TB Followers - Top issues TB should address in 2016? [flame free]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Red face TB Followers - Top issues TB should address in 2016? [flame free]

Hi all,

I know there are some vocal and frequent posters in the TalkBoard forum. I'm asking this out of interest and perhaps to brainstorm a bit.

Issues come and go. Some are revisited periodically with no movement for or against. Others are acted upon and others fade into posting archives.

So, I'm curious, what issues would FTers like to see addressed?

A couple of items that come to mind:

Evaluating active forums - should just thread/post count be the only mechanism? What about number of views? Other metrics?
FT Experience - methods of being inviting to new members while engaging veteran members?

Thanks for your input!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I think it's critical to decide whether TB is relevant to the members anymore, how to reverse the trend in voter turnout, and how to create a more cohesive TB that focuses on how to get things done as much as getting things done.

Based on recent feedback from members, those seem to be topics on people's minds.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Frankly, other than the establishment of new forums (and setting its own internal rules), I don't believe that TalkBoard has the authority to do anything at all.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I think it's critical to decide whether TB is relevant to the members anymore, how to reverse the trend in voter turnout, and how to create a more cohesive TB that focuses on how to get things done as much as getting things done.
I mostly disagree. TB's purpose is to recommend value-improving structural changes to FT. Period. IMHO FT is structured about as well as it can be within the limitations of current software. Fine tuning is just not that interesting to our membership, nor should it be. TB can only make a big impact by convincing IB to implement new capabilities.

IB has done a good job of adding capabilities such as the in-thread Wikis. IB is currently busy on mobile capabilities for FT. After that project is done I'm hoping that TB can promote more new features requiring development.

IMHO if voters are not interested in TB that's good. It's a sign that members are enjoying FT the way it is.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
IMHO if voters are not interested in TB that's good. It's a sign that members are enjoying FT the way it is.
If a town has a municipal council that has absolutely no tasks other than to give the mayor recommendations on a very limited number of issues, very few people will bother voting for its members -- but that does not mean that they like the town the way it is.

I've given this hypothetical situation before, but it is worth repeating: Tomorrow, TalkBoard can vote in favor of establishing a TAP Forum and reject a proposed forum for Air Malta.

What TalkBoard cannot do is decide what will be allowed in the new TAP Forum -- that will be completely up to its moderator(s). Hence, the mods can prohibit any discussion of TAP in the TAP Forum and allow unlimited discussion of Air Malta instead.

I voted for you for TB but not because I felt that you could accomplish anything there, simply because I like you as a person. If moderators were elected, and you ran, I would also vote for you -- but this time feeling that my vote actually meant something.

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: Such discussion is beyond the purview of this forum or TalkBoard
Old Nov 27, 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by Dovster
I've given this hypothetical situation before, but it is worth repeating: Tomorrow, TalkBoard can vote in favor of establishing a TAP Forum and reject a proposed forum for Air Malta.

What TalkBoard cannot do is decide what will be allowed in the new TAP Forum -- that will be completely up to its moderator(s). Hence, the mods can prohibit any discussion of TAP in the TAP Forum and allow unlimited discussion of Air Malta instead.
Not just that, but the Community Director can choose to simply ignore TB's recommendation and just open an Air Malta forum anyway. And close down the TAP forum. In other words, the TalkBoard appears to be toothless and useless.

But that isn't the case. TalkBoard's value is not as much in its ability to execute, but rather in its value to represent. They hold the mandate to represent the users as elected representatives. The Community Director and IB cannot listen to the ideas of every one of the community, nor separate the signal from the noise. The TalkBoard's value is to bring suggestions to the table and evaluate them to improve the experience for everyone. If tweaks are needed to improve the user experience, increase user participation or indeed attract new users, these should originate from TalkBoard if they are doing their job properly.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:08 am Reason: Such discussion is beyond the purview of this forum or TalkBoard
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:04 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

What TalkBoard cannot do is decide what will be allowed in the new TAP Forum -- that will be completely up to its moderator(s). Hence, the mods can prohibit any discussion of TAP in the TAP Forum and allow unlimited discussion of Air Malta instead...
MOST unlikely.

A strong reminder: The appointment or function of moderators, etc. is beyond the purview of TalkBoard and this Forum, and not subjects of discussion here. See the FlyerTalk Rules for further guidance.

18. Discussion Of Moderator Actions Link to this Rule

Moderators value your private views and feedback related to their actions and duties. You may submit appropriate feedback to moderators by private message or e-mail. Do not post comments about moderator decisions or actions, or about the work of moderators, unless a moderator has invited members to post feedback in a particular thread.

Any concerns about the actions of a moderator should be directed exclusively and privately to the Community Director.
Again: If you have suggestions regarding the appointment of moderators, etc. please communicate those directly to the Community Director. Here, such posts will be summarily edited or deleted.

