Wiki Posts
Search

Forum for Discussing Credit Card Fraud/ID Theft etc

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2015, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Exclamation Forum for Discussing Credit Card Fraud/ID Theft etc

Good morning Friends.

May I request that you consider adding a forum or a sub forum under an appropriate forum for discussing fraudulent credit card charges? This would be similar to trip reports; members can share their experience in dealing with the charges they didn't make, where such a charge was done, which merchant etc.

Over the new year weekend, I had to deal with a very small charge that I didn't make on one of my credit cards, and the first place I looked for more information was FT Forums.

This would over time could turn into a valuable source for all given the popularity of FT.

Please forgive me if this is already requested and decided.
dizzipay likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:15 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Flyertalk discusses credit cards primarily in the context of earning travel rewards. We do have some discussion of fraud, but again it is primarily in the context of travel. (For example, when a bank mistakenly denies legitimate charges while travelling.)

I think that a dedicated forum for discussion of credit card fraud and identity theft strays too far Flyertalk core competency: travel.
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:19 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Consumer issues on FT tend to be covered on OMNI. The Talk Board has determined you need 180 days and 180 posts for that forum, though, so you won't have access for a while.

When you do get to OMNI, here's a sampling of topics there the last few months:
Personal Impacts From Recent Data Breaches?

Shopped at Target since Thanksgiving? Time to get a new card....

Share your CC fraud/scam/hacked story

Credit Card Fraud - what do you guys think (long thread)

Your most interesting fraudulent charge was??
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Fair enough. Thank you.

I thought I'll ask because the two incidents that happened to me, and a few others I've heard happened during travels.

Thank you. By the way, does the OMNI forum stay hidden until I reach that 180/180? If not, where can I find it?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:53 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Yes, it will stay hidden, as will Coupon Connection for trading things like airline upgrades
and certificates.

I was on the phone with Chase last night regarding charges on a closed Hyatt account that was compromised in November when I was in D.C. (and my cloned card was in Southern CA), and this is not the first time I've been a victim. The credit card companies themselves have been pretty easy to deal with and I've not paid a cent for unauthorized charges. Even with the activity in OMNI, it's not a heavily discussed topic, from my perspective, because the banks tend to deal with it pretty quickly once you or they become aware. In my last two cases, the banks contacted me within minutes of the fraudulent charges that didn't fit my spending pattern.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.