Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > TalkBoard Topics
Reload this Page >

Space Available Forum (for military and their retirees)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM / LT Gold (LT UC), DL SM, AA PLT (AC), OZ, KE; GE and Korean SES (like GE); Marriott Gold

Although the using population is limited to military (and retirees), would there be a place on FT for postings on Space Available (Space-A) travel? There are some blogs on military-related sites, but would it make any sense to have something on FT?
Old Feb 3, 2015, 11:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Why is this in Trip Reports?

In any case, I'd suggest that FT is probably not a good place for such a forum given the very limited audience. Probably better on military related sites.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:47 am

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
As this appears to be a request for a new forum I shall move it over to TalkBoard Topics.

Moomba
Moderator: Trip Reports
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
OP, when asking for consideration of a new forum, it is generally helpful for TalkBoard members if you answer the following questions:

The following are qualitative criteria that the TalkBoard believes are useful to consider when evaluating proposals to create, close, split, or move forums. Whenever a forum change is discussed on the TalkBoard Topics, the TalkBoard encourages posters to fully address these criteria in addition to any other reasons supporting or opposing the change.
  1. Will the forum be (or is it now) beneficial to FlyerTalk?
  2. Will the new forum benefit a relationship with FlyerTalk? E.g., does the forum provide value for FT members, such as a friendly ear highly placed in the company
  3. Is FT the best place to discuss this subject?
  4. Is there a passionate following? This is essential in order to provide dedicated expert helpers to get questions answered.
  5. Is a critical mass of posts and readers anticipated or existing? We need adequate traffic to keep everyone visiting frequently. One living forum is more valuable than two mostly dead ones.
  6. Is this the best place on FlyerTalk for this subject? This is the classification issue. The answer depends primarily on achieving and maintaining critical mass. It also depends on whether or where the discussion might (or does) occur in the absence of the forum.
  7. For proposals to split a forum, is the split expected to improve the signal to noise ratio? Why?

Procedural Statements by the TalkBoard
  8. The TalkBoard does not anticipate using automatic sunsetting of forums, preferring instead to create forums only when we they are strongly expected to succeed.
  9. At the end of each year, the TalkBoard President will ask the FlyerTalk Host for end-of-year forum activity metrics. Each February, the TalkBoard shall review the least-used forums for possible closure, based on the end-of-year metrics. Members should not expect public notice in advance of proposals to close forums due to the potential for manipulation of the metrics.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 10:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by relangford
Although the using population is limited to military (and retirees), would there be a place on FT for postings on Space Available (Space-A) travel? There are some blogs on military-related sites, but would it make any sense to have something on FT?
Disclosures: /Mod hat off; I am a military veteran.

Interesting idea, and I'm sure it will garner both discussion and TalkBoard consideration. (If I'd not requested and been granted an "early out" to attend school, I had sufficient accumulated leave I'd originally planned a 'round the world itinerary using Space Available.)

One roadblock I see is that "Space A" (Military Space Available Travel, for eligible active duty and retired military members and their eligible dependents and certain civilians employed by the military overseas) is not available on commercial airlines; it is only available on military aircraft (most commonly USAF AMC -Air Mobility Command MAC - Military Airlift Command and some military charter aircraft. Many if not most by far depart and arrive from / at military bases. (The only exception I'm aware of is BWI.)

FlyerTalk at this time has no vehicle that deals with military and military charter flights. And none of this is available to the average FlyerTalker, other than those FT members who are coincidentally military, retired military or military-employed overseas civilians. They're most likely here for the same reasons everyone else is here on FT, and it's got little to do with military travel other than specific offerings commercial airlines provide military (we have an extensive thread on the American Airlines | AAdvantage forum).

OTOH, it seems there are more likely venues "Space A" would be discussed at length, such as the topic-dedicated forum at SPACEA.NET (http://www.spacea.net) and MilitaryHops at http://militaryhops.com.

