Wiki Posts
Search

Enhancing the FT Flight Connect flight meet-up tool

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
/Mod hat off [community member rôle hat on]

I frequent the AA forum (well, a Moderator should frequent their assigned fora ), where we have a lounge guest - meet up thread is in a similar situation (narrow in scope because it's only one airline and not the FT universe, not particularly user friendly).

I think the two (Flight Connect and Lounge Connect) are related, or I'd feel reluctant to conflate them: though many FTers would not be interested in connecting with other FT members, others are but don't know about Flight Connect and Lounge Connect (not to mention they appear tedious and not easy to use - so very 20th century!)

Their respective fora may or not offer various flavors of meet / connect threads, with or without limitations. We do have quite a few socially oriented members, and likely some who could become more socially involved if we facilitated their doing so.

I'm not very savvy about what is already out there that could be used as a tool for the two Flight and Lounge connect functions, but perhaps one of you is. I'm glad this has been brought up.

[back to work]

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 9, 2016 at 11:44 am
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:36 am

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Take a look at BA97.com... Its got a lot of potential with some major drawbacks.

My brother in law and me are hoping to get started on a Lounge Meet up site either in partnership with BA97 (enhancing it and making it more user friendly) or a completely separate site.

Honestly right now we are just looking for a partner so if FT wants to partner with us that would be amazing.

The idea would be to enable all flyers to post their travel plans via apps like Tripit. and then it automatically updates into the site and connects them to other travelers with overlapping schedules. Taking the guest work and tediousness out of the process.

I think what stops most people from posting or dealing with it is the time and effort it takes to upload flights, check calendars and so forth.

If you have a site that says "hey here who else is in the airport with you" it takes all the work out of it for you and just gives you the benefits.

This is a overlook of what we see as a possibility. And we could easily accomplish this with partnering with Flyertalk using its user database.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
Originally Posted by conklaven
Take a look at BA97.com... Its got a lot of potential with some major drawbacks.

My brother in law and me are hoping to get started on a Lounge Meet up site either in partnership with BA97 (enhancing it and making it more user friendly) or a completely separate site.

Honestly right now we are just looking for a partner so if FT wants to partner with us that would be amazing.

The idea would be to enable all flyers to post their travel plans via apps like Tripit. and then it automatically updates into the site and connects them to other travelers with overlapping schedules. Taking the guest work and tediousness out of the process.

I think what stops most people from posting or dealing with it is the time and effort it takes to upload flights, check calendars and so forth.

If you have a site that says "hey here who else is in the airport with you" it takes all the work out of it for you and just gives you the benefits.

This is a overlook of what we see as a possibility. And we could easily accomplish this with partnering with Flyertalk using its user database.
Doesnt this sound like nextto?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I have tried it once or twice but a little tedious. I gave up. If it were more user friendly I would give it a try again.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: DL, AA PLT, US, HH Gold, BW Diamond, Avis PP, Choice PLT
Originally Posted by benberg2013
Doesnt this sound like nextto?
Never heard of Nextto but just took a quick glance and from what I can tell it tells you who will be on your flight... we are looking more to the time at the airport. Who is in the airport at the same time as you. But the concept sounds similar.

We would also be highlighting the lounge you would be in... Can you guest? are you looking to be guested, are you looking to meet up. The idea is similar but the focus is more to the FT crowd.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:58 pm

Programs: NW, AF, AA, Hilton
Calendar

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Any ideas to improve the connectivity of FlyerTalk members are welcomed by me, intuition. Thank you for providing some valuable and thoughtful input.

I would like to read comments pertaining to further improvement of the flight-connect calendar by other FlyerTalk members, who might be able to add other good ideas and input as well...
Never new that this existed. Well I do now.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AA PLT, DL GM, SPG GLD, Hyatt GLD, SPG GLD
Really appreciate this discussion, I think it could hold a lot of value in creating a stronger FT community. I didn't realize this feature was out there, and certainly intend to use it. For that matter I'm going to register for BA97.com.

My take is that conklaven's offer may be the quick and easy way to a new kickass feature. From my perspective as a traveler and a techie:

1) Yes, privacy. User needs to have control over the degree of info for each itinerary share, with the capacity to override their defaults each time. That said, certain hack vectors need to always default to more privacy. (This isn't a technical issue that would hold a project like this up. It's pretty straightforward).

