Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Formalizing a Minor Amendment Process (retry)

Formalizing a Minor Amendment Process (retry)

Old May 22, 2015, 11:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I don't see why the TB president shouldn't make minor changes that do not affect the intention of the motion - such as fixing typos - besides if anyone thinks the TB President as abusing their position they can complain to the Community Director.

Personally I can't really see the point of this. Common sense dictates that typos need to be fixed and that fixing them doesn't change the motion. And if a motion is badly written/wrong it should be withdrawn or voted down. Maybe what is needed is a way of rejecting motions which haven't been properly written?
Bolding mine: This! ^
Old May 22, 2015, 1:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
While I agree that motions should be as well thought-out and carefully proofread as possible, and while I do my best to put that into practice, experience has taught me that minor changes are sometimes needed. I prefer that such changes be handled consistently, under a well-defined and approved procedure. Asking the TalkBoard President to make all these decisions solo can cause bad feelings and is unfair to everyone.

I'm old enough to recall popular objection to the installation of seat belts in cars, and later objection to laws mandating their use. This formal procedure will increase the quality of TalkBoard's output. So I have called for another vote. Doing it now, when another vote is in progress, will avoid cluttering FT with a separate sitewide announcement of the vote.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Does anyone else besides me find the car seat argument a bit silly - ie, seriously, comparing a minor amendment process to something that impacts the public's safety really overstates TB's mandate/influence on FT. Geesh.
Old May 22, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Does anyone else besides me find the car seat argument a bit silly - ie, seriously, comparing a minor amendment process to something that impacts the public's safety really overstates TB's mandate/influence on FT. Geesh.
You are not alone
Old May 22, 2015, 4:51 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
While I agree that motions should be as well thought-out and carefully proofread as possible, and while I do my best to put that into practice, experience has taught me that minor changes are sometimes needed. I prefer that such changes be handled consistently, under a well-defined and approved procedure. Asking the TalkBoard President to make all these decisions solo can cause bad feelings and is unfair to everyone.

I'm old enough to recall popular objection to the installation of seat belts in cars, and later objection to laws mandating their use. This formal procedure will increase the quality of TalkBoard's output. So I have called for another vote. Doing it now, when another vote is in progress, will avoid cluttering FT with a separate sitewide announcement of the vote.
Here's a concept for a well-defined and approved procedure... If it's anything more than fixing a typo, the motion is withdrawn, corrected, and then proposed and seconded again.
Old May 22, 2015, 5:42 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
Here's a concept for a well-defined and approved procedure... If it's anything more than fixing a typo, the motion is withdrawn, corrected, and then proposed and seconded again.
TalkBoard has no formal procedure to withdraw a motion once voting begins. Normally the vote has to run to completion.
Old May 22, 2015, 6:44 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
TalkBoard has no formal procedure to withdraw a motion once voting begins. Normally the vote has to run to completion.
Then perhaps that should be what is implemented.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
In essence, pulling out, prior to conception, or misconception.
Old May 22, 2015, 7:36 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
And people didn't like the seat belt analogy!
Old May 22, 2015, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I really hope that was not a condomnation of the TalkBoard...
Old May 23, 2015, 8:52 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Originally Posted by exilencfc
I don't see why the TB president shouldn't make minor changes that do not affect the intention of the motion - such as fixing typos - besides if anyone thinks the TB President as abusing their position they can complain to the Community Director.

Personally I can't really see the point of this. Common sense dictates that typos need to be fixed and that fixing them doesn't change the motion. And if a motion is badly written/wrong it should be withdrawn or voted down. Maybe what is needed is a way of rejecting motions which haven't been properly written?
There is no power of removal of TalkBoard President.

Fixing minor mistakes in public is better than doing it in private as at least the voting members of FT can see who made the error. However, getting it right first time, seems to be a better way to go.
Old May 23, 2015, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by nsx
This! ^

Originally Posted by Markie
...Fixing minor mistakes in public is better than doing it in private as at least the voting members of FT can see who made the error. However, getting it right first time, seems to be a better way to go.
This! ^
Old May 23, 2015, 12:01 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
But that wastes time. There's no reason to have to start all over again, especially if people have already voted, for a minor change. Why waste days when a simple fix will take care of the issue a lot quicker?

Incidentally, I see this as having an eraser on a pencil. You don't tear up a piece of paper and start writing your whole document again when you misspell a word. Same concept to me.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by CMK10
But that wastes time. There's no reason to have to start all over again, especially if people have already voted, for a minor change. Why waste days when a simple fix will take care of the issue a lot quicker?

Incidentally, I see this as having an eraser on a pencil. You don't tear up a piece of paper and start writing your whole document again when you misspell a word. Same concept to me.
Well, yes and no.

One person's minor change is another person's deal breaker. One person's typo is another person's "this is why I voted the way I did, and wouldn't have otherwise." Who decides what is minor? How much can the "pencil erase" before it is no longer minor? And by the way, before "your time," if a secretary messed up when preparing an important document that was a multi-carbon form set, the entire thing would go into the dustbin, and (s)he would start all over.

I know we all think it should be so obvious. But there is a line somewhere, and that line will not be obvious.
Old May 23, 2015, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

Well, yes and no.

One person's minor change is another person's deal breaker. One person's typo is another person's "this is why I voted the way I did, and wouldn't have otherwise." Who decides what is minor? How much can the "pencil erase" before it is no longer minor? And by the way, before "your time," if a secretary messed up when preparing an important document that was a multi-carbon form set, the entire thing would go into the dustbin, and (s)he would start all over.

I know we all think it should be so obvious. But there is a line somewhere, and that line will not be obvious.
Agreed 100%! ^ and to add that if this motion should pass (which I hope it does not), whatever changes are made, be they a typo or an actual substantive change, they must (n.b. must) be made public before (n.b. before) the change is implemented

And now back to discussing automobile seat belts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.