Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Increased Transparency in TB Votes

Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:43 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Other TB members would disagree with the statement that there is no rush to vote.
You are a singular, not a plural.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Agree. I am aware of exactly one TalkBoard member who perceives a rush to vote, and that person's perception is apparently distorted.

Bruce
Old Mar 5, 2015, 2:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by CMK10
I really don't know how else to explain this to you but I'm going to try once again in the only language I can speak.

There is no rush to vote. None. Zero. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Several other current and former TB Members explained this to you the last time you mentioned it, why do you continue to believe in it?
Considering that people voted before waiting for the original OP to chime in on the rental car forum motion, what do you call it? I call it at a minimum, not being bothered to consider what others want.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by Pub24
Too bad this means you didn't wait until the original proposer weighed in again.
Originally Posted by kipper
Considering that people voted before waiting for the original OP to chime in on the rental car forum motion, what do you call it? I call it at a minimum, not being bothered to consider what others want.
If you say so.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kipper
I had considered what many FTers who've posted in the related threads wanted.

Having spent the time going through the various discussions again, I do not think the proposed changes will achieve the desired change. As such, I voted, "No." This is one of those things where I had to look at a forum I rarely use; I didn't really feel one way or the other when the discussion came up.

Do I think a general car rental forum should be introduced? Absolutely.
Could further examination of how to organize the rest be beneficial? Yes, I think it can.

Some think limited traffic should be the sole justification for closing a forum. Just because something is not highly trafficked does not mean it's not useful.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:41 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by rwoman
Just because something is not highly trafficked does not mean it's not useful.
Well said. There is a bias in favor of high velocity discussion forums, but one of FlyerTalk's strengths is it breadth. If a forum is lightly used perhaps we need to do some internal marketing to make members aware of the forum, rather than hovering over the [Delete] button.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
To Rush or not, that is the question...

Originally Posted by CMK10
Other TB members would disagree with the statement that there is no rush to vote.
You are a singular, not a plural.
Originally Posted by bdschobel
Agree. I am aware of exactly one TalkBoard member who perceives a rush to vote, and that person's perception is apparently distorted.
Please keep in mind the public perception on this very issue that triggered a wave of heated discussion back in November 2014 and later a passed motion in this January (with 2 No-votes):

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...s-timelag.html

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by tcook052
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
And I think an internal spat btwn some TB members - whether voting too quickly or waiting to the very end - is being played out publicly and doesn't really add overall to the good of FT.
Completely agree this is simply score settling.
Agreed, I cannot comprehend why this is a public thread. Inasmuch as the outcome of the vote is announced as soon as a majority is made I do not care what the remaining members do or when they do it.
I cannot agree more.

Originally Posted by mia
Originally Posted by rwoman
Just because something is not highly trafficked does not mean it's not useful.
Well said. There is a bias in favor of high velocity discussion forums, but one of FlyerTalk's strengths is it breadth.
So very true.

Our Religious Travelers Forum is a shining example.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mia
If a forum is lightly used perhaps we need to do some internal marketing to make members aware of the forum, rather than hovering over the [Delete] button.
Or not create forums at all until there is sufficient demand and momentum to help ensure new forums are actually used. Why work to create traffic after forum creation when to me it should be there before hand to justify having a dedicated forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Mar 5, 2015 at 8:55 am
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:21 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some people fail to realize that lots of quick changes don't necessarily constitute progress.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Some people fail to realize that lots of quick changes don't necessarily constitute progress.
You keep saying that, so I'll keep reiterating the opposite is true, too.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:29 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052
Or not create forums at all until there is sufficient demand
I disagree. Flyertalk should exhibit leadership, and create areas to host discussion of emerging topics. Where is the harm in hosting a low velocity forum? How much posting activity would you consider sufficient: 1 post per day, 10, 100?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:40 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mia
I disagree. Flyertalk should exhibit leadership, and create areas to host discussion of emerging topics. Where is the harm in hosting a low velocity forum? How much posting activity would you consider sufficient: 1 post per day, 10, 100?
I made a similar point recently using a lot more words in another TBT thread. In many of these cases, it's ultimately a judgment call, but I think it's useful and part of best practice to begin by looking carefully at the data.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 10:55 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I made a similar point recently using a lot more words in another TBT thread. In many of these cases, it's ultimately a judgment call, but I think it's useful and part of best practice to begin by looking carefully at the data.
And I responded in that other thread.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:08 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Where is the harm in hosting a low velocity forum?
What is the benefit of having a multitude of forums many of which may be lightly trafficked? Having so many it not only confuses veteran members but newer ones alike can't be conducive to finding information quickly or easily and may turn off lurkers from joining for fear of misposting.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
In general, I agree with this. I'd like to think TB should be proactive, not reactive. I'm not saying we need to be cutting edge, but I see little harm in trying to get ahead of the curve in certain areas and creating forums and watching how they develop.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.