Wiki Posts
Search

Voting Ended - Motion Failed: "Formalizing a Friendly Amendment process"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by nsx
- It's not stubbornness; it's idealism. I empathize but after plenty of experience I bow to reality.

- The way it's always been done is ad hoc by the TalkBoard President. This proposal will standardize what already occurs and will continue to occur in any case.
As I said above:

And, frankly, I'd MUCH rather have this 'friendly amendment' process be a FORMAL process than have it be something the TB just sort of does behind closed doors by consensus or whatever.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
"that's how it's always been done" is not a justification for stubbornness.
Stubbornly insisting that the current process is broken and the new & improved is better is not justification enough to amend the TB Guidelines. Colour me unconvinced that lowering the bar to foster fast fixes is something that really needs to be done and seems more like a solution in search of a problem.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:51 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm not saying the current process is broken, but I also saw how this friendly amendment can be used for the good to improve the current process.

And also, saying it arose after a problem was discovered, and saying nsx and kokonutz have spoken of numerous examples when it's been helpful, I think it's a solution to an actual problem.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:18 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by kokonutz
As I said above:

And, frankly, I'd MUCH rather have this 'friendly amendment' process be a FORMAL process than have it be something the TB just sort of does behind closed doors by consensus or whatever.
Me too. In fact, if the formal and open process incentivizes people on TB to be more careful before making and seconding motions, this would also be a very good thing.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 4:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's always easy for the people who take little part in the discussion or suggestion process to play Monday Morning Quarterback. I made what I consider my best effort, and then I was happy to take suggestions afterwards and want to keep that door open in the future. I see nothing wrong with what I did.

Also, your last sentence is frankly preposterous.
It's ridiculous to accuse me of taking "little part in the discussion." In fact, in the public TBT thread on the rental car fora (not the voting underway thread that the TB Secretary started yesterday), as of about an hour and twenty minutes after you made the post I'm quoting, there were 65 posts in the thread, of which 8 were by me. In fact, five TB members participated there and I participated more often than all but one person. By the same time, the private TB thread on the topic had 46 posts, of which 8 were mine. All TB members (plus our Community Director) posted at least once there. The people with the most posts there had 11, 9, 8, and 7 respectively, so that my 8 posts would put me in third place (of nine) and definitely in the top half of TB for participation as measured by this metric.

There's nothing at all that's "preposterous" about expecting that when someone makes a motion to close A, B, and C, this is exactly what they mean: Exactly the list of the A, B, and C fora should be closed, specifically all of them and nothing more. If the person instead intends to close only A and B, or all of A, B, C, and D, then the correct list should appear in the motion. Similarly, if someone makes a motion (and it's seconded) which lists the set of fora to remain, then that list can only be taken to also correctly convey the intent of the people making and seconding the motion.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:12 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Changing a motion so that it no longer calls for the elimination of a forum is hardly a "tweak" and it certainly isn't a typo. In fact, actually looking at a forum before calling for its elimination in a formal motion would seem to be a very reasonable first step. If a forum is listed for elimination in some motion that has been put forth in the TB forum, to me that would be seem to be evidence of "intent" on the part of the people who are proposing and seconding the motion.
This.
Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that people still wouldn't focus fully on the matter until the last step. Again, human nature.
That's your belief. Why not try it and see?
So we should wait 16 days for the motion to be voted down then go back to the beginning when instead we could fix it and go through only one vote?

"that's how it's always been done" is not a justification for stubbornness.
No. There's nothing that says all votes must take 2 weeks. If the motion needs to be "tweaked," then everyone can vote it down within a few days, and a new motion can be made.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
With this TalkBoard, votes will take a full two weeks, trust me.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 6:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kipper
That's your belief. Why not try it and see?
I'm pretty confident in that belief. We have been trying to be more careful at least since 2013 and we have not reached 100% first pass success. I'm very patient but the time to act is overdue.

