Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Return Budget Airline forums to Their Prior airline for

Old May 23, 2015, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
"
Voting Ended - Motion Passed:
"Return Budget Airline Forums Back to Their Respective Other Airlines Forums"
(Thread title shortened due to title length limitations.)
"
Print Wikipost

Voting Ended - Motion Passed: Return Budget Airline forums to Their Prior airline for

Old May 27, 2015, 10:43 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Ummmmm.... didn't you make the motion? I would hope you would vote for it.

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Please do!

Your comment alone convinces me further that this motion is worth voting in the affirmative — which I have already done...
Old May 27, 2015, 12:18 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by wharvey
Ummmmm.... didn't you make the motion? I would hope you would vote for it.
It never hurts to reconfirm; and I simply wanted to state my official vote for the record.
Old May 27, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
I am against the consolidation idea into the more generalized forums...but for the idea of consolidating some of the geographic differentiations. LCC's/Budget airlines are a more distinct type and vary greatly from the mainline style competition and deserve their more specific forums. Yes, there is less activity on those boards, but from what I've seen, it's more travel-specific topics, as opposed to the more trivial topics seen elsewhere. Consolidating them into a larger forum would stick those posts in the weeds and make searching for them more cumbersome as searches would return many unnecessary posts which merely mention the airline's name. My view is that they're often grouped together at airports, away from the main airlines (often in their own terminal), so no reason not to keep things that way here too.
Old May 27, 2015, 10:27 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by landgraf13
I am against the consolidation idea into the more generalized forums...but for the idea of consolidating some of the geographic differentiations. LCC's/Budget airlines are a more distinct type and vary greatly from the mainline style competition and deserve their more specific forums. Yes, there is less activity on those boards, but from what I've seen, it's more travel-specific topics, as opposed to the more trivial topics seen elsewhere. Consolidating them into a larger forum would stick those posts in the weeds and make searching for them more cumbersome as searches would return many unnecessary posts which merely mention the airline's name. My view is that they're often grouped together at airports, away from the main airlines (often in their own terminal), so no reason not to keep things that way here too.
I disagree with you. I don't think there's a single Other Airline forum which is heavily or even moderately trafficked. The few threads that will get combined in there will not cause any of this "in the weeds".

I'm also not sure what you mean by "trivial posts".
Old May 28, 2015, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
As Spirit (currently without a forum) and Frontier (currently with a forum) are essentially like-kind ULCCs these days, they should be treated the same. Either eliminate the Frontier forum and fold it into Other; or create a new Spirit forum.
I agree.
Originally Posted by CMK10
Frontier is a strange creature. Even though it is a ULCC, it does still have a Frequent Flyer Program with an elite level. Also, the forum does see a fair amount of traffic. I actually disagree with eliminating F9.
Spirit has a frequent flyer program, too. I'm a member and make great use of it.

Bruce
Old May 28, 2015, 6:56 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I considered this proposal a no-brainer and voted in favor of it.
Old May 28, 2015, 7:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Does the change in thread title signify this motion will pass or is a formal announcement coming?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
It will pass, but voting is incomplete right now.

Bruce
Old May 29, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by tcook052
Does the change in thread title signify this motion will pass or is a formal announcement coming?
A few years ago TB amended the guidelines to post when a motion will pass/fail, but final results are not announced until voting is complete or the voting timeframe ends.

Verbiage something like this:

"In accordance with the guidelines that means we'll announce if a motion has passed or failed once enough yes or no votes have been recorded by TB members, this is the public notice that this motion will pass as it has secured 6 yes votes.

Please note that not all TB members have voted yet, and so a final announcement with who voted yes/no will not be posted until all 9 have voted or the voting period ends."

Normally the preliminary pass/fail announcement is done in the thread itself & the thread title changes when voting is complete. But it's not mandated that the pass/fail has to be in the thread vs. the title.

Cheers.
Old May 29, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Normally the preliminary pass/fail announcement is done in the thread itself & the thread title changes when voting is complete. But it's not mandated that the pass/fail has to be in the thread vs. the title.
Thanks and I thought as much. FWIW I preferred the post announcement vs. the title change but am glad regardless that TB has passed this motion.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 4:19 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I voted yes, but I wish that there had been more discussion before the motion was proposed about whether we should necessarily make this change in all four regions versus perhaps keeping Budget and Other as separate forums in one or two cases. I pointed this out early in the other thread and there were a few comments there to this effect after the motion had been formulated.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:47 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by Motion
(title shortened due to limitations: "Comments Welcome/Voting Underway: Return Budget Airline Forums Back to Their Respective Other Airlines Forums")

Moved by Canarsie and seconded by rwoman:

TalkBoard recommends a motion for the closure of the following forums on FlyerTalk — along with the following respective actions — primarily due to low traffic:
  • Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines, with its content to return to the Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines forum
  • Budget European Airlines, with its content to return to the Other European Airlines
  • Budget Middle East and African Airlines, with its content to return to the Other Middle Eastern and African Airlines forum
  • Budget North and South American Airlines, with its content to return to the Other North and South American Airlines forum

On June 3rd, 2015, Talkboard succeeded to pass 8-1-0:
"Return Budget Airline Forums Back to Their Respective Other Airlines Forums"

Voting Yes: bdschobel, Canarsie, CMK10, jason8612, kokonutz, MSPeconomist, nsx, rwoman
Voting No: dchristiva

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.