Reload this Page >

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Old Jul 3, 2015, 12:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by QtownDave

Btw, when is the vote and decision?
"This vote will close on July 15, 2015 , at 6:30AM* EDT or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first."

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CMK10
I was against this idea at first.

What further encouraged me to vote yes is some of the nasty, judgmental posts about the forum...the vitriol expressed here towards people is extremely disappointing and reflects badly on us as a website. I'm glad people who do smoke will have a place they can discuss their issues away from such comments. Frankly, I thought some people were exaggerating at first when they said they needed that, now I see their point.
Originally Posted by bursa
Secondly, it would detract from the overall theme of this site, which really should focus on aviation-related topics. There are other websites out there for smoking-related issues.
i guess you missed all the hotel/destination forums on FT. this is not about smoking. its about smoking while traveling in those hotels/destinations. AND at airports.

as repeatedly mentioned, nonsmokers can use to avoid smoking.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat, IHG Plat., former LH HON (now Silver), Bonvoy Titanium
In favor of it.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Plt, DL PM, UA, HH Gold
In favor of.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:01 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
According to the latest poll released by the Highly Partisan Dovster Institute, of the 9 members of TalkBoard, 8 have posted in in this thread in favor of establishing this forum and the 9th was undecided.

Absent a "July Surprise", like a crazed smoker burning down JFK (nobody would be upset if he torched LGA), these results indicate a very strong possibility of the forum being approved.

Many self-identified smokers who are not on TalkBoard have also posted in favor of establishing it. It is to them that I now turn: It is not sufficient to want this forum or even to read it. It is you who will make it either a success or a failure.

It is crucial that you post information on it when you discover an airport, hotel, car rental agency, outdoor restaurant, etc, that allows smoking. It is actually preferable that you do so before someone asks for help in finding such locations.

Moreover, as the situation is fluid in all these places, it will be important to keep the information up to date. If there is a post saying that the Bates Motel in Tuscon, AZ, allows smoking, but it is over 6 months old, if you stay at Bates please come back and update the thread to say either that Bates has gone non-smoking or that it still offers smoking rooms.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by Dovster
According to the latest poll released by the Highly Partisan Dovster Institute, of the 9 members of TalkBoard, 8 have posted in in this thread in favor of establishing this forum and the 9th was undecided.
It is nice that some have even listened to members and changed their vote.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Which members are we supposed to listen to? The ones in favor or the ones opposed? I'm missing your point.

Bruce
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Dovster

Many self-identified smokers who are not on TalkBoard have also posted in favor of establishing it. It is to them that I now turn: It is not sufficient to want this forum or even to read it. It is you who will make it either a success or a failure.

It is crucial that you post information on it when you discover an airport, hotel, car rental agency, outdoor restaurant, etc, that allows smoking. It is actually preferable that you do so before someone asks for help in finding such locations.

Moreover, as the situation is fluid in all these places, it will be important to keep the information up to date. If there is a post saying that the Bates Motel in Tuscon, AZ, allows smoking, but it is over 6 months old, if you stay at Bates please come back and update the thread to say either that Bates has gone non-smoking or that it still offers smoking rooms.
That is what is going to help make the forum one of value if it passes. Heck, Dovster could be am ambassador in the forum.

Fwiw- and this is a CD call and I'm sure she's already thinking about it. But this forum will need a mod to make sure the should you/shouldn't you conversations get edited or deleted so 're focus can stay on the actual purpose of the forum.

Btw - my father died of lung cancer due to smoking. I can't tell you all how much I hate smoking and how much i wish my ft friends didn't. But just as it was my father's decision to continue smoking,I acknowledge and support the right of my ft friends to do so (even if I wish they didn't). Since they do and since they travel and since finding places to smoke is harder, I support this forum.

I will also say I met Dovster during the Prague Do a few years ago and he was kind enough not to blow smoke in my face, although he might have blown a bit of smoke 're the Used Italian Girlfriend he's always going on about.

Cheers.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Which members are we supposed to listen to? The ones in favor or the ones opposed? I'm missing your point.

