Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
So now we are talking about an amendment process rather than a friendly amendment process.

Perhaps, and I'm just doing a little exterior box thinking here, the answer is to overhaul the entire way the TB considers motions.

As I pointed out in the private forum, TB operates by a modified form of Roberts Rules of Oder.

In RRoO, here is the basic approach to motions:
motion - second - dicussion - possible amendments - call the question - vote

Here's the basic approach under the TB Guidelines:
discussion - motion - second -vote

Here's what nsx's potential TB Guidelines amendments would create:
discussion - motion - second - voting - potential amendments - more voting/re-voting

While I'm ok (I think) with the nsx approach, perhaps we should take a moment and consider the RRoO approach.

Perhaps we get a motion and a second. Then a mandatory discussion period. Then an opportunity for amendments. THEN the question gets called and the TB votes.

This would allow for:

- greater poster input
- adjustments/amendments to motions through regular order
- plenty of time for everyone to know about and understand a motion before voting even commences

The current process was created by evolution as early talkboards passed along the approach to motions by 'verbal tradition,' and was reduced to paper (our guidelines) when the TalkBoard Guidelines were written.

But there's nothing sacrosanct about the current approach.

The downside of the RRoO approach (and the reason the TB rejected it when the TB Guidelines were drafted) is that it can get time consuming and a bit awkward doing that process online rather than in person (or by teleconference).

Anyway, just an OTB thought. This is a good tinker. But let's think about total overhaul before we tinker.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:49 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
There is really no deficiency with the earlier form that allowed only yes voters plus the 2 originators to propose a friendly amendment. A No voter can always draft an amendment and ask one of those people to propose it. If they don't agree nothing happens. If they agree the friendly amendment process covers it.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
I think it looks good though I would like to see Koko's definition of minor incorporated
Old Mar 16, 2015, 1:43 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Add item 4.B.v.
v. Any TalkBoard member may propose a minor amendment to a motion more than 48 hours from the vote closing time and before enough yes or no votes have been achieved to either pass or not-pass the motion. If the originator of a motion, the seconder, and all Yes voters as of the time the amendment was proposed agree that the amendment is both minor and desirable, the TalkBoard President shall revise the motion and ensure that public notices of the motion are also updated. For the purpose of this paragraph, a minor amendment is a change which does not alter the overall intent of the motion nor raise any new issues for consideration which would otherwise warrant the submission of a new motion.

Modify item 4.C.v.
v. Once a TalkBoard member registers a selection that selection is final, except that a member voting No or Abstain may change that vote within 48 hours after a motion has been modified by minor amendment. The TalkBoard President shall manually adjust the original vote count as necessary. If the possibility of changed votes exists due to a proposed minor amendment, the TalkBoard President shall decide whether to defer public announcement of a "shall not pass" outcome until the end of the 48-hour period after the motion is modified.

Add item 4.D.v. and move current item 4.D.v. to become 4.D.vi.
v. When a minor amendment is approved, the TalkBoard President shall instruct the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary to post the text of the change and a list of the approving TalkBoard members in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.

vi. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Count me in.

Bruce
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:01 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Here's the final language

The TalkBoard Guidelines shall be revised as follows:

Add item 4.B.v.
v. Any TalkBoard member may propose a minor amendment to a motion more than 48 hours from the vote closing time and before enough yes or no votes have been cast to assure passage or failure of the motion. If the originator of a motion, the seconder, and all Yes voters as of the time the amendment was proposed agree that the amendment is both minor and desirable, the TalkBoard President shall revise the motion and ensure that public notices of the motion are also updated. For the purpose of this paragraph, a minor amendment is a change which does not alter the overall intent of the motion nor raise any new issues for consideration which would otherwise warrant the submission of a new motion.

Modify item 4.C.v.
v. Once a TalkBoard member registers a selection that selection is final, except that a member voting No or Abstain may change that vote within 48 hours after a motion has been modified by minor amendment. The TalkBoard President shall manually adjust the original vote count as necessary. If the possibility of changed votes exists due to a proposed minor amendment, the TalkBoard President shall decide whether to defer public announcement of a "shall not pass" outcome until the end of the 48-hour period after the motion is modified.