Thank you,

JDiver

Last edited by JDiver; Nov 27, 2015 at 11:57 am
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
[COLOR="Navy"][B]A strong reminder: The appointment or function of moderators, etc. is beyond the purview of TalkBoard and this Forum, and not subjects of discussion here. See the FlyerTalk Rules for further guidance.
The issue being discussed is not what moderators can do (or actually do) but rather the fact that TB's authority is so limited (eg: it cannot limit what will be discussed in the forums it establishes) that there is very little incentive for most FTers to bother voting.

Moreover, as TB is basically limited to establishing forums and setting its own internal rules, fewer and fewer members are even interested in running for it. I don't remember any TB election that had as few candidates as this one did.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Too many
TB Followers - Top issues TB should address in 2016? [flame free]

I think one of the main problems is that people have no idea who or what TB is or does and s name change could help that.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rwoman
FT Experience - methods of being inviting to new members while engaging veteran members?
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm hoping that TB can promote more new features
Originally Posted by B747-437B
The Community Director and IB cannot listen to the ideas of every one of the community, nor separate the signal from the noise. The TalkBoard's value is to bring suggestions to the table and evaluate them to improve the experience for everyone.
as mentioned 4 years ago >

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
How do we turn a newcomer who finds us thru Google search into a contributing member?

What new technologies or structures in the board should we be asking Internet Brands to add in order to keep members coming back to us?
Old Nov 27, 2015, 10:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The issue being discussed is not what moderators can do (or actually do) but rather the fact that TB's authority is so limited (eg: it cannot limit what will be discussed in the forums it establishes) that there is very little incentive for most FTers to bother voting.

Moreover, as TB is basically limited to establishing forums and setting its own internal rules, fewer and fewer members are even interested in running for it. I don't remember any TB election that had as few candidates as this one did.
Indeed, that is the issue. It's a legitimate concern of TalkBoard members and those who participate - and might well participate if they were more aware.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
I mostly disagree. TB's purpose is to recommend value-improving structural changes to FT. Period. IMHO FT is structured about as well as it can be within the limitations of current software. Fine tuning is just not that interesting to our membership, nor should it be. TB can only make a big impact by convincing IB to implement new capabilities.

IB has done a good job of adding capabilities such as the in-thread Wikis. IB is currently busy on mobile capabilities for FT. After that project is done I'm hoping that TB can promote more new features requiring development.

I think this misses some interesting points raised by members by quite a distance. Not to mention, the thinking seems very linear. I think members have made it clear that they aren't enjoying FT the way it is. At least in terms of governance. Hence, I think the questions raised by members ought to be addressed by this year's board.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:32 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
TB's purpose is to recommend value-improving structural changes to FT. Period.
That's only a tiny portion of TalkBoard's responsibility.

SECTION 2: MISSION

A. The FlyerTalk TalkBoard exists to:

i. Represent the interests of the FlyerTalk membership at large to the FlyerTalk Host.
ii. Act as a representative body for the FlyerTalk membership.
iii. Serve in an advisory capacity to the FlyerTalk Host.
iv. Provide feedback to the FlyerTalk Host with regard to the management of FlyerTalk.
B. The TalkBoard accomplishes this by:
i. Prioritizing recommendations on product/service enhancements for FlyerTalk.
ii. Responding to action requests from the FlyerTalk Host for issues/situations that fall outside the scope of established policies, procedures, organization and universe of FlyerTalk’s forums.
iii. Responding to requests from posters with regard to requests for and enquires about enhancements and changes to the structure, organization and universe of FlyerTalk’s forums.
iv. Ensuring on-going feedback between the FlyerTalk Host and its posters.
v. Providing input on and reaction to FlyerTalk upgrades, plug-ins and other changes.
vi. Periodically reviewing FlyerTalk's Terms of Service (TOS) to ensure they best serve and protect FlyerTalk and its posters.
There seems to be a great deal of angst about the reality that TalkBoard is an advisory body lacking the power to enact its decisions without the consent of the Community Director or Internet Brands. This is a trivial distraction, don't let it paralyze you. Your job is to make recommendations, not decisions. If your recommendations are supported by persuasive reasoning and evidence they will be well received by those who make decisions.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mia
That's only a tiny portion of TalkBoard's responsibility.

There seems to be a great deal of angst about the reality that TalkBoard is an advisory body lacking the power to enact its decisions without the consent of the Community Director or Internet Brands. This is a trivial distraction, don't let it paralyze you. Your job is to make recommendations, not decisions. If your recommendations are supported by persuasive reasoning and evidence they will be well received by those who make decisions.
Mia, as someone who served two terms on TB, I can guarantee you that items which were very crucial to the membership were put completely off limits to us. We were told in no uncertain terms that they were not within TB's purview -- we could not even discuss them, much less make recommendations about them.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Mia, as someone who served two terms on TB, I can guarantee you that items which were very crucial to the membership were put completely off limits to us. We were told in no uncertain terms that they were not within TB's purview -- we could not even discuss them, much less make recommendations about them.
Was your TB service during the years when Randy was running FT?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.