As well, there are:

http://www.amc.af.mil/amctravel/

http://www.militaryonesource.mil

http://militaryhops.com, which links to the top twelve sites for military and retiree travel.

http://www.baseops.net/spaceatravel/

It may be an attempt at such a forum here would represent an unnecessary duplication of effort.

This is all likely grist for the mill.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 11, 2015 at 10:59 am Reason: I'm a MATS - MAC guy ;)
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP may also have been asking which forum to post in?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There are apparently a few blogs that focus on military travel. The one I've perused in Boarding Area seems to be about travel for military business (and therefore more generally government travel) rather than leisure travel using military (and retired military) benefits. In that direction, it might make sense to expand the scope to include more general government travel--a topic that arises regularly in the hotel and airline fora--if we consider some sort of a military travel forum.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There are apparently a few blogs that focus on military travel. The one I've perused in Boarding Area seems to be about travel for military business (and therefore more generally government travel) rather than leisure travel using military (and retired military) benefits. In that direction, it might make sense to expand the scope to include more general government travel--a topic that arises regularly in the hotel and airline fora--if we consider some sort of a military travel forum.
I'm unsure if you're suggesting consideration of a military travel forum, or a broader government travel forum that would include military travel?
Old Feb 4, 2015, 11:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by JDiver
I'm unsure if you're suggesting consideration of a military travel forum, or a broader government travel forum that would include military travel?
I'm thinking more of Government Travel (including Military) since I don't envision that Military (alone) would get enough traffic to justify a forum by itself and it isn't naturally a subforum of anything here, if we were to decide to include some place for military travel discussions (including space available travel). Implicitly, this would mostly refer to USA government and USA military (as do the discussions now of government airfares, government travel agencies and procedures, including the Fly America act, although some hotel government rates would seem to apply to foreign government employees as well) since there wouldn't be very much discussion of government/military travel under other countries unless there are commonalities for British Comonwealth, EU/NATO, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 4:09 am

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm thinking more of Government Travel (including Military) since I don't envision that Military (alone) would get enough traffic to justify a forum by itself and it isn't naturally a subforum of anything here, if we were to decide to include some place for military travel discussions (including space available travel). Implicitly, this would mostly refer to USA government and USA military (as do the discussions now of government airfares, government travel agencies and procedures, including the Fly America act, although some hotel government rates would seem to apply to foreign government employees as well) since there wouldn't be very much discussion of government/military travel under other countries unless there are commonalities for British Comonwealth, EU/NATO, etc.
Would questions about city pairs for an individual airline/questions about qualification for status go in an individual airline forum or the government travel forum?

Would questions about specific hotels or chains go in that forum, or the hotel forum?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by kipper
Would questions about city pairs for an individual airline/questions about qualification for status go in an individual airline forum or the government travel forum?

Would questions about specific hotels or chains go in that forum, or the hotel forum?
If questions are airline/hotel specific (status, property, etc), I'd think they'd belong in the respective program's forum.

In a general sense, gov't / military members might have questions about selection in general, which could fit in a gov/mil forum.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
As an example, I think this thread - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...nt-travel.html - currently residing in the DL forum, would fit in a US Government / Military Travel forum.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 7:26 am

Other examples would include government travel agencies such as SATO, ticketing and hotel reservation procedures, exceptions to using the government contract carrier, Fly America Act, how per diem is calculated for travel and non travel days, use of a personal vehicle for government business travel, etc.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by JDiver
It may be an attempt at such a forum here would represent an unnecessary duplication of effort.
Appreciate the input and is there really enough demand for such a forum or is this a solution out looking for a problem?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:38 pm

If military travel, there are also military hotels, e.g. Hale Koa (House of the Warrior) military hotel in HNL near the HHV.

I was a member of the Marines' Memorial Association with the Marines' Memorial Club and Hotel on Sutter St. at Mason St. (close to Union Square) in San Francisco. We had reciprocal access to a gazillion hotels and clubs from Australia to China, Singapore and many more in the USA - link.

It gets somewhat complex, so I'm merely attempting to point out this is a large-ish project.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 5, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.