Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2015, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i know at least one resort in US that had/has pre-embargo cubans
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:39 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Allow me to make a strong case against this forum: by making smoking while traveling even the TEENSIEST bit more convenient this forum could be the difference between a smoking traveler deciding to finally quit because it has gotten so inconvenient or figuring they can still make a go of it with the help of this forum.
My true tale (as opposed to your hypothetical one) is exactly why I STRONGLY support having a smoker's forum.

I used to love to travel. But as years have passed and smoking "regulations" have become largely nonsensical and essentially random I've chosen to cut back on my travel to the point that I only do so once every three years or so.

I have the time, money, points and miles to travel pretty much anywhere/anytime. What I lack is the desire to spend fruitless hours Googling around trying to find up to date information on where I can and can't enjoy my favorite bad habit without disturbing others enjoying theirs. Not to mention trying to sort through conflicting information provided by customer service reps and hotel or rental car websites.

I came to FT for the Credit Card forums and never visit any of the travel forums because none of them address my single largest issue in determining where to vacation, what routes to take to my destination, and what travel brands are interested in serving my needs as a smoking traveler.

tl;dr - Lack of smoking/travel info has led to decreased travelling, not decreased smoking

Personal bias aside, I think one of the idea's biggest detractor's actually makes one of the best arguments for FT to open such a forum-
Originally Posted by tom911
Have you been to many travel sites with dedicated smoking forums, though? I can't think of any I've been to and this topic is entirely new to FT.
The very fact that it would be a near-exclusive forum would bring more traffic and success to FT. Many of us are seeking this info, please provide a central repository of it for us to visit!
Old Jul 4, 2015, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by tcook052
Oppose.
Why?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CNWO4LIFE
Why?
See post #12 for the answer.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

primary focus would be smoking while traveling

moderators would decide what else would be allowed

I don't believe there is enough real demand to warrant forum creation.
not the only factor
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
not the only factor
I never claimed it was.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I never claimed it was.
you have a forum in mind for where discussion should be?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you have a forum in mind for where discussion should be?
In each hotel, car or destination forum.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

so having a smoking master thread in every hotel forum? thats a lot of threads to subscribe to.

how would nonsmoker demand be measured? in terms of nonsmokers being able to see where / how to avoid smoking. i am one of numerous nonsmokers (posting) who would participate from this perspective. it can be problematic when otherwise good hotels book nonsmoking guests into smoking rooms/floors that have lingering odors etc. (as just one example of a travel issue.)

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jul 4, 2015 at 10:50 pm
Old Jul 4, 2015, 10:49 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
In short, you are saying that if I want to spend a few days in the Atlanta area and rent a car, I should search through every hotel and car rental forum as well as the South Destination Forum in the hope that somebody mentioned smoking in hotels and cars in Atlanta.

That is not really a workable solution.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
While the title of the motion to create a smoker's forum appears to have already been set, couldn't it be changed to something like "Smoker's Lounge" with the information subtitle "A place for smokers, and even those who don't, to find information on what hotels, airports, and car rentals still offer smokers a choice." Add the comment about non-flaming those of us who do smoke, unless you use a flameless electric lighter.

bj-21.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dovster
South Destination Forum in the hope that somebody mentioned smoking in hotels and cars in Atlanta. That is not really a workable solution.
5,709 south (is 6th fewest posts in destinations)
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/destinations-704/
relatively few destinations have huge post counts
77,911 UK ireland
69,807 japan
54,590 new york city
51,656 china
37,064 hawaii
35,765 thailand
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sedentary
My true tale (as opposed to your hypothetical one) is exactly why I STRONGLY support having a smoker's forum.

I used to love to travel. But as years have passed and smoking "regulations" have become largely nonsensical and essentially random I've chosen to cut back on my travel to the point that I only do so once every three years or so.

I have the time, money, points and miles to travel pretty much anywhere/anytime. What I lack is the desire to spend fruitless hours Googling around trying to find up to date information on where I can and can't enjoy my favorite bad habit without disturbing others enjoying theirs. Not to mention trying to sort through conflicting information provided by customer service reps and hotel or rental car websites.

I came to FT for the Credit Card forums and never visit any of the travel forums because none of them address my single largest issue in determining where to vacation, what routes to take to my destination, and what travel brands are interested in serving my needs as a smoking traveler.

tl;dr - Lack of smoking/travel info has led to decreased travelling, not decreased smoking

Personal bias aside, I think one of the idea's biggest detractor's actually makes one of the best arguments for FT to open such a forum-

The very fact that it would be a near-exclusive forum would bring more traffic and success to FT. Many of us are seeking this info, please provide a central repository of it for us to visit!
This post pretty much sums it up for me. Allow me to add another true story. Last month, I travelled to Salzburg with my disabled father - who, like me, is a heavy smoker, who simply wants to enjoy his habit in peace. With his limited mobility, it would have been misery for him to be stuck in a non-smoking room. Whilst planning this trip, I spent hours calling hotels on Skype, trying to find a smoking room. Eventually I found a hotel that would upgrade us to a room with a balcony (Holiday Inn, in case anyone is interested). The proposed forum would have been the perfect place to ask the question, potentially saving a lot of hassle.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:37 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by Sedentary

lol, you'd rather smoke than travel. Some addictions are stronger than others, it seems.

I've been bopping around Italy for the last couple weeks and (often to my chagrin) it's a far more smoking-tolerant culture than, say, the U.S. or the UK these days. So maybe the trick is to travel to places like Italy and China where smoking in public is still the norm. A great thread idea for when the new forum gets established.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 7:19 am

Programs: AA, HiltonHHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Calchas
Why not, we have special fora for other special interest groups.

I support this.

I agree. More smokers per capita than other protected classes.

SUPPORT

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.