Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

TB Followers - Top issues TB should address in 2016? [flame free]

TB Followers - Top issues TB should address in 2016? [flame free]

Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:40 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
The TB can be anything Carol lets it be.

Architects, cheerleaders, a focus group, etc. etc.

As for what to work on: close/consolidate under-performing forums. For example, Travel News is totally redundant to Travel Buzz <ducking>
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As for what to work on: close/consolidate under-performing forums. For example, Travel News is totally redundant to Travel Buzz <ducking>
You forgot the men's forum

Cheers.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 12:47 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by dchristiva
I can see that this TB has little or no interest in trying to advance FT beyond where it stands today. I suspect it's in everyone's best interests if I leave the board rather than try to convince folks of anything they don't want to be convinced of.
Speaking for myself, I completely disagree with that statement.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:07 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in PALMYRA, PA, USA
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You forgot the men's forum

Cheers.
YES, dammit! Why won't the TB get off their lazy arses and create a Mens Travel Forum at long last!
Old Nov 30, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I was asked to copy a post I made in the private TB forum to share with everyone. I think the ideas in that post (other than the idea for TB to have regularly-scheduled meetings) have already been presented in other posts I've made in this thread, but it is an effort to consolidate the ideas. Also, thanks to several members who were the true originators of some of these objectives. Please keep the great ideas coming and let TB know what you want/expect in the coming year(s).

Originally Posted by dchristiva
TB needs to be more transparent and reflect the views of all of our members, not just a small clique. We need to convey who we are and what we are so members understand our role and what we can and cannot do. We need to encourage member participation and do what we can to reverse the trend in TB voting each year. In short, we need to make TB relevant to the membership.

There have been a number of solid, constructive ideas raised by members in a number of threads. We should try to address them. I've also never been a part of a board that doesn't have regularly scheduled meetings with an agenda to discuss. I recommend that we try to change that in an effort to raise creativity and to try to get out in front of various issues.

If we're just going to spend time on forums and making rules that only affect TB, I think we're doing membership a gross disservice. I think the bar should be set higher than just duplicating last year. We accomplished some good things, but clearly membership is focused as much on how things are done as what is done.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 6:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by hhoope01
There are a lot of possibilities that go beyond the normal forum creation/shuttering. Does everyone on the TB have a complete understanding of everything the current vBulletin software can or can't do? If not, maybe TB could ask for either a vBulletin white paper or maybe a demonstration or Q/A session on what is possible. There may well be functionality that FT isn't making full use of. Or maybe the TB might see something where IB could make some improvements or add functionality.
Agreed. However FT software has been so heavily modified over the years that vbulletin documentation is very far from complete. FT does get its share of development and support resources from IB, so we can certainly request consideration of modifications.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
There are a lot of possibilities that go beyond the normal forum creation/shuttering. Does everyone on the TB have a complete understanding of everything the current vBulletin software can or can't do? If not, maybe TB could ask for either a vBulletin white paper or maybe a demonstration or Q/A session on what is possible. There may well be functionality that FT isn't making full use of. Or maybe the TB might see something where IB could make some improvements or add functionality. What about how the forums are structured (i.e. Miles & Points, Airlines and Mileage Programs, etc.). Could a different structure be more beneficial? Some specific forums (i.e. IHG forum) has a sub-forum.
I have asked IBobi to please address this portion of your comment; and I am confident that he will do so.

He offered to me an explanation as to the reason which Internet Brands does not use the current version of the vBulletin bulletin board software to power FlyerTalk.

By the way, for those of you who did not know this: vBulletin was acquired by Internet Brands — the company which currently owns FlyerTalk — several years ago.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:19 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by nsx
Agreed. However FT software has been so heavily modified over the years that vbulletin documentation is very far from complete. FT does get its share of development and support resources from IB, so we can certainly request consideration of modifications.
WRT the software, the VB version that FT runs on is stable and modifiable. There are no plans to "upgrade" the VB version any time soon, because FlyerTalk has been customized well beyond what any VB software can possibly do (see: Wikiposts -- a unique FT creation).

As for future modifications, where there is community support, we can do just about anything within reason.

Paul
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by IBobi
WRT the software, the VB version that FT runs on is stable and modifiable. There are no plans to "upgrade" the VB version any time soon, because FlyerTalk has been customized well beyond what any VB software can possibly do (see: Wikiposts -- a unique FT creation).

As for future modifications, where there is community support, we can do just about anything within reason.

Paul
What took you so long to respond?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 7:54 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Canarsie
What took you so long to respond?
Four minutes is certainly beyond the pale!
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:44 am
Ambassador, New England

Programs: Amtrak, WN RR, Choice
Reply/quote notifications were suggested back in 2013, is this something that is possible to try to implement if it is found to be wanted? There seemed to be pretty solid support in this thread, and while the suggestions for implementation in that thread may not work, is there now a device to do it?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:52 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lo2e
Reply/quote notifications were suggested back in 2013, is this something that is possible to try to implement if it is found to be wanted?
I can't offhand think of a better tool to increase member engagement with the forums.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by nsx
I can't offhand think of a better tool to increase member engagement with the forums.
Not sure I would go that far, but I agree that this could be a big driver of member engagement.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:15 pm
No longer with Internet Brands

Programs: DL DM 1.6MM, Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by lo2e
Reply/quote notifications were suggested back in 2013, is this something that is possible to try to implement if it is found to be wanted? There seemed to be pretty solid support in this thread, and while the suggestions for implementation in that thread may not work, is there now a device to do it?
There's a plugin I believe.

Should be doable. But would require a more high-level discussion among TT and Carol before implementation.

Essentially we need a vetted "yes" before we'd add such wide-ranging functionality to FT.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 1:27 pm

There's a plugin I believe.

Should be doable. But would require a more high-level discussion among TT and Carol before implementation.

Essentially we need a vetted "yes" before we'd add such wide-ranging functionality to FT.
Thank you, Paul.

Would someone like to launch a discussion in this forum to advocate members of TalkBoard considering a motion on this particular topic so that we may review in detail the advantages and disadvantages of such an addition to FlyerTalk?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.