Bruce
I can't speak for him, but I think JC was referring to CMK 10's comment that he was originally against the forum but after reading input by FTers he changed his mind. Which is what good TB members do. They don't just make a decision and say sod off after they've made it but are willing to keep an open mind. Fwiw - I think most TB members are willing to do that, but CMK said it was literally the input that caused him to change his mind.

Cheers
Old Jul 3, 2015, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Got it. Thanks!

Bruce
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 pm

Programs: B6/Mosaic/AF/VX/AS Gold Hertz PC HH Dia. AMEX Plat SPG/Marr Gold Nat. EE FPC Plat
+1 For adding it
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:09 pm

Programs: Statusless and proud
Not to be contrary, but I'm against it. I'm not sure what a whole forum would accomplish that which maybe one or two threads couldn't. It's not like there's a lot of nuance to the subject at hand. A quick search of any "Which airports can I smoke at?" thread would probably give you all the information anyone needs.

Chris
Old Jul 3, 2015, 11:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by JayhawkCO
Not to be contrary, but I'm against it. I'm not sure what a whole forum would accomplish that which maybe one or two threads couldn't. It's not like there's a lot of nuance to the subject at hand. A quick search of any "Which airports can I smoke at?" thread would probably give you all the information anyone needs.

Chris
Agreed.
We already have "Smokers' Lounge" and "airports that allow smoking" threads in TravelBuzz.
What exactly is it that can't be accomplished in those threads instead of creating a new forum for a topic that only generates ~60 posts per year in the most popular thread?
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:22 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
We already have "Smokers' Lounge" and "airports that allow smoking" threads in TravelBuzz.
What exactly is it that can't be accomplished in those threads instead of creating a new forum for a topic that only generates ~60 posts per year in the most popular thread?
Uh, no, you don't. "Smokers' Lounge" was locked almost as soon as it was started and the Travel Buzz mods have said they won't re-open it.

As far as "Airports that Allow Smoking" is concerned, it would be completely off topic there to discuss hotels, restaurants, car rental agencies, etc.

Where you can smoke is often a very confusing issue for travelers. For example, in Israel I can smoke on any outdoor railway platform -- but not inside most restaurants (legally, not inside any but some owners in Arab villages allow it). On the other hand, when I visited St Louis I was surprised to find that while I could smoke in restaurants it was forbidden to smoke on an outdoor train platform.

In Florida (at least as of the last time I was there) I could not smoke inside any place that called itself a bar or a restaurant but I could smoke if it deemed itself a "sports bar".

I do want to be able to smoke but I don't want to break the law. It would be very helpful if, before I go to a city for the first time, I could come to this forum and find out where smoking is or is not prohibited.

I do not post in or read the heavy majority of forums on FT. Unless there is a sudden outbreak of peace, it is very unlikely that Emirates is going to start flying out of TLV, so that forum is useless for me. I don't own a pet and my children are in their 30s, so the forums dedicated to those topics don't help me.

In fact, almost all of my posts are in 13 forums and those are the ones I subscribe to and can be found on the "My Flyer Talk" page. The others are basically invisible to me. I am in no way hurt because they exist. In fact, when I was on Talk Board I lead the fight for two of them (Religious Travel and Budget Travel) even though I am not particularly religious nor do I travel on a tight budget). These issues were important for some FlyerTalkers and the fact that they were unimportant for me didn't mean they caused me any problems by existing.

Please tell me what problems a Smokers Forum would cause you -- especially if you do not subscribe to it and thus it doesn't appear on your "My Flyer Talk" page.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 12:53 am

My vote is a resounding NO.

I note that swm61230 and QtownDave obviously try to change the direction of smoking health issues to that of others that eat red meat etc, etc. If I am seated next to them in a restaurant or elsewhere then my health can be affected by their smoking (passive smoke). Where as, if I am eating red meat, it has no affect whatever on their health or any others, only myself. That is assuming there is any health issues in eating the meat in the first instance.

My reason for the NO vote, is that it is of interest to non-smokers in knowing what establishments to avoid that allow smoking (hotels etc.)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.