Reload this Page >

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Voting Ended / Motion Passed: Creation of a Smoking Section

Old Jun 29, 2015, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by tcook052
Can you share the threads where this has occurred or is this more theoretical like the demand for this forum.
I've seen it in various threads, usually hotel discussions where someone talks about smoking in their room or on a balcony, and soon things head downhill. They threads do seem to be few and far between.

Again, as regards demand, who knows? Do FT smokers simply avoid posting these questions, knowing how unpopular and contentious the subject is? I certainly wouldn't have any significant interest in most of those discussions, but then my interest in some of the other niche forums is minimal as well. I don't think a Smokers forum would pull much discussion away from other forums of FT, this probably couldn't have a net negative effect on FT as a whole.

Basically, I don't have strong feelings either way since it won't really affect me. If someone is willing to be a moderator, I guess I'd say why not give it a try? As I mentioned before, such a moderator may need to be firm about summarily deleting unhelpful posts, and it might be a bit of a thankless job. Otherwise the cost is nil.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 8:35 pm

Support!

Background: I'm a non-smoker who used to smoke socially. I'm similar to a "dry drunk," I guess--I find it completely repulsive now.

I think this forum will benefit smokers and non-smokers alike. Smokers would rather be relaxing in a lounge than huddled outside the door when it's freezing cold. Non-smokers would rather not run the gauntlet past them. Smokers would rather stay in hotels where they can smoke freely. Non-smokers would rather not get secondhand smoke drifting in from the balcony below in their "non-smoking" hotel.

Having a place where smokers can share information about where they are welcomed--or at least tolerated--is a win-win.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Smokers are somewhat unique in that, worldwide, their numbers are dwindling as the years go by. They're an ever-shrinking minority.

And if the case can be made that smokers should have a forum for the special circumstances surrounding smoking...then where's the 420 forum?

If anything, the number of legal pot smokers is now on the rise.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Support.

As others have mentioned, it would be nice to be able to share information about smoking areas in airports or smoking/non-smoking hotel rooms. Also, the smoking etiquette varies from country to country (e.g. in some parts of the world offering a cigarette to the person you're talking to is good manners, in the U.S. it would be considered very rude) and users would be able to exchange information about that on this new section.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Smokers are somewhat unique in that, worldwide, their numbers are dwindling as the years go by. They're an ever-shrinking minority.

And if the case can be made that smokers should have a forum for the special circumstances surrounding smoking...then where's the 420 forum?

This forum might be helpful to them, too. I was talking to a hotel GM a couple of weeks ago about their signs saying "No Smoking of Any Substances."
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Yes to creating a smoking section! Lol
Old Jun 29, 2015, 9:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I'm sure that FT will continue to evolve to serve our members!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I'll never visit the forum myself, but I support it for those who choose to discuss the issues with like-minded people.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 10:59 pm

I suspect that as one group dwindles and the other grows, the problems will remain the same, but the players will be different. You'll still have people who want to smoke, and people who don't want to have a hotel room that reeks of it or be exposed to it in passing. I think it would be great if those elements of legal pot use were rolled into the same forum. (I seriously doubt fellow travelers care if someone else's snack is laced with pot.)

In addition to rules prohibiting "all substances," I have no doubt there are, at the very least, AirBNB listings in my area advertising that they are "420 friendly." Probably in yours, too!
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by fwoomp
I suspect that as one group dwindles and the other grows, the problems will remain the same, but the players will be different.
Then the subtitle can be changed to Smoke, Chew, Vape, or Toke.
Old Jun 29, 2015, 11:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
As a non-smoker, I don't support the idea. Making it easier for those who smoke, may effectively puts those who don't in an uncomfortable position. If you 'promote' smoking areas in airports then this could make it more unpleasant for non-smokers who may be sat next to you on an aircraft with the associated smells. Although I understand the forum is intended to make it easier for those who do smoke, there are wider implications that should be considered.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
I oppose it, I can't see that there would be enough traffic to make it a viable forum.

And I certainly hope that if it does go ahead I hope that it isn't given a "cute" name to make it sound glamorous, as per a couple of suggestions that were made in the thread where the forum was mooted (I think that something like The Smokers' Lounge may have been one such, which I would find totally inappropriate).
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I'm very much an anti-smoker but support the idea of this forum. Many hotels and other places have made it more difficult to "just smoke."

As stated, this forum may likely resemble the Traveling with Pets forum - perhaps not the most-trafficked forum but does appeal to a niche within FT.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I oppose it, I can't see that there would be enough traffic to make it a viable forum.
Oppose, for similar reasons as stated above.
Old Jun 30, 2015, 2:46 am

Programs: HH Diamond, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, IHG Gold, Phyllis Court Junior Member
Support, but make sure that there is a community editable wiki or something to collate information.

Information on cigar lounges at hotels around the world would be particularly welcome.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.