Reload this Page >

Motion Passed, Voting Over: Restructuring of the Car Rental Forums

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2015, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Originally Posted by bdschobel

On March 12, 2015, TalkBoard passed by a 6-3 vote the following amended motion:

Originally Posted by Amended Motion
TalkBoard recommends the following restructuring of car rental forums:

1. "Car Rental Programs/Partners" heading to remain the same

2. Add a new forum at the top of the list titled "Rental Car Discussion" and subtitled "General Topics, plus Alamo, Budget, Enterprise, Dollar, and Thrifty"

3. Retain these four separate forums:
Avis | Preferred
Hertz | Gold Plus Rewards
National | Emerald Club
Sixt |

4. Close these four forums:
Budget | Fastbreak
Dollar | Express Renter Rewards
Thrifty | Blue Chip Rewards
Other Car Rental Programs (i.e., Alamo, Enterprise)

5. Move all threads from the four closed forums into the new "Rental Car Discussion" forum

6. TalkBoard prefers that the threads moved from closing the Dollar, Budget, and Thrifty forums be identified somehow in the new, general "Rental Car Discussion" forum. That identification could use tags like are used for Hotel Reviews in the Luxury Hotels forum; an appropriate prefix could be added to each thread title; or some other way could be used to identify the former homes of these threads. If such identification is feasible within the next four months or so, we favor delaying the forum merger until the identification task is completed.
Voting yes: bdschobel, CMK10, dchristiva, jason8612, kokonutz, nsx

Voting no: Canarsie, MSPeconomist, rwoman
Print Wikipost

Motion Passed, Voting Over: Restructuring of the Car Rental Forums

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2015, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by N639DL
I think the forums should be:

-General Discussion (including smaller companies not mentioned below)
-Avis/Budget
-Dollar/Thrifty
-Enterprise
-Hertz
-National/Alamo
-Sixt

I wouldn't object to National/Alamo/Enterprise being merged together since they are all owned by the same company and use the same shuttle and facility (such as at DEN). However Enterprise uses a lot more local, smaller rental locations which makes me think they are deserving of their own forum. Same thing for Hertz.
I would object. National's loyalty program is light years ahead of Enterprise's. I have no clue about Alamo as I've never rented from them. They might all be owned by Enterprise but they are vastly different. Hell, last week I drove a BMW and this week a 370Z...both for the price of a midsize.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:35 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by CMK10
Yeah you requested numbers, I said if you were interested in seeing numbers perhaps you could look them up yourself
With respect CMK10, I find this rather flippant and duplicitous. When a member of FT proposes a new forum they have to answer the completely ridiculous questionnaire and work out the numbers in order to "help Talkboard understand it"

I feel that a Talkboard member should be held to the same standards when proposing to close a forum.

I'd like to see an EVA Air forum, DYOR if you are interested. Not going to wash is it?

My 2˘, I like the idea of car rental companies being grouped under their ownership. I also like the idea of an additional general forum.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
I feel that a Talkboard member should be held to the same standards when proposing to close a forum.
Not to worry as TB never does that.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 8:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
With respect CMK10, I find this rather flippant and duplicitous. When a member of FT proposes a new forum they have to answer the completely ridiculous questionnaire and work out the numbers in order to "help Talkboard understand it"

I'd like to see an EVA Air forum, DYOR if you are interested. Not going to wash is it?

My 2˘, I like the idea of car rental companies being grouped under their ownership. I also like the idea of an additional general forum.
It's not duplicitous at all, I had already provided numbers in the public forum for why I supported closing forums. I felt that if another TB member wanted more than the work I had already done, she was welcome to do her own research. For the record, every time someone asks for a new forum or to close a forum, I take it upon myself to go count the number of threads on the subject and report it.

Originally Posted by tcook052
Wait a week and a half, you may be eating your words. But if you have other forums you want closed, by all means suggest it. If I agree with you I will personally make a motion to close them.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 9:50 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Originally Posted by tcook052
Isn't this a proposal to close FIVE of them!?

I have to admit: in 17 years on FlyerTalk I don't think I have ever once clicked on a car rental forum here. I rent from Hertz for business and Budget for personal and sixt over seas. But never enough to make elite, so it just doesn't matter to me (I'm a taxi/car service sort of guy).

Which is to say I have no idea if this motion is better or worse than the status quo.

And I'm not seeing much here that convinces me to vote for or against this motion.

For the first time ever, I am seriously considering an 'abstain' vote, because I just don't know what would be best for posters in this case.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Actually, it's four, but your point is well taken.

Bruce
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by bdschobel
Actually, it's four, but your point is well taken.

Bruce
Ah, right, the whole friendly amendment thing....
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I think programs that regularly reward flyer miles and bonuses to renters should have a named presence, and I would also recommend combining board titles based on ownership (such as Avis/Budget). Maybe there won't be as big as thread count for the "smaller" brand, but removing it by name entirely seems a bit tough especially when it is shared fleet at most of these locations. I don't think that would be negative for posters either as the thread volume isn't that significant as a whole.

