Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Add a Minor Amendment process

Moved by nsx and seconded by MSPeconomist:

The TalkBoard Guidelines shall be revised as follows:

Add item 4.B.v.
v. Any TalkBoard member may propose a minor amendment to a motion by posting the text in the voting thread in the private TalkBoard forum and in the public TalkBoard Topics forum more than 48 hours from the vote closing time and before enough yes or no votes have been cast to assure passage or failure of the motion. If the originator of a motion, the seconder, and all Yes voters as of the time the amendment was proposed post in the voting thread their agreement that the amendment is both minor and desirable, and if this occurs at least 48 hours from the vote closing time, the TalkBoard President shall revise the motion and ensure that public notices of the motion are also updated. For the purpose of this paragraph, a minor amendment is a change which does not alter the overall intent of the motion nor raise any new issues for consideration which would otherwise warrant the submission of a new motion.

Modify item 4.C.v.
v. Once a TalkBoard member registers a selection that selection is final, except that a member voting No or Abstain may change that vote within 48 hours after a motion has been modified by minor amendment. The TalkBoard President shall manually adjust the original vote count as necessary. If the possibility of changed votes exists due to a proposed minor amendment, the TalkBoard President shall decide whether to defer public announcement of a "shall not pass" outcome.

Add item 4.D.v. and move current item 4.D.v. to become 4.D.vi.
v. When a minor amendment is approved, the TalkBoard President shall instruct the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary to post the text of the change and a list of the approving TalkBoard members in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.

vi. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum.

This vote will close on June 13, 2015 , at 3:00PM* CST or after all TalkBoard members have registered their vote, whichever comes first.

Per the TalkBoard Guidelines:

A motion shall pass if at least two-thirds of the yes or no votes cast by TalkBoard members are yes and a majority of the total TalkBoard membership votes 'yes' after voting opens 2 days after a site-wide announcement.

The purpose of posting voting topics in the public TalkBoard Topics forum is to solicit member feedback on any motions that are up for a vote and to allow for comments after a vote is made. It is at the sole discretion of the individual TalkBoard members whether they choose to post in the public discussion thread, there being no requirement to do so.

So while there is already a thread and discussion on this general topic and it is safe to assume that TalkBoard members have reviewed that thread, this thread is about this specific motion.

Please feel free to post questions, comments or any other sort of feedback in this thread or the thread from the prevoius motion that failed found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...t-process.html

*will revise exact time once site-wide announcement is made
Old May 28, 2015, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Am I missing something, or is a member who has already voted yes prohibited from changing his/her vote after a "friendly amendment?"
Old May 28, 2015, 9:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Am I missing something, or is a member who has already voted yes prohibited from changing his/her vote after a "friendly amendment?"
Yes, but everyone who has already voted yes must approve the "friendly" amendment. If the amendment would cause a TB member to changehis/her vote from yes to no, then that TB member should refuse to approve the amendment.
Old May 28, 2015, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, but everyone who has already voted yes must approve the "friendly" amendment. If the amendment would cause a TB member to changehis/her vote from yes to no, then that TB member should refuse to approve the amendment.
Ok.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: HH Silver
If the intent is to catch small oversights I don't see this as really necessary given the recently adopted waiting period between site-wide announcement and the opening of TB voting on motions may itself prove helpful in catching minor errors that can be corrected before voting begins.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:32 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by tcook052
If the intent is to catch small oversights I don't see this as really necessary given the recently adopted waiting period between site-wide announcement and the opening of TB voting on motions may itself prove helpful in catching minor errors that can be corrected before voting begins.
If errors are caught before voting begins, this process can still be used. In that case, only the approval of the mover and seconder would be needed. Note that any TB member can propose the amendment as soon as the error is noticed.
Old May 28, 2015, 10:35 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
I still say no to this as TB should take the time, listen to the comments and get the motion right the first time but if something is missed (other than a simple typo), withdraw the motion or have TB members simply vote no to kill the motion and re-do the motion to get it right
Old May 28, 2015, 4:14 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
As I said in the other thread...

Originally Posted by kipper
If TB is going to draft motions in the private forum, then they really should be read, reviewed, and if necessary, revised before they are officially motioned and seconded.
Here's a concept for a well-defined and approved procedure... If it's anything more than fixing a typo, the motion is withdrawn, corrected, and then proposed and seconded again.
Old May 29, 2015, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by goalie
I still say no to this as TB should take the time, listen to the comments and get the motion right the first time but if something is missed (other than a simple typo), withdraw the motion or have TB members simply vote no to kill the motion and re-do the motion to get it right
Agree. The route proposed in the motion is too circuitous. Any motion in its final form should be subjected to a de novo up or down vote.
Old May 29, 2015, 9:58 am

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
If TB is going to draft motions in the private forum, then they really should be read, reviewed, and if necessary, revised before they are officially motioned and seconded.
Here's a concept for a well-defined and approved procedure... If it's anything more than fixing a typo, the motion is withdrawn, corrected, and then proposed and seconded again.
THIS x2!
Old May 29, 2015, 12:08 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by goalie
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Agree. The route proposed in the motion is too circuitous. Any motion in its final form should be subjected to a de novo up or down vote.
I agree with the above three posters.
Old May 29, 2015, 2:28 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
Agree as well

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Old May 30, 2015, 3:55 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I still wonder how TB has time to worry about this stuff. Get it right first time or kill it - that's the best 'Minor Amendment Process' ever.
Old May 30, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by Markie
I still wonder how TB has time to worry about this stuff. Get it right first time or kill it - that's the best 'Minor Amendment Process' ever.
Bolding mine: What a concept, huh?
Old May 30, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
You are correct. But then, the "appearance of a kumbaya moment" will not occur.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.