FT needs a General car rental subforum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FT needs a General car rental subforum

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2015, 9:45 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Excuse me for asking a perhaps naive question, but why not Enterprise? I've never used them but AFAIK they're a major rental car company.
It's not a naive question, but as you can tell, there are very few threads about them on FT. Certainly not more than the general forum can handle.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by aBroadAbroad
Not subforums, please. Just the forum category with forums listed beneath, starting with the general-discussion forum:
Car Rental Companies and Programs
Car Rental Companies and Programs
Avis | Preferred
Hertz | Gold Plus Reward
National | Emerald Club
Is a separate third-party booking/opaque rental forum really necessary? It seems like this is precisely the type of thing that goes in the general-discussion forum and/or the existing Online Travel Booking forum.
^^ to all of the above.

Originally Posted by CMK10
It's not a naive question, but as you can tell, there are very few threads about them on FT. Certainly not more than the general forum can handle.
It's interesting that is the case, given that Enterprise is the world's largest car rental company (and that was before they purchased Vanguard (d.b.a National and Alamo). But yes, they're (understandably) not popular around these parts because their entire rental process tends to treat everyone, even road warriors, as a first-time renter (which a large portion of their market is, to be fair). Between the lack of having anything pre-processed (so you have to deal with a rental agent pulling up and processing your rental when you arrive), rental software that intentionally slows the rental process down and forces the rental agent to engage you with extra products (upgrades, insurance, gas, etc.), and the dreaded full walk-around of the car (including showing you the car's operation, as if you'd never seen a 2013 Impala before in your life!), it's not an attractive option for the "just want to get on the road" crowd.

That said, I still maintain that you can make their system work to your advantage with just a small investment of time. They covet their J.D. Power awards so dearly that they will do literally anything to ensure you are (the key words:) "completely satisfied" with your rental, and branch management bonuses are heavily tied to the branch's "ESQI" (Enterprise Service Quality Index) score, which is based on random post-rental phone surveys of customers (and yes, by renting, you opt into these). Even entry-level "Management Trainees" (i.e. the fresh-out-of-college idiot who just rented you your car) can wipe away two days of rental charges without even having to explain anything to their supervisor, and bigger reductions are easily possible, too. So, all you need to do is saunter up to the agent when you return the car and mention these key words: "You know, I was not completely satisfied with my rental." You'll see a look of sheer panic cross the agent's face, and after a few seconds when he recovers, you'll see him stutter and finally manage to get out: "Well, what would make you completely satisfied?" Ask for your two free days, and boom--instant discount.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by nsx
Enterprise specializes in long-term rentals, especially insurance company replacement cars. They are not popular with business travelers.

The common discussion area should suffice to cover Enterprise.
OK, that explains it. I know Enterprise as the company that my car dealer used to use for the loaners they provide when cars are in for service.
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
OK, that explains it. I know Enterprise as the company that my car dealer used to use for the loaners they provide when cars are in for service.
That's them. I worked for them from 2007-2008 including at the PHX Airport in fact. It's amazing how in the last seven years how little they've evolved. Jackal's description above is spot on, especially about why people don't like them for airport rentals.

On another note, I've proposed a motion in the private forum and we're hammering out the details now.

Last edited by CMK10; Feb 20, 2015 at 8:45 am Reason: Typo
Old Feb 20, 2015, 6:14 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would be better to FIRST "hammer out the details" and THEN make the motion. In fact, as a general principle, IMO it's better to hammer out the details in the public TBT forum devoted to the issue.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 8:45 am

It would be better to FIRST "hammer out the details" and THEN make the motion. In fact, as a general principle, IMO it's better to hammer out the details in the public TBT forum devoted to the issue.
Says you, I think my way works just fine. It seems once a motion gets proposed we get some discussion momentum going.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:07 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Says you, I think my way works just fine. It seems once a motion gets proposed we get some discussion momentum going.
I'm very much with MSP on this. TalkBoard has had nothing but trouble over the years from voting on incompletely considered drafts. In the last few years it's been better. Patience is crucial.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I'm very much with MSP on this. TalkBoard has had nothing but trouble over the years from voting on incompletely considered drafts. In the last few years it's been better. Patience is crucial.
No one is voting on anything, I proposed a draft motion, based on your suggestion I might add, and until it gets a second and until everyone weighs in there will be no voting. There's plenty of patience, we've been discussing this issue for weeks.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:33 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
No one is voting on anything, I proposed a draft motion, based on your suggestion I might add, and until it gets a second and until everyone weighs in there will be no voting. There's plenty of patience, we've been discussing this issue for weeks.
One should not ask for a second until the draft is the best it can be. Otherwise you are just one person's error away from starting a vote on the wrong proposal. It's a process that the person asking for a second does not control. It puts way too much power in the hands of, for example, someone who opposes the idea and would prefer to see a flawed proposal fail.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by nsx
One should not ask for a second until the draft is the best it can be. Otherwise you are just one person's error away from starting a vote on the wrong proposal. It's a process that the person asking for a second does not control. It puts way too much power in the hands of, for example, someone who opposes the idea and would prefer to see a flawed proposal fail.
Again, says you. Especially as I said "Anyone else want to weigh in?" after my motion. There is such a thing as plodding along too slowly. I think my draft was the best it could be, but I still asked for and welcome input.

I also think TB Members are above the scenario in your last sentence.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
...There is such a thing as plodding along too slowly....
Yes, there is. But I don't believe that we are even close to that. There is no emergency here. We can take our time and get it right.

Some observers of TalkBoard want to see a steady stream of motions, or they think that we're all on vacation somewhere. I don't intend to spin my wheels just to make those uninformed observers happy.

Bruce
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:37 pm

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
I agree with you. I would prefer that details and discussion take place in the public forum, rather than the private forum.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Actually, the discussion tends to occur in both places at once.

Bruce
Old Feb 23, 2015, 3:22 am

Programs: HH Silver
There is such a thing as plodding along too slowly.
Haste makes waste.
Old Feb 24, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by Pub24
How serious is TB about member feedback when, less than 24 hours after an initial proposal is made, discussion is effectively cut off when a motion is made and seconded in its private forum?
Why do you say that discussion had been cut off? No one can vote yet and not all of us--meaning me for sure--will be voting at the first possible moment. There's been discussion on the general idea and now people can choose to continue to discuss the general idea, to make comments on the specific motion, or both. Please believe me that I'm listening and haven't yet decided how I will vote.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.