Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:59 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Originally Posted by Dovster
I would just like to remind smokers to consider what is most important to them when looking for a hotel. If it is collecting points, then make your post in the forum dedicated to your chain. You can certainly ask if there is a hotel in the city you are going to stay in which allows smoking, but points are what you are really seeking.

On the other hand, if getting a smoking room is what is crucial for you, then post in the Smokers Lounge. You can mention your favorite chain(s) but if you are open to staying at any hotel as long as you can smoke your best chance of getting an answer is in the Smokers Lounge.
Post it in the forum where it will get attention. Not here. Dov you know I'm supportive. But posting it here won't get the proper attention it needs. Smokers aren't going to check talkboard. They'll check the forum.

Cheers
It has been
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:30 pm
Community Director Emerita

Carol, would it also be possible to have a site-wide announcement that the new forum has been established?
Done.

Announcement
Old Jul 14, 2015, 1:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Thank you!
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Looks like the description of the Special Interest Travel group needs to be updated on the forum page to include the new forum @:-)
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:24 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by CMK10
Looks like the description of the Special Interest Travel group needs to be updated on the forum page to include the new forum @:-)
Done. Appreciate the heads up.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Done. Appreciate the heads up.
Of course, thank you for being so proactive on getting this forum up and running ^
Old Oct 8, 2015, 4:17 am

Programs: HH Silver
Where there's smoke there's...

...nothing apparently as by my informal count only nine posts in the last month with the last one coming 6 days ago. The forum's biggest proponent hasn't posted in it for almost two months so it seems safe to say the forum has ground almost to a halt in under three months so at what point does TB take a step back and re-evaluate its decision to create this forum?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by tcook052
...nothing apparently as by my informal count only nine posts in the last month with the last one coming 6 days ago. The forum's biggest proponent hasn't posted in it for almost two months so it seems safe to say the forum has ground almost to a halt in under three months so at what point does TB take a step back and re-evaluate its decision to create this forum?
Is it notably more/less traffic than the other similar forums? My approx count below is based on active threads in the past month.

Disability - 13
GLBT - 13
Religious - 6
Travel Health and Fitness - 7
Travel with Children - 7
Travel with Pets - 4
Women Travelers - 8

As these forums tend to fill a niche, based on your criteria, we should consider deleting all of them?

I think that would be a bad idea as they do satisfy various specific interests.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:06 am

A little early isn't it? I might also add that the forum's biggest proponent is currently suspended.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
A little early isn't it?
Early? Do you think the metrics are going to improve in 3 more months? 6 months? A year? If so why?

I might also add that the forum's biggest proponent is currently suspended.
Only recently and not for the preceding 6+ weeks.

Originally Posted by rwoman
As these forums tend to fill a niche, based on your criteria, we should consider deleting all of them?
Yes, I would. The constant refrain in lobbying for a smokers forum was that there wasn't anywhere else to host these discussions which at barely a post a week I think is proof that the opposite is true, that there are others places where these issues can be discussed.

Such is case with the Travel with Pets forum as at a quick glance there are a number of topics on the page one regarding specific airlines including as Aer Lingus, JAL, UA and JetBlue which could fit easily within the individual airline fora and may actually get better answers since more readers see them.

The paradox to me is to deny a SA airline forum citing not enough demand or expected traffic while creating special interest fora which are further from FT's core and then ignoring or exempting their low usage. I'd rather TB be consistent in its approach to forum creation and use the same yardstick for all possible fora.

That is of course just MHO and YMMV.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:16 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

That is of course just MHO and YMMV.
For what it is worth, I believe your humble opinion is valid...

...but I am of the type who would rather have concrete evidence in terms of being against the existence of a forum than just presuppose what could happen without ever giving it a shot. So far, we do have that with the smoking forum; however, I believe it is too early to judge it just yet...

...and I know, the other aforementioned forums have been around for years, why don’t we motion to close them, etcetera. I would consider the closure of those forums with little traffic; but I also agree with rwoman that those forums tend to fill a niche.

Although we could propose the motion ourselves, there is nothing stopping anyone from posting a discussion calling for the closure of any specific forum. Members of TalkBoard already voted to have at least eight forums closed within the past year, which has actually happened.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:05 pm

.The forum's biggest proponent hasn't posted in it for almost two months so it seems safe to say the forum has ground almost to a halt
As that proponent, I can give you very good reasons why I haven't posted in it: I haven't made any trips during that period so I neither needed information about smoking availability nor was I in a position to give information picked up on trips.

However, today I made reservations for a TLV-FCO-VCE trip. Although I had not seen your post, I started three threads -- one talking about a hotelin Venice I found which allows smoking, one asking about smoking in FCO and another asking about smoking in VCE.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I started three threads -- one talking about a hotelin Venice I found which allows smoking, one asking about smoking in FCO and another asking about smoking in VCE.
Where are all the other members that were expected to start new threads here because they were discouraged from posting elsewhere on FT? That was the main selling point of this forum. Different rules were in place for this forum being created than others (there was no listing of threads in other forums to demonstrate demand, for instance - it was basically "build it and they will come" - and the Talk Board president cited this forum's creation as the Talk Board's greatest achievement of the year).

3 new threads so far in October (all by Dovster) - (would be ZERO if you didn't start those 3 today

2 new threads were started in September.

6 new threads were started in August.

Seems like it's getting slower rather than busier. Without your new threads today, we have 8 new threads the last 10 weeks, or less than one thread per week. Is that a mark of a successful forum?

We were told members were discouraged to post on hotel and airline forums. They seem to be discouraged to post in the new forum, too, looking at these numbers.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 6:16 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Just a thought....

While the use may clearly be lighter than some might have thought, on the other hand it's worth remembering -- from the evidence in more than one thread elsewhere -- that each of these threads in the Smoking Forum represent a thread that didn't have to happen and devolve in another forum (to the frustration of both posters and moderators alike).

I.e., the typical course of the typical threads in the Smoking Forum if they had been elsewhere would have gone like this:
  • Does the the Excellentum Hotel in ________ have smoking rooms?
  • Smoking is nasty.
  • Please let me know when you'll be there, so I can avoid it.
  • I just get a balcony room and smoke on the balcony.
  • If I can't get a balcony room, I blow it out the window.
  • You're a terrible cretinous excuse for a person
  • [THREAD LOCKED]

There is a strict no flaming (pun intended) policy in the forum so such discussions don't happen. And they don't distract the posters and moderators in other forums now either because of this forum.

Secondly, I've never quite understood the one-size-fits all quantitative metric as the sole approach to justifying forums. It can be one criterion among others, it seems to me -- including ones like "Does this forum keep the other forums less sullied with threads that inevitably devolve?" or "Is there a niche need that can be filled by such a forum?" or "Is this a resource (with its strict moderation against off-topic flaming) that nobody else is offering?"
Old Oct 9, 2015, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Where are all the other members that were expected to start new threads here because they were discouraged from posting elsewhere on FT?
I do, indeed, wish that more people posted there but the bigger question is are FTers being helped by it? I started those threads about 10 hours ago and each has 80-90 views. Another that I started a few months ago about PRG has 700 views.

The topics are not one which invite many responses. If I ask whether there is smoking allowed anywhere in CDG, all that is really needed is one reply saying if there is and, if so, where. Any other smoker who wants to find out merely has to do a search of the forum to see if the answer has been posted and, if not, then he can start the thread.

If even 20 FTers can get information they want by simply reading a thread -- much less 700 FTers -- it is serving a good purpose, even if the only post in it is the one which began it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.