Reload this Page >

Proposal to amalgamate the "Budget" and "Other" geographical airline fora

Old May 10, 2015, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

As a TB member suggested this matter be fleshed out in a dedicated thread I've gone ahead and started one as it's something I think TB should be reviewing. It has come up several times in several other threads including:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...forums-15.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...tistics-6.html

but I don't feel has been given its due consideration by TB so perhaps with a dedicated thread it might.

In a nutshell 16 months ago TB voted to create four dedicated geographical "Budget" airline fora arguing as it has frequently in recent years that if it was built discussion would come and while it has in some of these fora it hasn't in all. Specifically the Budget Middle East and African Airlines forum has not seen a single post of any kind on any topic in over 2 months and less than 50 since creation so would suggest the experiment has not gone as predicted and TB should admit it, step up and merge these "Budget" airline forums back into the "Other" airline forum from whence they came.

MHO has always been the more forums are created the more confusion with members it creates as they aren't sure where to post their threads. There is more of an argument to be made for some new forums but to me the "Other" and "Budget" forums are similar enough that eight forums on these is four too many and members would find it easier to place their post if the amalgamation were made and the new combined forum retitled something like "Budget and Other Airlines Middle East & Africa", "Budget and Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines", etc.

For those who would argue a low velocity forum is still useful I'll ask how useful if a no velocity forum? There can be a point below which traffic drops so low that it's of use to nobody and submit that's the case with the Budget Middle East and African Airlines forum. Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines, while busier recorded only 1400 posts over the same period. To put that into some context these two budget forums attracted fewer posts than every destination forum save two: Cuba and the perennial frozen wasteland that is the Antarctica forum.

BTW For those wanting statistics for all fora nsx provided it last Nov. in this post.
Old May 10, 2015, 8:28 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Concur.

The whole budget airlines category just made information on FT harder to find.
Old May 10, 2015, 9:37 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I actually think it's a good idea too, especially as the "Other" forums and the "Budget" Forums are lightly trafficked. Plus in a lot of cases, the lines between the two are getting blurred. I'm in favor of this.
Old May 10, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I've been thinking about whether this has to be all or none. I see the rationale for consolidating MidEast and African but perhaps not all of the regions.
Old May 11, 2015, 7:22 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I've been thinking about whether this has to be all or none. I see the rationale for consolidating MidEast and African but perhaps not all of the regions.
Which do you think should stay open?
Old May 11, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

While not as moribund as Budget Mideast & Africa as noted the Budget Asia & Oz forum isn't that far behind so with two of four Budget forums showing little to no traffic amalgamation of all makes more sense than only some which would leave an uneven forum structure.
Old May 11, 2015, 10:43 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by CMK10
I actually think it's a good idea too, especially as the "Other" forums and the "Budget" Forums are lightly trafficked. Plus in a lot of cases, the lines between the two are getting blurred. I'm in favor of this.
As of now, I am in favor of this proposal as well.

I would like to first see if fellow FlyerTalk members have any ideas which they would like to share pertaining to a possible better solution than simply reverting those four forums back into the original forum from whence they came.

I do agree in general that forums which do not have enough traffic to support them should either be closed or consolidated into another forum.
Old May 15, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Before proceeding to do anything on this, we should post something about the issue in each of the fora that would be affected so that FT members have the opportunity to comment on the proposed changes.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052

For those who would argue a low velocity forum is still useful I'll ask how useful if a no velocity forum? There can be a point below which traffic drops so low that it's of use to nobody and submit that's the case with the Budget Middle East and African Airlines forum. Budget Asian, Australian, and South Pacific Airlines, while busier recorded only 1400 posts over the same period. To put that into some context these two budget forums attracted fewer posts than every destination forum save two: Cuba and the perennial frozen wasteland that is the Antarctica forum.

BTW For those wanting statistics for all fora nsx provided it last Nov. in this post.
I learned recently that forum traffic metrics are an index of forum use, but forum use cannot and should not be the only criterion for whether a forum exists.

FT is primarily a library of information. Any library needs a good cataloging scheme. Some areas will have few "books" but need to exist nonetheless for the sake of orderliness. (Analogy -- which are always tricky -- suppose a library has few books on, say, the raising of ferrets. It makes no sense to simply say, "Well, our library won't have that category anymore and we'll just put any such books in some random place.")

Quantitative metrics never do nor should tell the whole story. And it's hardly a matter of "constituencies" for these or any forum; that's a red herring. Rather, it's a matter of what makes for an orderly informational classification schema (and information is, after all, what FT primarily exists for) + what forums add value and pride to FT no matter their metrics.

Put another way, the question isn't and shouldn't be "what forums are the most/least visited" but "what forums make the most sense from a classification and information-retrieval point of view?"

But, as always, there is more to this proposal than it appears.

In fact, the entire TB has been quiet when FTers have asked them recently to post their thoughts in the appropriate thread re: shutting down forums.

There's no reason to single these particular forums out when ignoring the legitimate questions that have been raised re: other forums. If there was a reason to shut down these forums it should have first been raised in the other thread.

It is curious OP is focusing on these forums rather than others including one that is totally redundant to another forum. There is another forum that deserve his and TB's collective attention long before these.

I can't speak to tcook052 having a history of wanting to shut down forums but there is (imho) a history of pushing things based on what could be (n.b. could be) a personal agenda.

It is a mystery, isn't it? One has to think there is something else at play.

Old May 15, 2015, 12:22 pm

Whew! That was FUN!

But seriously, yes, these forums seem redundant and it sure seems like they ought to be merged.

Before proceeding to do anything on this, we should post something about the issue in each of the fora that would be affected so that FT members have the opportunity to comment on the proposed changes.
On the one hand, I agree, that would be the nice thing to do. OTOH, it may just bring in a small but vocal minority who will, for emotional reasons, want to maintain the status quo redundancy.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Whew! That was FUN!

But seriously, yes, these forums seem redundant and it sure seems like they ought to be merged.

On the one hand, I agree, that would be the nice thing to do. OTOH, it may just bring in a small but vocal minority who will, for emotional reasons, want to maintain the status quo redundancy.
Maybe so, but we should still give them an opportunity to say their thoughts and IMO we have an obligation to listen and consider these opinions before starting to make any decisions.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kokonutz
Given such a notice would be the first post in the Budget Middle East and African Airlines forum in over 2 months that seems highly unlikely.
Old May 15, 2015, 12:53 pm

Maybe so, but we should still give them an opportunity to say their thoughts and IMO we have an obligation to listen and consider these opinions before starting to make any decisions.
Makes sense. Those forums don't have named moderators (perhaps sealing their fate once and for all) so I guess ask a Senior Moderator to post something?
Old May 17, 2015, 7:54 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by tcook052
merge these "Budget" airline forums back into the "Other" airline forum from whence they came.
We could consider that option; or we could consider this option of consolidating all four budget airline forums into one:
Originally Posted by Spiff
True "budget" airlines should be in the same forum. Most don't even have a FFP.
Is there any preference?
Old May 17, 2015, 8:43 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Canarsie
We could consider that option; or we could consider this option of consolidating all four budget airline forums into one:Is there any preference?
Prefer they go back into other/regional airline groupings, even as that would leave me without access to a forum for more airlines.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.