Add item 4.D.v. and move current item 4.D.v. to become 4.D.vi.
v. When a minor amendment is approved, the TalkBoard President shall instruct the TalkBoard Vice President/Secretary to post the text of the change and a list of the approving TalkBoard members in the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote.

vi. Once voting is completed and the TalkBoard President has formally announced the results of the vote in the TalkBoard forum the Vice President/Secretary shall announce the full results of the roll call vote in
a. the public TalkBoard Topics thread announcing the vote
b. a new thread in the Town Hall forum.

Last edited by nsx; Mar 17, 2015 at 4:07 pm
Old Mar 17, 2015, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
I seconded the motion. So, 48 hours after a site-wide announcement appears, voting will begin.

Bruce
Old Mar 20, 2015, 1:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And voting has now begun. It will end April 3 at 3 am Eastern time.

Bruce
Old Mar 24, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: American, United, Southwest, US Airways, Nortwest, Alaska
Follow Robert's Rule of Order

It seems to me that using Robert's Rules of Order would be more desirable. 1. Robert's Rules are universally available and widely used already, 2. the amount of work necessary to restate (and re-run) the motion and vote would be less complicated, 3. you wouldn't need to gain concurrence from everyone who has already begun voting.

Robert's allows for only the concurrence of the maker of the motion and the seconder to accept a "friendly amendment". In addition, the Chair still has the responsibility to determine that a friendly amendment does not substantially change the intent of the original motion.

As a Chair of several committees myself, using Robert's is easy an uncomplicated for entire voting body.
Old Mar 24, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by T-Flyer
It seems to me that using Robert's Rules of Order would be more desirable. 1. Robert's Rules are universally available and widely used already, 2. the amount of work necessary to restate (and re-run) the motion and vote would be less complicated, 3. you wouldn't need to gain concurrence from everyone who has already begun voting.
I tried suggesting that above, but as you see it go zero traction.

Robert's allows for only the concurrence of the maker of the motion and the seconder to accept a "friendly amendment". In addition, the Chair still has the responsibility to determine that a friendly amendment does not substantially change the intent of the original motion.
I know that's a common belief. But it's not so:

1) An amendment is a proposal to change a motion – a proposed action – being considered by a group.

(2) Sometimes people suggest amendments with the intention of making the original motion ineffective, or defeating its purpose. These are hostile amendments, offered with negative intent.

(3) Sometimes people suggest amendments that they sincerely believe will improve the original motion. These are friendly amendments, offered with positive intent.

(4) An unfortunate custom has arisen whereby when a person suggests a “friendly amendment,” the presider often turns to the maker of the motion to ask him if he would accept the amendment. If he agrees, the presider sometimes also asks the seconder if she would accept the amendment.

(5) This is wrong!

(6) Once a motion has been made, seconded, and stated by the chair, it belongs to the group as a whole, not to the individual who first proposed it. It is the group as a whole that must accept or reject any proposed amendment, whatever the intent of the proposer. The maker of the motion, and the seconder, have the same rights as the other members of the group – no more and no less.

(7) When someone offers a friendly amendment, we suggest that the presider say, “A friendly amendment is handled just like any other amendment. Is there a second?” This language doesn’t make people feel stupid, but sets the group in the right procedural path.

(8) If the presider turns to the original maker of the motion to ask if he approves of the proposed change, any member can say “point of order.” This stops the action. The member can then explain the error.
http://www.jurassicparliament.com/_b...dly_amendment/
Old Mar 27, 2015, 10:57 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

I have not voted yet in case there was more feedback pertaining to this change in policy for TalkBoard; and the vote is scheduled to end on April 3, 2015.

Are there any other thoughts before I vote?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
I have not voted yet in case there was more feedback pertaining to this change in policy for TalkBoard; and the vote is scheduled to end on April 3, 2015.

Are there any other thoughts before I vote?
I was doing the same but saw none.

I voted for this motion. I don't love it. But it's good enough.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:09 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by kokonutz
I was doing the same but saw none.

I voted for this motion. I don't love it. But it's good enough.
Could a "good enough" motion have been made better before putting it on the floor for a vote?
Old Mar 27, 2015, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"The perfect is the enemy of the good." -- Voltaire

We've been round and round on this. You can edit forever, or you can say, "This looks good to me," and make the motion. If you are asking whether it could be even better, well, anything that anyone does could be better if given more time and effort. That's a given.

Bruce
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:40 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
And I still see this as "we screwed up the motion so let's find an easy way out to safe face" vs simply voting the motion down, taking the good parts of the motion along with member feedback as applicable and getting it right with a new and better motion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.