2015 Talkboard election results

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Wow, that's a really low count. Lowest count ever?
Yes, it seems to be, although in the early years Randy apparently didn't announce the numbers.

BTW, there were a total of 1660 votes cast for particular candidates, which means that the average FT member who voted picked approximately 3.55 candidates.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Nov 24, 2015 at 10:04 am Reason: Autocorrect changed FT to FB!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Congrats to the winners ^^
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Aw crap! I just realized I'm about to lose my enormous TB Member PM inbox.

Better get over there and do some pruning!!!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:45 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Aw crap! I just realized I'm about to lose my enormous TB Member PM inbox.

Better get over there and do some pruning!!!
You could also export the content of your private messages to the hard disk drive of your computer three different ways.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:36 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Canarsie
You could also export the content of your private messages to the hard disk drive of your computer three different ways.
Meh, that seems like a lot of work.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:20 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
BTW, there were a total of 1660 votes cast for particular candidates, which means that the average FT member who voted picked approximately 3.55 candidates.
Wow, doesn't FlyerTalk have (advertise) like 600K members? That's even worse than the turn-out in the USA on a non-Presidential election year.

Congrats to everyone. Definitely a "labour of love," and definitely appreciate the efforts of all Talkboard members past, present and future.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 2:15 am

Programs: EBG4Life, EBD, 1MM
Originally Posted by Maluku_Flyer
Wow, that's a really low count. Lowest count ever?
Given the extremely low turn out, perhaps the new TB should set goals to:

(1) Become more relevant to the vast FT population
(2) Consider whether a voting process is useful to elect future TB members

However, I start to wonder if TB has jumped the shark. Btw, I was one of the few who voted.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 9:37 pm

Programs: Too many

Well done to all and agree lowest voting I've seen. It's a shame IB can't make it compulsory for members to vote like an automatic pop up screen when you log in. I really feel more votes across the entire FT would be more relevant rather than people just voting perhaps for names they're familiar with.

Even though I don't know Bruce, I've enjoyed reading his posts and views and wish him well.
Old Nov 28, 2015, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Thanks!

Bruce
Old Nov 28, 2015, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
My thanks to all who ran and to all who served and continue to serve on TalkBoard. Best wishes to those who will be serving on TB this term.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by livious
Given the extremely low turn out, perhaps the new TB should set goals to:

(1) Become more relevant to the vast FT population
(2) Consider whether a voting process is useful to elect future TB members

However, I start to wonder if TB has jumped the shark. Btw, I was one of the few who voted.
I agree BTW I voted
Old Dec 8, 2015, 7:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Jinxy
Well done to all and agree lowest voting I've seen. It's a shame IB can't make it compulsory for members to vote like an automatic pop up screen when you log in. I really feel more votes across the entire FT would be more relevant rather than people just voting perhaps for names they're familiar with.

Even though I don't know Bruce, I've enjoyed reading his posts and views and wish him well.
Can you imagine what the results would / could be? Many would "vote" blindly or select the first five or whatever arbitrarily so they could continue. I doubt more than another handful or two would invest the time necessary to read profiles, platforms, Q&A, etc.

I'm sure TalkBoard will come up with some alternative ideas to compulsory voting.
Old Dec 8, 2015, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
Can you imagine what the results would / could be? Many would "vote" blindly or select the first five or whatever arbitrarily so they could continue. I doubt more than another handful or two would invest the time necessary to read profiles, platforms, Q&A, etc.

I'm sure TalkBoard will come up with some alternative ideas to compulsory voting.
If we randomize the order in which the candidates appear on various individuals' ballots with compulsory voting, we could get a ton of votes and have the results decided by the same genuine voters as now with the total vote numbers the same as now except for the addition of almost the same constant to the number of votes each candidate receives. In percentage terms, the addition of all the compulsory random voters would make the election look extremely close.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 1:47 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If we randomize the order in which the candidates appear on various individuals' ballots with compulsory voting, we could get a ton of votes and have the results decided by the same genuine voters as now with the total vote numbers the same as now except for the addition of almost the same constant to the number of votes each candidate receives. In percentage terms, the addition of all the compulsory random voters would make the election look extremely close.
This is a bad idea. Random noise amongst 10,000 or 100,000 voters who don't care will drown the signal from a few hundred voters who care. Random votes won't be a tie for each candidate, rather the counts will vary considerably by chance.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 9:57 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I would do everything in my power to fight against mandatory elections. This is a travel website, not a totalitarian regime. I'm sorry more people aren't interested in voting but I'm not going to force it on people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.