Also, we would slow down all motions in order to reduce but not eliminate the need for friendly amendments, which would remain unsanctioned by any formal process. That looks like a poor balance of costs vs. benefits to me.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 7:38 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by nsx
I'm pretty confident in that belief. We have been trying to be more careful at least since 2013 and we have not reached 100% first pass success. I'm very patient but the time to act is overdue.

Also, we would slow down all motions in order to reduce but not eliminate the need for friendly amendments, which would remain unsanctioned by any formal process. That looks like a poor balance of costs vs. benefits to me.
Then define minor/friendly in the process (leaving it open can only cause problems later), or simply vote it down if it needs to be changed, and present a new motion.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:01 pm

Then define minor/friendly in the process (leaving it open can only cause problems later), or simply vote it down if it needs to be changed, and present a new motion.
This is what I've been saying. It shouldn't be left open for whoever is TB president to unilaterally determine what changes are minor or even "technical" (with the latter category of changes presumably not even requiring the approval of anyone else, including the person who made the motion, the person who seconded it, and anyone who has already voted yes).
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:26 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
With this TalkBoard, votes will take a full two weeks, trust me.
Then come up with a rule that would allow the author of the proposal to withdraw the motion after the voting starts, once the problem with the motion is identifed. Seems much easier to withdraw the motion if there's some minor issue with it, and then come back and introduce a new motion with the corrected language fixing whatever was wrong.

It shouldn't be left open for whoever is TB president to unilaterally determine what changes are minor or even "technical" (with the latter category of changes presumably not even requiring the approval of anyone else, including the person who made the motion, the person who seconded it, and anyone who has already voted yes).
Agree. Why not just allow the TB member that introduced the motion to take it off the table and come back with a new motion with corrections? Wouldn't that work?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:47 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Then come up with a rule that would allow the author of the proposal to withdraw the motion after the voting starts, once the problem with the motion is identifed. Seems much easier to withdraw the motion if there's some minor issue with it, and then come back and introduce a new motion with the corrected language fixing whatever was wrong.
I'd by far rather see TB move in this direction than the proposal outlined by OP.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by tom911

Agree. Why not just allow the TB member that introduced the motion to take it off the table and come back with a new motion with corrections? Wouldn't that work?
One would hope so, but some TB members are likely to insist that the vote proceed as quickly as possible, even telling us that we can just go ahead and vote on an "informal" motion [I was taught that all motions are formal, so I don't even understand what an informal motion is supposed to do unless it's merely a straw vote on some complicated principle that will be fleshed out later in one or more formal motions], where the "informal motion" doesn't even attempt to clarify exactly what steps we're supposedly voting to recommend. Specifically, if one or more fora are to be closed, what will happen to the posts that are already in those fora? Should they be deleted, archived, just left there in the closed forum or what?
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
I'd by far rather see TB move in this direction than the proposal outlined by OP.
Essentially, this is pretty close to the effect of a friendly amendment except that the friendly amendment requires the acquiescence of the person who seconded the motion and possibly those who have already voted yes.

In terms of TB specific rules and procedures, a friendly amendment would permit those who have already voted to change their votes (normally not permitted for TB votes) and also, according to the current discussion, not change the timing of the vote.

Withdrawal of the motion would appear to be a unilateral action by the person who made the initial motion. The clock would then reset when the replacement motion is moved and seconded. Site-wide announcement would be required followed by the new feedback period before voting can begin.

At the moment, I don't have strong feelings about these two options (except to point ouut that I've already said that if those who have voted yes are allowed to veto the friendly amendment, then we need to specify that the privilege only applies to those who voted before the friendly amendment was mentioned, in order to prevent someone from quickly voting yes on a deficient motion just to be able to torpedo it by refusing to approve the friendly amendment), but if changes are left to the discretion of the TB president (for example, to determine unilaterally what changes are to be treated as minor), then the scope of such changes must be defined so as to be clearly limited.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 9:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Then define minor/friendly in the process
Would you please please try doing that? I'm stumped.

This is what I've been saying. It shouldn't be left open for whoever is TB president to unilaterally determine what changes are minor or even "technical"
Although that's exactly where we are now. If you have a better idea I really want to see it. That's why we are having this discussion rather than rushing to a vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.