2) Needs to be automagical, or people still wont use it. Sure, the hardcore will always post their stuff, because it's fun to meet other people (though not on every flight/trip!). But people aren't traveling to find FTers, they've got other priorities. Easy, automagic, hitting someone's API with just a couple clicks to populate all the details. Maybe a couple checkboxes to tighten things down or specify other trip-specific parameters.

3) Definitely should pursue this! It's is a nice add-on to make what might be otherwise be a another mundane trip more fun. It's funny how you meet the people you meet in your life...

Thank for all you do.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
I used this feature religiously in the past when I traveled, although only once did I find a fellow traveler on the same flight. My travel has been curtailed for financial and health reasons but will resume, I hope, sometime in the near future.

One always has the option of whether or not to meet with other members -- respond to someone else if you see a similar itinerary posted, or don't post your own. Privacy issues really come into play only if your name can be derived from your FlyerTalk ID and in many, if most cases, that's not an issue if you don't put in a specific flight. The latter, of course, varies with the route; if you're flying ADD-NRT (a route picked at random; I have no idea whether there are any non-connecting flights there) then it would be pretty easy to guess the actual flight; ORD-LGA, not so easy.

Since I haven't used the tool in a while I went to take a quick look. I didn't find anything particularly onerous about the input, aside from the popup calendars (I'm quite capable of typing a date, thank you very much). Of course, I'm on a computer, not a phone, so that might make a difference.

Along those lines, I keep any travel information in the same calendar as everything else: a free, computer-based system that's not published by any big name in the software industry. I have a mobile phone but not a smartphone (no use for one; I don't need to be connected by phone or via email 24/7) so no need for me to be able to transfer data from another app and no opinion on that.

I'm happy with this tool in its current format. Should I be traveling again I'll use it to see if there's someone the same place I am at the same time; I like having one central location for this information.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
As a DL FFer...

1. Privacy
2. DL changed the SC Membership for DMs to member-only unless paying up to the Exec Membership. So guesting someone it would require a charge.
3. Sometimes I see some get pushy about wanting lounge access...makes me NOT want to guest them in.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:25 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by rwoman
As a DL FFer...
2. DL changed the SC Membership for DMs to member-only unless paying up to the Exec Membership. So guesting someone it would require a charge.
3. Sometimes I see some get pushy about wanting lounge access...makes me NOT want to guest them in.
In other threads you can post you're just available for a meetup. For me when I'm traveling solo it can be fun to meet someone new and chat during my layover. You would have that option too, especially if you acted pushy (which is very disappointing to read).
Old Jun 13, 2016, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Since there seem to be some technical issues w/ enhancing flight connect (which is more IB than TB), I'm going to PM one of the IB staff w/ a heads up to this thread so that they can be aware of the requests, thoughts, and determine how tough it would be to implement it & where it would stand in their list of enhancements for the site.

Cheers.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 9:14 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Since there seem to be some technical issues w/ enhancing flight connect (which is more IB than TB), I'm going to PM one of the IB staff w/ a heads up to this thread so that they can be aware of the requests, thoughts, and determine how tough it would be to implement it & where it would stand in their list of enhancements for the site.
There is now at least one person from Internet Brands who is watching this discussion; so please keep the ideas and thoughts coming.

Thank you.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 10:03 am
Moderator, Finnair
Original Poster

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
What I've said before and others mentioned too, is that to get flightconnect/loungeconnect off the ground, data entry must be easier. It will only work when there is a high number of flights in the database - making data entry easier, or even integrating with another service, is key to achieve that.

One of the steps in my "workflow" is to add all my flights' details to openflights.org, a flight history service with mapping and statistics. (there are several other similar services around, and judging by peoples' signatures a lot of FT'ers use one of them already)

There are two interesting things with openflights:
a) it accepts import from several formats; tripit, flightmemory and plain csv

b) it is an open source project.

Perhaps IB could branch out and set up their own version of openflights, and make use of the import and perhaps the database layout? This could be a short-cut to get flightconnect "integrated" with another service and thus hopefully make it so full of flights you actually can find a match!
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
I don't mind the simple format used on the AA forum, I just don't seem to cross paths with any other FT users. My travel is almost exclusively domestic and on AA (therefore my AC membership). I typically have layovers of a couple of hours and I travel alone so I have the ability to guest 2 at any given time. I would welcome the opportunity to meet other FTers or just a random traveler who wants to get out of the terminal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.