Avis Budget Group might be more appropriate as Payless is now part of that (awarding WN points).

I think Hertz and ERAC companies also have many portfolio brands that should be posted within those family forums. Only through outside brands (Fox, Silvercar, etc.) belong in the general forums.

I actually think it is worse to move the related brands into a General Forum as many of the policy changes (gas refuel charges, grace windows, fees, etc.) are done across the brands for a particular company.

Rasheed
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 pm

I'm a pretty regular user of the National forum, and would not be thrilled to see Enterprise or Alamo there. National's unique aisle system means that the rental issues are quite different from those you see at Enterprise or Alamo. I would tend to think that the inclusion of those 2 brands would leave the forum cluttered and unusable.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by kokonutz

I have to admit: in 17 years on FlyerTalk I don't think I have ever once clicked on a car rental forum here. I rent from Hertz for business and Budget for personal and sixt over seas. But never enough to make elite, so it just doesn't matter to me (I'm a taxi/car service sort of guy).

Which is to say I have no idea if this motion is better or worse than the status quo.

And I'm not seeing much here that convinces me to vote for or against this motion.

For the first time ever, I am seriously considering an 'abstain' vote, because I just don't know what would be best for posters in this case.
Ok, so instead of taking the lazy way out I decided to actually do my job as a TB member and do some poking around.

And apparently I am not the only poster who doesn't spend much time talking about rental cars!

The Budget, Dollar and Thrifty forums seem hopelessly moribund.

And there seems to be a good case for a general forum.

So the only question to me is whether combining the moribund companies with the other little-talked-about companies and the general forum is a good idea OR if there should be a general forum and a separate 'other rental company' forum along with the 4 strong company forums...and that seems to be the source of at least one or two no votes so far.

I don't feel strongly one way or the other on that question, though.

So at this point I could see myself voting for this proposal. But I would not be devastated if this motion was voted down and we came back with a proposal that had a general forum, the 4 active company forums and an 'other car rental company' forum.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Somewhat OT, but I've always rented from Hertz as I had early good experiences and felt that they were relatively ethical and reliable worldwide. I generally got good rates with my AAA CPC number and a few times I got a free day in Europe with my Aegean Airlines ticket. Some recent bad experiences have made me resolve to try at least National and to sign up for the National and Avis frequent renter fast track programs. As I've already mentioned in this discussion, my only Enterprise experiences have been courtesy of my car dealer so that I neither picked nor paid.

If the numbers support it, I could be in favor of perhaps merging the three underutilized fora into the "other rental cars" forum, but I think there's an argument to do this one step at a time, starting with the creation of a general rental car issues forum. It might be worthwhile to observe if this impacts the underutilized fora before doing something (merger) that would be difficult to reverse without someone spending a lot of work (time and effort) undoing the action.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dwbf11
Forgive me as it's hard for me to figure out exactly what is going to be deleted/moved around given all of the noise in here. I am fine with the amendment as stated in the first post, but now I am confused.
The first post is accurate. Subsequent discussion does not change what is being voted on.

As an initial matter, while I realize there is limited traffic in many of these forums, I wonder what exactly is prompting this sudden deletion of these sub forums. Is FT tight on server space or something? As my fellow moderator tcook052 aptly noted, just because a forum does not have a ton of posting activity does not mean it is not viewed, searched, or otherwise accessed by FT users and guests, and this could be handled by other, less drastic means.
That's the crux of the issue: Delete the quiet forums and merge their content or leave them and come back with a different proposal only to create the general rental car discussion forum.

Notwithstanding that, and, to the extent this discussion involves a move towards rental companies being grouped by "parent" company, my $.02 as moderator of the National forum is please don't.
Plenty of people objected to that idea, including me. We are customers. National is from Venus, Enterprise is from Mars. Don't ask me where Alamo is from!
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Slightly off topic and for possible future use, I'd like to hear people's opinions on:

1. A forum for Lyft, Uber, Taxis, and other ride services
2. Placement of such a forum, under Car Rental or somewhere else

Right now such discussion probably belongs in the geographically organized Destinations forums. As Lyft and Uber grow, that might not remain the best place for discussion. If they ever were to start a loyalty program (and why wouldn't they be thinking about that?) we would definitely need a forum for each program.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 10:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nsx
Slightly off topic and for possible future use, I'd like to hear people's opinions on:

Right now such discussion probably belongs in the geographically organized Destinations forums. As Lyft and Uber grow, that might not remain the best place for discussion. If they ever were to start a loyalty program (and why wouldn't they be thinking about that?) we would definitely need a forum for each program.
There's already a thread about that:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/talkb...flyertalk.html
Old Mar 4, 2015, 11:08 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nsx

Definitely but why limit it to only one forum per program? Why not have several dozen forums for each program and group them geographically so that way there would be a forum for virtually every city allowing members to easily place their posts.

Or have those several dozen forums for the main ride sharing programs and then place taxi's and other ride services in 4 geographic "other" transportation forums, one each for Other Asian, Australian, and South Pacific, Other European, Other Middle Eastern and African and Other North and South American.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.