that operates in general aviation terminals across the globe. If you are talking about VIP services that are typical of (and exclusive to) flying commercial, then it probably still fits in TravelBuzz.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:56 pm

Hi,

I would like to suggest the creation of a new forum section call "Private Jets". With the advent of JetSmarter, as well as several other new programs (e.g. Victor, Cojetage), private jets are now becoming accessible to a broader community of travelers. These flights have already been featured in trip reports, where there has been some active debate on the topic of flying private. The nature of these programs will be of interest to a broader section of the FlyerTalk community.

I think the most appropriate place for this is a general Private Jet category in "Miles and Points" under the "Airlines and Mileage Programs" section. Alternatively, it could be positioned under "Special Interest Travel" in the "Travel & Dining" forum.

Many thanks!
Private Jet forum? .......absolutely.....
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat, MR AMB + (LTT) , Hertz PC, UA Silver, HH Gold
Even though I dont think I could afford it. I would definitely lurk in a private jet forum. And who knows I might pick up a trick that allows me to catch a private jet somewhere.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:00 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I am thinking of proposing a motion — such as this one:
Members of TalkBoard recommend to the Community Director that a forum — to be named Alternate Air Travel — be created, discussing topics which are not covered by commercial aviation — such as private jet travel, charter flights, air taxi services, helicopters and dirigibles within the description of the forum; and that any existing discussions in other forums which pertain to this topic be moved into the new forum once created.
Before it is put forth to an official motion, does anyone have any comments on how to improve it — as well as suggest a better name for this new forum?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 4:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1PMM; JetSmarter; HHonors Gold
No comments other than that it would fall under the "Travel&Dining" category.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Canarsie
I am thinking of proposing a motion — such as this one:Before it is put forth to an official motion, does anyone have any comments on how to improve it — as well as suggest a better name for this new forum?
As I said in the private forum, I think we should first figure out exactly what will and will not be included.

What's written here suggests that a lot of material will be moved from the destination travel fora that pertains to local services, such as charter flights to access particular remote regions or sightseeing helicopter tours, which would seem to contradict the way such issues have been handled here in the past. It might be more logical to put general discussion of these services and any large operators that cross cities/regions in the new forum, but let locally provided services remain in their respective destination fora.

As for the title, I'm glad we're now thinking of it as alternate rather than alternative, but maybe it can be improved. If it evolves to be abbreviated as AAT, that seems OK too.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Apr 28, 2016 at 7:08 pm
Old Apr 28, 2016, 8:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
And as I said in the private forum when you raised the point about defining it (which I agree w/ btw), you posted a list t of possibilities/things to consider. I encouraged you to share them w/ fters - aka, post that post in the public forum to get their input. For whatever reason of your own you've chosen not to do that. No idea why. Unless you're willing to do so, we'll just have to muddle through on our own. It should be noted that canarsie did try to incorporate some of your thoughts w/ his own when he posted above.

Cheers.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 9:17 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
AOPA FORUM will cover it all., for the private flyers, many of us already belong,
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by satman40
AOPA FORUM will cover it all., for the private flyers, many of us already belong,
They may not be jets, but I have to give you props.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, I included the Signature link because the company is a FBO that operates in general aviation terminals across the globe. If you are talking about VIP services that are typical of (and exclusive to) flying commercial, then it probably still fits in TravelBuzz.
what about other VVIP with tarmac transfer between private terminal and plane?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Here's a list we're currently working from in the Private Forum. We're also still open to forum names:

Private jets, owned or leased by the individual or business, with maintenance, etc. often outsourced

Private jet shared ownership programs

General rental of private aircraft, with or without crew provided

Private jet charter programs of major carriers, like DL Private Jets, that might or might not carry FF program miles and elite status

Sports charters, etc.

One time charters for private groups, like the MegaDO flights

Charter flights, often in connection with packaged tours (less common now than previously?)

Helicopters (often airport service, so this would belong in destination fora except for discussion of operators that span regions and general issues, plus sightseeing helicopter flights)

Fixed wing sight seeing flights (belongs in destination fora, except for general issues and any interregional operators)

Balloons (general issues only, with remainder in destination fora)

Gliders (general issues, with remainder in destination fora)

Commercial flights into space, any type of vehicle

Flight schools and flying lessons
Old Apr 29, 2016, 6:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Also exoatmospheric flights on rockets and such, including one-way trips to Mars.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by nsx
Also exoatmospheric flights on rockets and such, including one-way trips to Mars.
In that case, Alternative Air Travel may not be appropriate.

In all seriousness, I rather don't like the name "Alternative Air Travel."

Not only does it look odd to me, but I also don't think it's readily apparent to a new member skimming through the list of forums what exactly the forum's topic is.

Just off the top of my head, a couple other ideas to spur inspiration:

Non-Scheduled Air Travel
Non-Airline Air Travel
Un-Airline Travel?
Un-Travel?

These aren't proposals per se; they're just something to get people thinking about ideas for what we might call the forum...or to make an argument as to why the proposed "Alternative Air Travel" forum does make sense.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
I have no objections to the forum, per se, but would request the following:

1. private air services associated with a specific location should remain in the appropriate destination forum, especially helicopter services such as one might find in Hawaii or Las Vegas.

2. that the forum users of those private jet services associated with existing airlines that have points plans be polled as to whether they would prefer threads associated with those services be located. Example: Should Lufthansa Private Jet services threads be located in the Lufthansa Forum or the private jet forum?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.